Because I am annoyed - What Is The Point?

Options

Replies

• jld1975
    jld1975 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think we read the same posts yesterday, OP! I was getting that sense, too- too many people saying things like "I lost 100 pounds and I barely did anything different- I don't know what everyone's problem is!" I read a lot and never post, but just wanted to respond because I got that feeling yesterday, too!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Whether it's weight-loss, relationships or work--we all get a bout of the green-eyed monster at times. It's human, it's what we do. Wanting the success someone else has doesn't make you a bad person, it doesn't make you a failure, it just means you're struggling.

I bet if the "easy weight-loss" people saw your life, they'd find things about you to envy. As with social media, all we see are snapshots that other people choose to let us see. And we all want to look like we have it together, when we are all struggling with things.

Like @arditarose said, I still struggle with how I look, how much I weigh, what size I wear. I "know" I shouldn't, but I do. I'm not always as kind and gentle to myself as I should be--I would NEVER talk to a friend the way I talk to myself. Which is the biggest indicator I should stop it. But it's hard. Living in Southern California (which I love) doesn't make it any easier. But I'm working on it. :blush:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, but yeah.... Complaining about it doesn't help at all.

I've lost around 90lbs, and yes, I do CICO. Was it easy? Heck no. However, losing weight this time around is easier as I ditched all the silly dieting rules that get passed around. I still have around 50 to go and it is getting harder, for sure.

Do I struggle? Absolutely. Every day.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's your outlook that needs to change?
    Jealousy is counterproductive anyway.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I suspect I'm guilty of saying it's easy, in a couple of very specific contexts, in General Diet & Weight Loss.

One is the people who post "I'm hypothyroid/menopausal/'older' and I've heard it's terribly difficult for us, or even impossible". Because I am hypothyroid/menopausal/60, I tend to say things like "I found it reasonably easy (no harder than anyone else AFAIK."

The other is people who have been here only briefly, have gotten all flustered/confused, and are ready to give up, saying things like "It's just too complicated: I don't know how to pick an activity level, do I have to exercise, how do I figure out my macros (and what they heck are they), I don't think I can give up sweets (or fries, or pizza, or . . . ) forever . . . .".

In these cases, I'm sure I've said "You don't have to do it all at once. It can be easy if you do it gradually: Just log what you eat now. Review your diary. Reduce things that have too many calories for their tastiness/nutrition/satiation. Worry about the rest later."

OP, you make a good point, if what we're trying to do is communicate with diverse people in a supportive way. "Easy" has several meanings and various implications. When speaking informally, it can be the opposite of both "difficult" and "complicated" (among others). I'll try to keep this idea in my head, for the future.

Good point by someone up above, about "simple" vs. "easy" - a useful distinction I first heard years back from my kung fu teacher.

That said, I also agree with those who encourage readers to glean the useful points from posts, strive not to be reflexively symbol-reactive about word choices, and simply ignore people who're being snarky for their own amusement or self-aggrandizement.

• Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Well I've been guilty probably of what you're talking about to an extent. Someone posted a question about eating sweets a while back. I posted about how I still eat sweets and still lose just fine. Of course my sweet thing is those mini magnum ice cream bars or 1 square of chocolate. My point with that was to say that you can still have sweets and have success, not to brag about this like it's easy. Would I rather have a whole pint of ice cream at times?? Absolutely!!! It is definitely not easy, but the math is simple. To lose what I want, I have to fit everything in my calorie goal.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    LokiGrrl wrote: »
    I've been seeing a lot of threads on this forum where people talk about how it was so easy for them to lose weight and there were no issues and it required very few changes and was no challenge and they eat whatever the hell they want and keep losing weight and everything is so goddamn great they're practically living on the moon.

I don't understand the point of posting these threads on the General Diet and Weight Loss Help forum. Perhaps they'd be appropriate for the Success Stories forum? Otherwise, to me, it just seems like crowing about how awesome you are, which is not helpful.

I admit I have a jaundiced eye toward this sort of thing, but I think it's counterproductive, and I don't have a lot of patience for people who post that sort of thing on this particular forum. Possibly I'm just a grumpy *kitten*, and if so I'll STFU, but I'd like to see more general diet and weight loss help.

