Pre-Bariatric Surgery

Options
Hi I am new here. I am having bariatric surgery, and in the process of losing 20 lb, and doing a lot of testing. I am on a 1600 calorie diet. Is there anyone else on here having or have had the surgery?

Replies

• Sleevin_it_up
    Sleevin_it_up Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi nice to meet you and welcome to MFP! I had the gastric sleeve done on 4/4. I have lost 85 pounds in total so far. My pre-op diet was around 800 calories. Now I am eating around 1200 calories. I would love to be pals and help you any way I can!
  • susuh62
    susuh62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    WOW!! that is great. I am having the gastric bypass. I would appreciate any help I can get.. I am trying not to eat too many carbs, but I cannot believe how many carbs just brussel sprouts have..
  • VSGAng
    VSGAng Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I know all about the tests! I just got through doing all the clearances. I had to see a cardiologist and get an ekg, have a lung function test, and of course a bunch of lab work, and follow up with a counselor. All of them have cleared me for surgery. Now waiting for the surgeons to get all of the documentation. I am a self pay and don't have to do the 6 months medically supervised diet thing. I am in the process of getting ready for the gastric sleeve. I am on the pre op diet already even tho I don't have a surgery date yet. My primary dr wanted me to go on and start the pre op dietas the labs showed I am diabetic now and my liver enzymes are up. So far so good with following it. Ingredients to avoid: sugar, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup. Foods to avoid: bread, potatoes, corn, pasta, rice, quinoa, cookies, candy, chops, crackers, oatmeal, fruit, calorie drinks, alcohol, breaded or fried foods.

Hopefully soon they will receive all the necessary documents and call soon to set my surgery date! The only thing I am not totally sure about is whether or not they will want me to do another EGD. That depends if the one I had done was not recent or informative enough. So, hopefully I will know soon if i need another EGD and have an actual date for my surgery soon. Even tho I didn't do this through insurance they still sent me for clearances and things which I am glad of... This isn't something I want them to just rush and do.... So I am glad they are checking me out thoroughly first.

I am just looking for a group of people going through the same thing as I am to share with. I hope everyone is doing well in their process. I am excited and a bit nervous but mostly just happy to be getting my life back! I can't wait to feel better and take a shower and not be worn out or in pain from doing too much in a day.

Wow! Sleevin-It-Up! 85lbs since April! That is amazing!!!! And it gives me such hope! I keep thinking I wonder how much weight I will lose by Christmas! I cannot wait!!

Susuh62, I hear ya on the carbs. I am doing pretty well with my diet. The amount of carbs in veggies is just crazy! How are you doing with your eating? I had a bit of cheat last night. I've been doing no sugar since July 26th and so far am down 8.4 lbs! So that just really proves the no sugar thing and low carb thing really works. I have read some atkins books.... very eye opening stuff about sugar carbs and high fructose corn syrup. Highly recommend reading those. Just to give you some info on why no sugar is the way to go. It kinda helped me to be able to Just say no.

So nice to see others that can relate to my experience. I hope we can talk more. Add me please. i am so new at community stuff.... I don't know how to do hardly anything lol. In the words of Joe Dirt... I'm new... I don't know what to do. Not new to mfp but to the whole message board thing. Glad I found some others to chat with. =)
  • susuh62
    Options
    Glad you wrote me back.. I do not have to do the 6 mo dieting thank God.. I did it 2 times before but the doctors did not keep the right notes so I got turned down. I been doing low carb on and off for probably 16 years. I really feel it has kept me off insulin. It also with vinegar helped my triglicerides to stay normal.from 380. now perfect.

This evening I went to my diet class. I really needed this class and will go back every month..I started a multi vitamin, and I take a lot of supplements too. So I found out I need to take calcium with my vitamin D2. there is a lot to learn about the vitamins, and she was very helpful..Turns out It is very rare to be Vit. E defficient. Well I am and have been for a few years. She said it has something to do with malabsorbtion. spelling not great..lol..

I am doing the Bypass surgery, I need to lose alot of weight and diabetes will be elemonated. And blood pressure too. I think it is the best choice for me.

I am doing good on the diet too. I am off of sugar,and not even craving it.. I have cheated a little too. but have lost 19 lbs, in a little over a month.. I have 1 more pound to go and my 5 percent wt loss will be done just have to keep it off. I loved Dr Adkins way of life support online group, and was on it for years, but it changed and i lost it over time.. I really do not know how to get around of this one, but I am trying. with you..

I have to go in the morning for the sleep apnea appointment. Not looking forward to it. I did the overnight thing a few years ago, and did not need the C-pap, but I bet they will want me to do it again, lots of appointment this month.. Well better get in the bed. lets keep in touch. I am on fb too if you want to look me up on there.. Susie Hayes is my fb name.. Talk to ya later. :smiley:
  • susuh62
    Options
    Well I am now diagnosed with sleep apnea. Will get my C-Pap Machine this evening. Tried the mask but felt smothery so I went with nasal one. Don't know how my little grandkids are going to like sleeping with me with it, but will find out tonight.. Hope it does not scare them..

So far I have gotten a cardiology clearance, had an EKG, blood work, Went to a support group, and diet class, really enjoyed both, and very good info from them. Saw the dietician, patient advocate, Nurse practitioner, and the surgeon. sleep apnea dr, home study, and last night, the sleep clinic. Next week, GYN visit, and Psyc clearance.

On a good note I have lose about 16 lbs. and I love myfitnesspal..

Will update in a few days. Hope ya'll are doing good.. Saying a prayer for us to have a good weekend..

TTYL..
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @susuh62 hubby is a light sleeper and says the CPAP is an improvement over snoring. It's white noise. I put it on and call it my Darth Vader mask.

Welcome all to the club! I had an RNY two years ago. Here in Canada the wait list for surgery is months long so we are sent to all sorts of diet, lifestyle, and counselling classes.

The weight loss is transformative so get ready, it will be a rollicking ride.

My best advice? Pay attention to the advice of your medical team and if you have persistent pain or miserable symptoms don't delay in getting them checked out.

I have few intolerances, and can eat just about anything (within limits). My meals are much smaller. I now prefer Kefir or Yogurt over milk, and soft breads are uncomfortable. I make sure I get in enough protein daily. YMMV.