My feet go numb when I'm working out. What's up with that?

Options
For the past few years, I've been experiencing something quite odd happening with my feet when I work out. I notice it primarily when I do the Les Mills Body Combat or Beach Body Combat programs (which are my preference. I am also an avid volleyball player but do not experience this same issue when I play). I notice it as early as halfway through my combat warm up: my feet go numb. It happens mainly in the entire front part of my foot, including my toes. I know for a fact that this is not because my shoes are too tight because I've experimented with loosening the laces, and I usually wear wide shoes. Like I said this has been going on for the last few years and I've tried to stay conscious about when it's happening and what type of shoes I am wearing, runners or cross-trainers, with or without insoles, etc. I just cant seem to find the perfect balance to prevent this issue. I'm finally reaching out to the internet to see if anyone has ever experienced this problem, heard of it, knows what it could be, and if anyone has a recommendation for the right kind of shoes to wear. I prefer New Balance, and I do not wear Nike (they're usually too narrow), but I'm open to other suggestions. What I think is that I need more support in the shoe, however I'm not sure where. For instance, my heels only start to hurt once I've been on my feet too long (which is just tiredness). I've never visited any doctor about this phenomenon.. I'm pretty sure I would characterize myself as having low arches and wide feet. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions before I spent the money to go see a podiatrist or orthopedic? Thank you so much!!

Replies

• AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I get this too some times, dont know why. but I have a lot of health issues and one neurologist suggested it could be mild neuropathy. you say you have not visited a doc but that would be the person I would ask. it coudl be a serious symptom.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You're impinging the nerves that runs just under the middle of your foot. Normally it has to do with shoes and your weight. Have you ever tried working out barefoot?
    You should consult a podiatrist though. They will give you the most accurate info on your issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I don't know that this will be too useful, but my feet used to tingle when I did certain workouts. They did not become fully numb. It stopped when I got fitted for different shoes. For me, I think the shoes were too tight over the top of the foot.
  • cellophaneflowrs
    cellophaneflowrs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You're impinging the nerves that runs just under the middle of your foot. Normally it has to do with shoes and your weight. Have you ever tried working out barefoot?
    You should consult a podiatrist though. They will give you the most accurate info on your issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I did try once a while back doing Combat barefoot... I could try again and see how it feels. I just remember having a hard time balancing with certain moves. But now I primarily do Body Combat at the gym, in which I have to wear shoes. I guess it is time to bite the bullet and make a doctor's appointment. Thanks!
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Does it happen when you are barefoot? That's how you rule out if it is your shoes or not.

All wide shoes are not created equally as I've worn many a pair reputed to be wide sized, in both women's and men's, that were decidedly not when they triggered my Morton's neuroma and/or dorsal (top) foot pins and needles (paresthesia) with activity.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Maybe Google different ways to lace your shoes. I was having pain and numbness on the top of my feet until I tried a new way of lacing.
    The only other thing I would suggest is getting professionally fitted for shoes. Go to a specialty running store and they can analyze your gait and recommend a brand to fit your feet.
    Good luck!
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree with what some have said, trying working out barefooted if possible and see how that works. It might be ur shoes. If it continues I would definitely see a doctor.. they also have some sneakers that feels almost like ur barefooted. vivobarefoot.com they are not stylish but they are very comfortable. Good Luck.
  • cellophaneflowrs
    cellophaneflowrs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks all, This has been very helpful!
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I would try to workout without shoes and see if you still have the issue...of course that wont be allowed at the gym but you could do it at home ;)
    Having the right shoes is important. ..some people need exercise shoes a whole size bigger due to feet swelling while exercising. I cant wear Nikes because they are too tight in the toes. I love my crossfit nanos because they give you room to spread your toes
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    my uneducated guess would be that your shoes are too tight. it could be a shoe issue or a lacing issue.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    This happens to me from time to time, as well. Typically I've laced my shoes too tight. :)