Dumbell exercises

Options
hhnkhl
hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
I need a workout plan with dumbells.
I have dumbells only at the house and a treadmill. I know I need to do both cardio and muscle training...but I don't have the time to hit the gym. How can I make use of these dumbells? Can someone make a weekly dumbell schedule for me? Really appreciate it.

Replies

• julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You can use various weight lifting apps or there are workouts on YouTube. Are you wanting low-rep, heavy weight or medium weight, hi-rep? First option trying Strong 5x5 app, if second look up BodyPump on YouTube.

You want to make sure you hit all main muscle groups, which you won't do in one work out when you're lifting heavy but could do over a week (leg days, upper body days, etc), or with something a bit more like Body Pump you hit all the groups in one go (legs-squats, lunges; Chest-presses in varying routines, Back - deadlifts, rows, upright rows, clean and presses, press ups; Biceps-full range and isometric lift, Triceps-various lifts or tricep dips, Shoulders-fly's, rays, power presses, press ups, etc).

The most important thing with any kind of lifting is to make sure your form and technique are good otherwise you could injure yourself. Use YouTube to show you the correct forms, there are loads of videos on there.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    * Fierce 5 (note that there are several variations from beginner to advanced, 3-5 day, plus a dumbbell program) - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162916931&p=1266578971&viewfull=1#post1266578971
    * Frankoman’s Dumbbell Only Split - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/frankoman-dumbbell-only-split.html
    * Full body dumbbell routine (note: women and men can use the same rep range, if you want to go low do it, if you want to go high do it. I promise that neither will make you gain or lose a Y chromosome.) - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    * Fierce 5 (note that there are several variations from beginner to advanced, 3-5 day, plus a dumbbell program) - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162916931&p=1266578971&viewfull=1#post1266578971
    * Frankoman’s Dumbbell Only Split - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/frankoman-dumbbell-only-split.html
    * Full body dumbbell routine (note: women and men can use the same rep range, if you want to go low do it, if you want to go high do it. I promise that neither will make you gain or lose a Y chromosome.) - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

I'm using the last program you listed. It seems to be working out pretty well, although unless you go to a gym, you will likely outgrow whatever dumbbells you have pretty quickly. I think probably some sort of body weight routine would work better for the OP, unless Im wrong and he/she has a bunch of heavy dumbbells at home.
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    youtube is good for that..of you want to buy cd's Cathe's workout are also good..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    There are so many free sources online you can apply to what you're looking to do. Why are you asking people to do it for you?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    @ ninerbuff..sometime ppl when not sure will ask for help which is y we are all here.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Get the selectable Dumbbells for cost and space reasons. powerblock, Bowflex , weider and several others make them. I purchased the 50 lb weider (100 lb total) wished I'd gotten the Bowflex 90s but much more $$$. This way you won't outgrow and if you do it's time to join a gym to move to the next level.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    tiggerlove wrote: »
    @ ninerbuff..sometime ppl when not sure will ask for help which is y we are all here.
    Asking someone to "make a dumbell schedule for me" isn't the same as asking "what are some of the exercises you suggest I do"?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jemhh
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Asking someone to "make a dumbell schedule for me" isn't the same as asking "what are some of the exercises you suggest I do"?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

:smiley:

When I see a request like that I often think the same--put in some effort to find info yourself--but then I consider that some people are completely overwhelmed and have no idea how to start or even how to phrase their questions. So I post some generic info and figure it's a start and that the OP can do with it what s/he wants.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    In a world where everyone wants free stuff this may not get a lot of love, it is a bit pricey. But if you are looking for strength training with dumbbels, this is worth a look. Dinosaur Dumbbell Training
  • jemhh
    Options
    dlm7507 wrote: »
    In a world where everyone wants free stuff this may not get a lot of love, it is a bit pricey. But if you are looking for strength training with dumbbels, this is worth a look. Dinosaur Dumbbell Training

I kind of want to read that now. I started out with plate loaded dumbbells and think they are a great option. That's the first dumbbell-specific training book I've seen.
  • hhnkhl
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies. It was extremely helpful going through all of them. I don't know much about how the muscles work and how I have to spread it out. It was great to get aid from you guys. Thanks again.
    I apologize if I offended anyone with the way I worded my question. I'm just lost when it comes to exercise...even if I find some info online it's hard trying to register them myself...so I needed some help from you guys.
  • hhnkhl
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

:smiley:

When I see a request like that I often think the same--put in some effort to find info yourself--but then I consider that some people are completely overwhelmed and have no idea how to start or even how to phrase their questions. So I post some generic info and figure it's a start and that the OP can do with it what s/he wants.

my bad, I meant to something like what do I need to do for some good exercises was my question...i apologize.
  • the_summer_belle
    the_summer_belle Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting with the Bodybeast program frim beachbody, it's good but aimed at men, so they brought out Hammer and Chisel to combine weights with Hiit. I can't get it in Australia, so im about to start Cathe Frederick Lift It Hiit It program which combines heavy weight lifting with Hiit and you can download a free pdf which gives you advice and printable routines, depending on your goals.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Log onto FitnessBlender.com and do one of their routines. Their weight routines all use dumbbells, powerblock adjustables, and are easy to follow. Most supply a warm-up and cool down with stretches. I'm sure there are other fitness sites that use dumbbells. I like the FitnessBlender ones.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of my lifting routines from www.bodybuilding.com

The various sets always include some work with dumbbells.