Because I am annoyed - What Is The Point?

Options
I've been seeing a lot of threads on this forum where people talk about how it was so easy for them to lose weight and there were no issues and it required very few changes and was no challenge and they eat whatever the hell they want and keep losing weight and everything is so goddamn great they're practically living on the moon.

I don't understand the point of posting these threads on the General Diet and Weight Loss Help forum. Perhaps they'd be appropriate for the Success Stories forum? Otherwise, to me, it just seems like crowing about how awesome you are, which is not helpful.

I admit I have a jaundiced eye toward this sort of thing, but I think it's counterproductive, and I don't have a lot of patience for people who post that sort of thing on this particular forum. Possibly I'm just a grumpy *kitten*, and if so I'll STFU, but I'd like to see more general diet and weight loss help.

Replies

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'm grumpy and I can't see it? :D
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The "lifestyle change" thread (which I suspect is a target here) also didn't mean what OP seems to think, to my reading.

I thought that thread meant people get encouragement in different ways, some people getting it from knowing they've made a huge change and that they won't accidentally fall back into old ways (and that, yes, it was difficult to do), and others feeling discouraged by that and preferring to think about small manageable adjustments. That thread seemed to me to be calling out for people who think in the second way to offer *that* sort of support. Because if you don't want to think that your whole life is going to have to change, but that's all you see on the forum, it'd be pretty easy to decide it wasn't worth it and give up.

• oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I followed this link from another thread here recently. It may explain why you feel annoyed with certain attitudes. I sympathise. As an abstainer type of person, I can get narked by the moderation type of people. Just as I'm sure they find my way of not being able to eat only a bit of something is bewildering to them.

http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

I'd just let it go. They aren't posting to annoy you or crow. They are sharing what works for them. If it doesn't work for you, just move on to another thread.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Take the input that works for you and might help you. Ignore the rest.

There are a whole lot of ways to lose to maintain weight. MFP and the methods people here use can provide input on differing approaches, some of which might help any person having difficulty.

I can't speak for others, but when I'm not good at any given thing, I want input from people that succeed at that thing, and even more from people that succeed without making it overly complicated or difficult.
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I see both sides to this. I do think folks have a habit of saying (and I'm betting these folks fall under the category of not having that much weight to lose compared to say...someone morbidly obese who needs to lose more than a 100 lbs who may have terrible eating habits) that you can still eat your same diet just in moderation, that you don't have to make such big changes. But in the case of someone who is morbidly obese and has a terrible diet, while it is helpful to make small changes, there are A LOT of small changes to make, and the overall process might not feel so easy (especially in the beginning). For me, I had to completely overhaul my diet. I'm trying to learn moderation in small steps, but I have the constant fear that I'll backslide into my old habits (basically, I think I have trigger foods that I can't eat in moderation). Plus, for me, I just don't think fast food and cookies are all that healthy, and I'm trying to live a healthier lifestyle (not implying folks who eat those things can't be healthy, they might not have the same food and health issues I have).

Anyway, when I follow the CICO and macros, the weight falls of me, I lose easily. But I find the mental part very challenging. Hope it gets better for you OP.

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how getting that annoyed is going to help you.