I eat tons and still have trouble getting enough calories in

Options
I have been eating every 2.5 to 3 hours 6 times a day. My largest meal is at the very latest 4 PM. I have a hearty breakfast ( usually 1 egg, 2 egg whites, fresh salsa and a wheat tortilla) I eat and eat .. I have cut out. alcohol, most sugar, bleached flour products, diet sodas. I eat tons of veggies and fruits. But I almost always come up short of 1200 in calories. 1300 is my daily goal. Does anyone else have a rough time making 1300 (or your target calories) ? I seem to be dropping pounds nicely. What do you use for healthy snacks and fillers.

AND what do you think is a good target for "Healthy"carbs? I think my target 90gm , but I almost always go over.

Just a note, I workout 6 days a week 40-70 mins a day. (3 days a wk I do strengh in AM and Cardio in the PM.. the other 3 Cardio in the PM)

Replies

• Squrtea
    Squrtea Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been eating every 2.5 to 3 hours 6 times a day. My largest meal is at the very latest 4 PM. I have a hearty breakfast ( usually 1 egg, 2 egg whites, fresh salsa and a wheat tortilla) I eat and eat .. I have cut out. alcohol, most sugar, bleached flour products, diet sodas. I eat tons of veggies and fruits. But I almost always come up short of 1200 in calories. 1300 is my daily goal. Does anyone else have a rough time making 1300 (or your target calories) ? I seem to be dropping pounds nicely. What do you use for healthy snacks and fillers.

AND what do you think is a good target for "Healthy"carbs? I think my target 90gm , but I almost always go over.

Just a note, I workout 6 days a week 40-70 mins a day. (3 days a wk I do strengh in AM and Cardio in the PM.. the other 3 Cardio in the PM)
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    So what are u eating for lunch and dinner, and snacks????
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. For snacks I eat ww string cheese, yoplait, fruits, veges, and nutrigrain bars. After all mine today and dinner I will be 238 under calories..
  • Squrtea
    Options
    Snacks are usually Protein drinks or oatmeal, apples, deviled eggs and grilled chicken tender something (salad, wrap ect) Dinner I almost always have 2 kinds of veggies or legumes and lean meat. Very rarely wildrice or wheat pastas and Lean Meat ( fish or chicken usually). I also do plain yogurt with fresh berries alot. I eat tons. I am never that hungry It just never adds up to 1300.

today my meals went like this
    7 2 egg whites, 1 egg, salsa and wheat tortilla
    9:30 3/4 Oatmeal granola bar
    12 Oatmeal 1 cup, 1/3 fresh blackberries
    2 pm Gala apple
    4 PM 4 ounces Elk steak marinated in EVOO and balsamic vinegar
    12 Asparagus spears
    1/2 wild rice
    6PM Deviled egg with Dijoinaise

comes up to be 1100 ish calories. I am full! It's just crazy!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Perhaps more calorie dense foods might help? Healthy ones of course:wink: PB, nuts, legumes, avocados, that sort of thing added for either snacks or added into a salad and such. It's tough at first when you eat clean, I was the same way at first and sometimes I still struggle a bit on days I don't plan as well. Healthy food just doesn't add up in the calorie dept. quite the way chips and other junk foods do!:wink::drinker:

FC:heart:
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    With the amount of exercise you are doing you really ought to be eating more. That much cardio means at least 60% of your calories should come from carbs. Try aiming for 60% carbs, 20% protein and 20% fats. Try raw almonds and other nuts. They are a good source of all three and should help you increase your overall calories. And try adding fruits like watermelon that have more calories.
  • Squrtea
    Options
    I am following the diet plan in ChaLean Extreme. Hence the 1300 calorie diet. I have lost ...24 pounds since the first week in December. I NEVER end up under 120 grams of carbs even though 90 is my target. I hadn't thought about the nuts.. great reminder! I love them and they as an addition to a snack will boost the calories with healthy fats. I am glad I posted this.. Thanks!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Posting always ends up helping others, so I'm glad you posted too for others benefit as well!:flowerforyou:
  • DawnInOhio
    DawnInOhio Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Snacks are usually Protein drinks or oatmeal, apples, deviled eggs and grilled chicken tender something (salad, wrap ect) Dinner I almost always have 2 kinds of veggies or legumes and lean meat. Very rarely wildrice or wheat pastas and Lean Meat ( fish or chicken usually). I also do plain yogurt with fresh berries alot. I eat tons. I am never that hungry It just never adds up to 1300.

today my meals went like this
    7 2 egg whites, 1 egg, salsa and wheat tortilla
    9:30 3/4 Oatmeal granola bar
    12 Oatmeal 1 cup, 1/3 fresh blackberries
    2 pm Gala apple
    4 PM 4 ounces Elk steak marinated in EVOO and balsamic vinegar
    12 Asparagus spears
    1/2 wild rice
    6PM Deviled egg with Dijoinaise

comes up to be 1100 ish calories. I am full! It's just crazy!

Oh, heck..I'll take your left over calories...or you could add some of my food to your diary...anything to help!:wink: