Toning tips

Options
Hello all. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction for keeping toned while losing weight to minimize extra skin. I am 5'. SW 215, CW 172, GW 125. I would love to have a healthy toned look when I meet my goal and ixnay any loose skin. Any tips are appreciated!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Genetics, age, and how much weight you have to lose will determine if you have skin that retracts enough. From my experience with many people over the years, if you have more than 80lbs+ to lose, then loose skin is almost unavoidable.
    Do resistance training to keep what muscle you have, but lifting doesn't reduce organ mass. And skin is an organ.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Daddyspepper
    Daddyspepper Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I had a feeling. Thanks for the tip.
  • justinrye
    justinrye Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 lbs and don't have loose skin. Been working out 5 days a week on a training program. I would suggest getting yourself into a routine that works for you that has cardio and weight training.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    justinrye wrote: »
    I've lost 80 lbs and don't have loose skin. Been working out 5 days a week on a training program. I would suggest getting yourself into a routine that works for you that has cardio and weight training.
    Do you still have more to lose? If you aren't at your goal weight yet, then you MAY end up having loose skin. If you are at your goal weight, then you're one of the fortunate ones.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• justinrye
    justinrye Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've past my goal weight now set a new one to lose another ten.
  • Daddyspepper
    Options
    Thanks for the hope!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Genetics, age, and how much weight you have to lose will determine if you have skin that retracts enough. From my experience with many people over the years, if you have more than 80lbs+ to lose, then loose skin is almost unavoidable.
    Do resistance training to keep what muscle you have, but lifting doesn't reduce organ mass. And skin is an organ.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

To add onto this. Starting a good structured routine (like the ones found here) can help with muscle retention, especially when you have a higher protein diet (100-120g for you probably). Also, non aggressive weight loss can help that.
  • Daddyspepper
    Options
    Thank you!