Sugar substitute/help

Options
I have far to much sugar, natural or not. I need help eliminating it. Look at todays dairy for example omfg, its probably higher than that, needs help.

Replies

• ktshealth
    ktshealth Posts: 21
    Options
    I use splenda. Never use sugar and haven't for years now. Splenda for my coffee, ice tea, even baking.
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I use truvia which is stevia which is a natural sweetener. I read about it in an eathing clean book. Supposed to be better for you :)
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I use truvia which is stevia which is a natural sweetener. I read about it in an eathing clean book. Supposed to be better for you :)
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to substitute splenda, truvia or any other just be careful how much you use. According to Dr Oz (& some other Drs on his show) you are twice as likely to get diabetes by using artificial sweeteners.
  • melindalamb
    Options
    If you are craving sweet, you need to eat more protein.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    You can cut out 50 g of sugar simply by not adding honey to the last meal, and keeping your coffee black. Just continue to try and eat low sugar, it is hard but very possible. Try swapping out fruits for veggies when you can. Totally different taste but something you can get used to.
  • jenmac82005
    Options
    I just got Truvia (http://truvia.com/) and I love it! It is an all natural sweetener, unlike sweet n low and others which are not good for you, and basically the same as drinking diet sodas. My main purpose for it was to add to Iced tea to keep it calorie free. And it's great! It dissolves in cold tea,unlike plain sugar which dissolves only in hot tea. And I can enjoy a nice cold glass of Iced Tea! Calorie free!
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am all about artificial sweeteners!! There are people on here who say stay away, but I have been using artificial sweeteners for years and it makes life so much better! Splenda in my coffee, diet soda, crystal lite in my water....sugarfree syrup, light yogurt, sugarfree jelly......try it out! Just see how it will work for you for a week or so. I have kept 100 lbs off for 3 yrs and I couldn't live w/o them!!

They are safe!! It is all good!! :)
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hey- I looked at your diary and it looks pretty good..and healthy. I see the sugar and the best thing I can recommend is to maybe decrease the 2 tbsp of honey per day to 1 tbsp. That will save you some sugar. You could also try agave. It is a low glycemic sweetever (which means it doens't raise your sugar level as high), it is natural and is a bit sweeter than honey. you might do best with 1 tbsp of this.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    i will not use splenda as it has sucralose in it and
    for other reasons. (see links below).

Truvia is what I would use if/when I change over to sugar substitute.

source: (at the 2 min. mark) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD2TUyL2w5c
    http://www.wnho.net/splenda_chlorocarbon.htm
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary....I would avoid the craisins, They are almost like candy. they have like 25 grams of added sugar. If you need something like that, try raisins (plain) or dried unsweetened cranberries.

Also, your protein powder seems to have a lot of sugar. can you find one that has less sugar in it? and whats the honey for? I agree, try the stevia. Its no calorie and its suposedly all natural. You can use it in coffee also.
  • ejmcam
    Options
    I am all about artificial sweeteners!! There are people on here who say stay away, but I have been using artificial sweeteners for years and it makes life so much better! Splenda in my coffee, diet soda, crystal lite in my water....sugarfree syrup, light yogurt, sugarfree jelly......try it out! Just see how it will work for you for a week or so. I have kept 100 lbs off for 3 yrs and I couldn't live w/o them!!

They are safe!! It is all good!! :)

I also use splenda once in a while in my coffee, but thats it. i would hesitate to call them safe. They are chemicals. Natural is best.
  • ejmcam
    Options
    sorry, just looked at your diary again and saw that your powder only has 1 gra of sugar. my eyes were playing tricks i guess
  • jenmac82005
    Options
    i will not use splenda as it has sucralose in it and
    for other reasons. (see links below).

Truvia is what I would use if/when I change over to sugar substitute.

source: (at the 2 min. mark) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD2TUyL2w5c
    http://www.wnho.net/splenda_chlorocarbon.htm

Thanks for proving the link to this video, I'm not hooked on watching that guys videos!! He has a really good point!!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I use stevia and sometimes splenda.
  • shonniegrl
    shonniegrl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia in the raw and I love it. It is a natural sweetner (not artificial). Truvia is also a natural sweetner, but it has more carbs then Stevia.
  • geckoseven
    geckoseven Posts: 32
    Options
    Think I will try stevia, like its background :D Cranberries where for my salad :'(

Honey I do sometimes, its a great way to increase your water intake. :D
  • Sa2ah
    Sa2ah Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ive been using Ideal (http://www.idealsweet.com/) it tastes the same a sugar. i tried the stevia and it has a bad aftertaste. dunno if that helps.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I was using Sun Crystals but they are being discontinued :( am looking into using stevia in liquid form
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to substitute splenda, truvia or any other just be careful how much you use. According to Dr Oz (& some other Drs on his show) you are twice as likely to get diabetes by using artificial sweeteners.

Misscfe, Dr. Oz said this. Does the man realize that diabetics are encouraged to use splenda or truvia, instead of real sugar?

Telling someone that you can get diabetes from splenda, truvia or any other artificial sweeteners is like telling someone you can get diabetes from eating sugar. A person doesn't have to touch real sugar or sugar substitutes to get diabetes.

Sugar as in the white stuff doesn't cause diabetes. Just as sweets doesn't cause cavities.