rest days?

Options
Hey guys.. just curious to hear your thoughts on taking days off from exercise. How many, if any do you take off a week? Do you feel it's important to do that? I absolutely love fitness.. to the point where i train sometimes twice a day. I do it because i
1)enjoy it
2)have the energy
3)i make the time and
4)am injury free

i know that they say its important to have a day off and let your body "recover" but i find it sometimes difficult to do that unless i am really busy doing other things or when i feel extremely sore and when my body feels that it needs to recover.

ive gone 9 days in a row now without having a day off. i run 10-12km and do 1hr of weight training every 2nd day and the days in between those i am either doing a spin class or a 1hr intense cardio class at the gym and core work (i switch it up alot but thats basically what my training involves lately)

Replies

• BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Every Friday is off day. With the beating my body takes from the weights, it's needed.
  • dHowe4406
    dHowe4406 Posts: 114
    Options
    I think a rest day is a must, at least for me it is. I take at least one day a week and depending on how hard I work that week I might take two.

I take Tuesday off, and some weeks Sunday too.
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I take a rest day every Saturday or Sunday depending on plans for the weekend.
  • SashaJaneJ
    SashaJaneJ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday is my day off.
  • Hermione35
    Hermione35 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have just started working out, and so we go every day that we can to keep ourselves in the habit. We have missed a few days due to being out of town or being at a family function or our gym being closed. Maybe once we get more into it, we will do a rest day, but for now we go every day.
  • AlyssaAmes3
    AlyssaAmes3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love working out as well and if my schedule permitted me to I would probably never take a day off. However, Im a busy mom and usually take a break on Tuesdays (library day for my son) and saturdays (i like to spend the day with my husband and son). I usually though get some form of informal exercise on those days. I say do what your body tells you to do. If you can keep going then keep on going. Sounds like your doing great! Keep up the great work!
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Sunday is my off day. I believe it is important both mentally and physically.... Although I do tend to be active on my rest day.... I do not set out to exercise that day.
  • OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I take rest days on Friday. I do think it's important to let your muscles heal and recover.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not doing a ton of weight training, and you're switching up your routine a lot, I think your body can handle 7 days a week. If you were say running 7 days a week that would take a toll on your body pretty quickly. I personally run 5 days a week, and on my two off days from running, I do a different workout. It just depends on what I feel like that day. The most important thing is to listen to your body. If you feel sore or a little off, just give it a break for a day. :-) Make sure you're getting enough sleep and water, and you should be fine!
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Wednesdays and Sundays are my rest days. I generally workout for 1 1/2 -2 hours and incorporate weights every day so those rest days are very necessary for me!
  • erylie
    erylie Posts: 34
    Options
    Every Sunday is a rest day for me... I think it's important, but it also depends on you hard you're working. I do the 30 day shred or other video for 20 minutes a day and a 30 minute run every day. That's 50 minutes a day, usually 6 days a week. For me, I feel that one day off is enough with my workouts...
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    According to my trainer it is a must. He prefers I take 2 days off a week but I typically only take one day off.
  • sitn2low
    sitn2low Posts: 2
    Options
    We don't have a set "rest day", but if plans dont allow exercise then so be it.

That being said we have been out all but four days this month, so basically one day off per week:noway:
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set res day just take them as my body needs them.
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    Sunday is my off day. I believe it is important both mentally and physically.... Although I do tend to be active on my rest day.... I do not set out to exercise that day.

Just wanted to send you a "FABULOUS!!!" You're pictures are amazing!!!
  • KLMcConnell
    Options
    Mon/Wed/Fri my husband and I do Bob Harpers Kettlebells
    Tues/Thurs/Sat we do 30 day shred
    Sundays we do something low impact like walking as our rest day.
  • sezgirl
    sezgirl Posts: 23
    Options
    As long as you're not doing a ton of weight training, and you're switching up your routine a lot, I think your body can handle 7 days a week. If you were say running 7 days a week that would take a toll on your body pretty quickly. I personally run 5 days a week, and on my two off days from running, I do a different workout. It just depends on what I feel like that day. The most important thing is to listen to your body. If you feel sore or a little off, just give it a break for a day. :-) Make sure you're getting enough sleep and water, and you should be fine!

good to know theres somethin who feels the same i do about this =) i agree with you
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Some people believe in set rest patterns and I believe in listening to your body. You can set your training days so you have 2 days between training body parts, cardio, etc. You can take Active Rest days where you do some kind of light activity, like walking, non-exaustive plyometrics, dynamic lifing, etc.

I lift pretty hard 6 days a week and I take Sunday off from the gym but I usually go for a light jog or long walk.

If you start to feel utterly worn out, lethargic, depressed, etc, then take a day or two completely off.