I had been trying to lose weight for 15 years- losing, maintaining, gaining, repeat. Weight loss can be hard and frustrating. There are so many diets and confusing claims out there. The easiest and most sustainable loss I have had in all that time was as simple as just watching my calorie intake using MFP. I was relieved to come on these forums and see others say eat what you want just stick to your calorie deficit. It takes a little bit of work to log food. It is harder closer to a healthier weight. It does not however require an ultra restrictive diet with the bare minimum of calories for most people to lose weight. It does not have to be that hard or complicated.

• LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yep, like I said, I was grumpy, so have applied the STFU.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    LokiGrrl wrote: »
    I've been seeing a lot of threads on this forum where people talk about how it was so easy for them to lose weight and there were no issues and it required very few changes and was no challenge and they eat whatever the hell they want and keep losing weight and everything is so goddamn great they're practically living on the moon.

I don't understand the point of posting these threads on the General Diet and Weight Loss Help forum. Perhaps they'd be appropriate for the Success Stories forum? Otherwise, to me, it just seems like crowing about how awesome you are, which is not helpful.

I admit I have a jaundiced eye toward this sort of thing, but I think it's counterproductive, and I don't have a lot of patience for people who post that sort of thing on this particular forum. Possibly I'm just a grumpy *kitten*, and if so I'll STFU, but I'd like to see more general diet and weight loss help.

I don't think you're being grumpy, I think everyone on the forums has felt this way about something over the course of losing weight. I've seen plenty of successful people speak on their walls about being fed up with weighing food all the time, or annoyed that it takes forever to lose the last 10 lbs, or just wanting to be able to eat all the food they want (and not talking about fruits/veggies/lean protein) without only having a small portion or having to space it out over time. And yes, the calorie deficit can get to you after awhile, since for many people it ends up being 2000 calories or less, even with exercise.

On one hand, those posts are helpful because they emphasize that weight loss is fairly simple as a concept, and that yes, you can do it. On the other, sometimes it is nice to see the processed humanized and people open up about the parts that are difficult or frustrating for them.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I don't know, I think this message is a good one for people to hear. I don't think it's bragging, I think it's a good way to counter the very prevalent perception that weight loss or dieting needs to include a lot of suffering and sacrifice. Suffering through a diet you can't stand is probably one of the largest causes of yo-yo dieting out there - coming to the realization that it doesn't need to be that hard is an important step in breaking out of that cycle of loss and gain.

I wasn't a yo-yo dieter... I only ever tried dieting once, a few years ago. Most of the time I didn't even feel like trying because of that exact perception you mention - that it involves suffering and sacrifice. I wasn't prepared to give up the foods I enjoy for ever.

MFP was recommended by a friend who'd lost a lot of weight, and coming here to find out that I could eat chocolate (just not too much of it!) and still lose weight was such a relief! Suddenly I felt like there really was hope for me after all, and seeing posts from people who say they "eat what they like" (and I do realise that doesn't mean "as much as I like") helped me to feel that I had a good chance of success.

That said, I do sometimes find it easier to relate to the posts from people who've taken some time over losing their weight and struggled a bit. The stories of those who've lost a lot of weight in just a few months and found it "easy", while I'm happy for their success, just don't really resonate with me. Some of them have done so by methods that they might have found easy to stick to but would not have worked for me, so I don't necessarily find them helpful. But of course, for other people those posts might be just what they need to see! We're all different in what works for us. :)

It's like others have referred to upthread, about the difference between "easy" and "simple" - the concept is simple, but the execution of it might not be easy. Reading about different people's methods, and what they personally found easy or not, can be helpful in formulating our own plan of attack. :)
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @Bearbo27 look up Halo Top ice cream. It is 240-280 per pint and doesn't taste like sadness. Tell your local grocery store to stock it, you won't be disappointed.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jrulo16 wrote: »
    @Bearbo27 look up Halo Top ice cream. It is 240-280 per pint and doesn't taste like sadness. Tell your local grocery store to stock it, you won't be disappointed.

OMG I :heart: this stuff! Birthday Cake flavor is amazing!!!!!