Anyone else shedding for the wedding (& beyond)??

Options
Since graduating, a lethal combo of sedentary jobs and living with a partner who can eat whatever he likes but stays lean, I've put on almost 2 stone in just over 10 years.

At 5ft6, with a small frame, this weight has made me look and feel so much older and frumpier. It's affected my confidence, I hate to say, and has also destroyed my love of clothes. It's sounds cliched, but I geuninely used to enjoy using fashion as a form of self-expression (and to top it off, I work in the industry). With this extra weight, I feel a bit trapped and end up wearing really boring clothes that don't make me feel happy inside. I've been in this rut for too long.

However, my "slim Jim" kindly popped the question and I'm getting married next year. Three weeks ago I decided that enough was enough, I'm going to lose weight and I'm going to find THE dress AND I'm going to look bloody amazing in it :#

So, I re-downloaded MFP (for the hundredth time this decade), and found my old copy of the South Beach Diet. Plus, I recently changed jobs and am now on my feet all day. I also walk 10k steps a day, to and from work.

I've followed the diet to the T, and so far - it hasn't been too difficult. I think it's because I know this is it, it's now or never to say bye to the belly. I've finished SBD phase 1 now, now onto phase 2, and have lost 6lbs in almost 3 weeks. My tummy feels a little less jiggly and I'm not craving sugar half as much as pre-diet.

If anyone else is on a similar journey, I'd love to hear from you. I've got a long way to go, but I'll definitely be more successful knowing I'm not alone!

Replies

• kimmie2128
    kimmie2128 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello. Thank you for sharing your story. I always appreciate people that can open up like that, especially when it's about something personal.

Although I am not in the exact same boat as you by losing weight, I am working on transforming my body into a more lean and fit figure. I am also getting married next year, so I know what it's like to have that same end goal.

I've been cleaning up my food choices the past few weeks as well as introducing new workouts into my daily routine. It is a lot of work and a lot of research is needed to get the final results you want, but I love everything about health and fitness.

I'd love to help you along on your journey and offer anything new that I learn that will help you reach your goal.

Congrats on your engagement by the way! The best is yet to be
  • leanneuddin83
    leanneuddin83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite I got married & gained weight after because I've got too comfortable being happy & content have 2 stone to shift now to be pre wedding weight
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I lost 10lbs before the wedding and 25lbs after we got married. My goal is to loose 30lbs before our anniversary which is end of September. 5lbs to go!
  • vkr2q7
    vkr2q7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married next year as well and have about 60lbs to lose to reach my goal weight. I totally understand living with a guy who can eat anything and still look good, and I'm coming to the realization that we can't be eating the same meals all the time or I'll never take off the weight! Ready to get started in earnest and would love the support of people in similar situations!
  • kimmie2128
    Options
    vk2q7 - I cook separate meals basically everyday for me and my fiancé. It's kind of a pain and creates way more dishes lol but I'm slowly introducing healthier things to him that we both like and running with it. For instance, I found these high protein, low carb wraps. Say I make chicken for dinner, all that's different is what we each put on ours.
  • funnytummy16
    funnytummy16 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Guys thank you, pleased to read these - pre or post wedding, our goals are the same. I am grateful to know I am not alone!
  • funnytummy16
    Options
    kimmie2128 wrote: »
    Hello. Thank you for sharing your story. I always appreciate people that can open up like that, especially when it's about something personal.

Although I am not in the exact same boat as you by losing weight, I am working on transforming my body into a more lean and fit figure. I am also getting married next year, so I know what it's like to have that same end goal.

I've been cleaning up my food choices the past few weeks as well as introducing new workouts into my daily routine. It is a lot of work and a lot of research is needed to get the final results you want, but I love everything about health and fitness.

I'd love to help you along on your journey and offer anything new that I learn that will help you reach your goal.

Congrats on your engagement by the way! The best is yet to be

Thank you Kimmie, and congratulations to you too!!! The wedding (and honeymoon) have been huge motivation for me to address where I was letting myself down.

I've been eating so much sugar, and general junk, I didn't even realise quite how much I did. Are you following any fitness guide?

After I reach my goal weight (hopefully by Xmas) I'd love to try Kaylas BBG again. I tried it before but didn't change my diet, so it wasn't very effective.

All the best to you on your journey :)
  • funnytummy16
    Options
    kimmie2128 wrote: »
    vk2q7 - I cook separate meals basically everyday for me and my fiancé. It's kind of a pain and creates way more dishes lol but I'm slowly introducing healthier things to him that we both like and running with it. For instance, I found these high protein, low carb wraps. Say I make chicken for dinner, all that's different is what we each put on ours.

Yes!! My boyfriend has been eating high protein dinners for the past three weeks, loaded with veg, and he clears the plate every time! Makes me happy as he wasn't the healthiest eater before either.
  • funnytummy16
    Options
    vkr2q7 wrote: »
    I'm getting married next year as well and have about 60lbs to lose to reach my goal weight. I totally understand living with a guy who can eat anything and still look good, and I'm coming to the realization that we can't be eating the same meals all the time or I'll never take off the weight! Ready to get started in earnest and would love the support of people in similar situations!

Congratulations!! Let's do this! I've actually started a diary, and every day I put cheesy motivational quotes - but weirdly they get stuck in my head and keep me going!! What is your plan to get to your goal??
  • kimmie2128
    Options
    All I do is carb cycling right now. I don't necessarily believe in dieting. I want to be healthy and just have it be the way I live my life. But I'm finding that carb cycling is actually really cool. You still get to eat a lot of stuff you like but are challenged to find different foods to eat too.