Avoiding sugar

Options
Hello all,

I'm organizing my diet plan and am coming up with the same dilemma I always face: not getting enough calories while maxing out my sugar.

Protein bars, green smoothies, and my morning Cheerios usually max me out for sugar but I still find myself at under 1,000 calories. I aim for gluten free, so I eat chicken and rice, almond milk, cottage cheese, and the aforementioned and it seems like such a full day that I can't imagine packing anything else in.

Any recommendations for swaps to decrease sugar and add calories?

Thanks.

Replies

• KhadijahSmith
    KhadijahSmith Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Swap Cheerios for plain yogurt. You could add no-cal sweetener or flavorings (I use vanilla extract) to improve the taste.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Increase fats and proteins, definitely. Nuts, eggs, avocados, peanut butter. Personally, I still include sugar in my WOE, just less.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Do you suffer celiac disease?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, fats often replace dropped carbs or sugars. Since carbs are a non-essential nutrient (though they do taste really good) you should be fine as long as you are alos eating other quality proteins and fats.

Consider adding cheese, nuts, olives, avocado, eggs, and meats instead of carbs.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Do you suffer celiac disease?

If they are eating Cheerios, no they do not have celiacs.
  • maggiesfitnessjourney
    Options
    Well Cheerios are gluten free. Or at least advertised to be.
  • maggiesfitnessjourney
    Options
    I used to eat eggs for breakfast when I was more organized and had time before work
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb. When I don't have time for eggs, or just don't feel like them, sometimes I make a "cereal" of berries, walnuts or pecans, cinnamon, and either heavy cream or half and half. Fast, easy, tastes a lot like a good cereal, without so much sugar, and the cream or half and half gives a good amount of fat.
  • maggiesfitnessjourney
    Options
    Thanks for the help, everyone!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

They are not GF to a very high standard. In Canada, they are not considered to be GF enough to be labelled GF.

Gluten Dude (a celiac blogger and activist) was given the GF Cheerios tour and spiel and this is what he had to say about Cheerios: http://glutendude.com/gluten/are-gluten-free-cheerios-safe-for-celiacs/

It's buyer beware for Cheerios.... Can they really remove all 199 grains? Doubtful. Sadly.
    which-cheerios-gluten-free.jpg
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

They may be advertised as such, but anyone with an issue with gluten (celiacs or allergy) will tell you they are not safe.
    nvmomketo wrote: »

They are not GF to a very high standard. In Canada, they are not considered to be GF enough to be labelled GF.

Gluten Dude (a celiac blogger and activist) was given the GF Cheerios tour and spiel and this is what he had to say about Cheerios: http://glutendude.com/gluten/are-gluten-free-cheerios-safe-for-celiacs/

It's buyer beware for Cheerios.... Can they really remove all 199 grains? Doubtful. Sadly.
    which-cheerios-gluten-free.jpg

This.
  • maggiesfitnessjourney
    Options
    Oh dang...well thanks for the heads up! I don't have celiacs, but my mom does so I thought I'd try to avoid it
  • smelliefeet
    smelliefeet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Personally, I reach (and sometimes surpass) my carbohydrate AND sugar max and I purposefully avoid foods with added sugar and any foods containing wheat.

And, even with those restrictions, I go over my calories too. It's really easy for me to eat a lot I guess. I'm a chronic overeater even if it's just like... a heap of vegetables. :/
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The way I cut out a lot of sugar was to stop eating packaged foods. When I started LCHF that wasn't my goal but everything in the world seems to have sugar in it. I had to learn how to make my own "packages" that fit my macros. This takes effort, both mental, to learn what and how, and physical, to prepare the food and package it, and both to sort of carve out a routine where it doesn't take up all your time. As was said on another thread today, simple, but not easy. :wink: The more you're used to it, the faster you can do it. And it is sooooo worth it IMO, not just for health reasons but because if you weigh all your almonds, say, into single-serving portions in bags, you don't have to fool with that when you're hungry. :)

Also try shredded coconut (unsweetened of course!) in your nut and cream cereal. NOM.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    add nuts cashews, almonds or even peanuts. They will increase your calories, and your protien but not your sugars.