Eat Your Breakfast!!

Options
Interesting article/ video... :)

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/blogs/2011/tv-news/does-skipping-breakfast-help-or-hurt-a-diet/?cmpid=FCST_hero_hot

EDIT: There are NO EXCUSES that your too busy! If there is one of these resaurants near by, stop in! Better to have something low cal in your stomach then nothing at all!

http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/smart-choices/healthy-fast-food-breakfasts-00412000067619/

Replies

• crystalmichelle82
    Options
    I tell people that all the time. Glad someone else is saying it too :wink:
  • sibach
    sibach Posts: 24
    Options
    I eat strawberries and yogart for breakfast...is that an ok bfast?
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    It DOES NOT work for Everyone. Why do people try to put everyone in a One Size Fits All?! The Gov't guidelines for eating fits almost no one and those that tried to make it fit just got FAT! What works for You is Cool.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

WOW!
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person. The whole purpose of the not skipping breakfast movement is that you will be hungry later and impulsively eat something that is not healthy, which is stated in the article. If you skip breakfast and am not at risk for this impulsive snacking I do not see the harm, but for most people this does not work.
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It DOES NOT work for Everyone. Why do people try to put everyone in a One Size Fits All?! The Gov't guidelines for eating fits almost no one and those that tried to make it fit just got FAT! What works for You is Cool.

Its not just what works for one individual. If you dont eat breakfast, you will be more hungry and you will eat more later. Unless you never get hungry... then thats wonderful for you! But for the vast majority of people, breakfast helps, and I am just providing information for those people who are interested. If not, don't post.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

Agreed. It's not "the most important meal of the day." Many don't eat it, get just as good, if not better results.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Agreed. It's not "the most important meal of the day." Many don't eat it, get just as good, if not better results.

I have coffee with coconut oil in the morning and then don't get hungry until about 3pm in the afternoon. That is my big meal of the day. I have a lighter meal in the evening if I am still peckish!
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is exactly what it says...you are breaking a fast. People that have control and are disciplined are ok at not eating a meal 1st thing in the AM when they wake. I don't. I chose to workout before I consume anything to empty out my glycogen stores to speed up fat loss. When I do eat my 1st meal I make sure it consists of mostly protein and fat..little to no veggie carbs.
    But for people who have tight schedules.....I say go ahead and have your 1st meal in the AM just make wise choices. Grains make you hungrier much sooner than if you only consume protein and fats.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    This is such a highly individual thing. Through painful trial and error I found that"breakfast" is NOT the most important meal of the day for me. Took years but I figured or why. For me, because I have a circadian disorder that tells my body I am supposed to be sleeping when everybody else gets up, and I wake on a traditional time frame anyway, me eating "breakfast" is like telling most people to get up at three am to eat breakfast and then to skip dinner. I was always hungry at night causing me to binge eat. Now I don't really eat till noon and often my last meal is late in the evening. I more comfortably eat fewer calories and lose weight easier.

People really need to pay attention to why they eat the way they do.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is exactly what it says...you are breaking a fast. People that have control and are disciplined are ok at not eating a meal 1st thing in the AM when they wake. I don't. I chose to workout before I consume anything to empty out my glycogen stores to speed up fat loss. When I do eat my 1st meal I make sure it consists of mostly protein and fat..little to no veggie carbs.
    But for people who have tight schedules.....I say go ahead and have your 1st meal in the AM just make wise choices. Grains make you hungrier much sooner than if you only consume protein and fats.

Same here but you already know that.
  • Chuckw40
    Chuckw40 Posts: 201
    Options
    I was eating a nice 300 cal breakfast every morning and was pretty happy until I realized I would much rather have those calories in the evening. Now I just have a granola bar which is about 100 cals and save the rest for a nice snack before bed. This also had the added benefit of giving me about 20 mins more sleep each day :bigsmile:
  • erinsueburns
    Options
    This is interesting stuff. Apparently there isn't good research showing that for adults skipping breakfast leads to weight gain. There is some evidence that eating more than three meals a day in adults does lead to weight gain. (So that to my mind puts paid to the notion that you need to eat six freaking mini meals a day). The rules are apparently different for children.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/DietaryGuidelines/2010/DGAC/Report/D-1-EnergyBalance.pdf
  • comcatee
    comcatee Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    All I know is, if I don't eat breakfast, I feel sluggish and I'm VERY hungry by 10 AM. For me it's not a choice, its a necessity.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

No. Your breakfast should be at least 300 calories and have protein in it. Try mixing in a scoop of whey with your yogurt.

I make this thing called "Power yogurt". Delicious!!

1/2 cup plain low fat yogurt
    1 scoop vanilla whey
    1 tbs flax oil
    cinnamon to taste
    fruits of your choice!

Try it out!
  • erinsueburns
    Options
    Could you maybe cite research on what amount of calories and protein levels you are recommending? Not to be too much of a kill joy or anything, but I guess what I am asking is this your personal opinion and what works for you, or have you read a peer reviewed research article on the subject? I am always up for more scholarly journal articles ;)
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    This is such a highly individual thing. Through painful trial and error I found that"breakfast" is NOT the most important meal of the day for me. Took years but I figured or why. For me, because I have a circadian disorder that tells my body I am supposed to be sleeping when everybody else gets up, and I wake on a traditional time frame anyway, me eating "breakfast" is like telling most people to get up at three am to eat breakfast and then to skip dinner. I was always hungry at night causing me to binge eat. Now I don't really eat till noon and often my last meal is late in the evening. I more comfortably eat fewer calories and lose weight easier.

People really need to pay attention to why they eat the way they do.

So much this, I have a similar disorder so "breakfast" for me at the normal early hours doesn't work, if I try eating anything when I first struggle to get up it generally makes me ill to my stomach. Which gave me the problem of not having something when I am hungry for breakfast and I'm already at work.

I generally want breakfast at 1100-1200 and lunch at 1500-1600 and then eat a late dinner around 2000. I exercise at 2200, then have a post exercise protein shake, shower and lay down around 0000. Mind you 0000 is still way earlier then my brain or body wants to sleep.

Food and eating habits are never one size fits all. Different bodies have different schedules.
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    I've learned to love breakfast. Before, I would get a stomach ache if I ate in the mornings.
    Now, with my mug of instant oatmeal in hand, I get ready in the morning. I LOVE IT!
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options

No. Your breakfast should be at least 300 calories and have protein in it. Try mixing in a scoop of whey with your yogurt.

I make this thing called "Power yogurt". Delicious!!

1/2 cup plain low fat yogurt
    1 scoop vanilla whey
    1 tbs flax oil
    cinnamon to taste
    fruits of your choice!

Try it out!

Why should it be a 300 calorie breakfast? Why not 299? Where do people come up with these numbers?

There is no requirement for X calorie breakfast just like there is no requirement for breakfast itself. The article itself explains it perfectly enough:

"Studies of both children and adults have shown those who regularly skipped breakfast ended up gaining weight instead of losing it."

^---Complete correlation vs causation effect. It's a lifestyle choice where a portion of those who skip breakfast probably have a less healthy lifestyle in general. In college I saw a study saying that men who didn't shave everyday had a higher chance of dying earlier compared to those who did. Does not shaving make you die earlier? Of course not, it just reflects a different lifestyle. Many in that lifestyle probably were unhealthier.

There is no magic number of calories you need to eat at breakfast.
    There is no magic food you need to eat at breakfast.
    There is no magic need to even eat breakfast in the first place.
  • erinsueburns
    Options
    rankailie, it is so nice to hear from others who have the same issues.Makes you feel less alone.