What age did you start struggling with weight?

Options

Replies

• fatgiraffe2
    fatgiraffe2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was always overweight as a child. My parents didn't let me overeat and I exercised 6 nights a week, either gymnastics, football, rugby, hockey, netball. I loved sports but was always overweight.

When I hit puberty it started to come off. I've been a pear shape since about 13 so I always looked a bit heavy compared to the lean girls in school but my weight was healthy. Then life took a massive turn and as some stupid coping mechanism I ended up with bulimia. I ended up struggling the other way then because my weight was low but I still didn't look "skinny" so getting help was difficult.

Just to clarify, I did not develop an eating disorder due to weight issues or self esteem. It was a response to stress. Years later when I did get help, i did a complete 180 resulting in binge eating disorder. That is how I got to my heaviest weight.

Now, I'm free of any kind of eating disorder. I'm at a weight which is still heavier than I want to be, but it doesn't concern me as I'm losing it healthily. It's strange how someone who has never been overly concerned about their weight can end up being consumed by issues relating to it.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jgramkee wrote: »
    I was 32 when I started having weight issues. I was trying to get pregnant and had to take a lot of fertility medication. The medication messed with my hormones and did a number on me. I had gained 60 lbs. and it has been a struggle to get the weight off. 5 years later I am still working at it. It has brought on a lot of depression and self struggle. I have never been this overweight. I am over 200 lbs now and I just want to drop the weight. I want to be comfortable again. I can't even bring myself to wear a bathing suit to enjoy time with my daughter in our pool. I feel like breaking down every time I look in the mirror.

I know the feeling about wearing a swimsuit. Try to overcome it because kids grow up so fast. When I was 295 I still took my boys to the water park and have great memories of that time. Plus the extra activity is good for you!
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I think I was about 9 when I realize I was bigger than the other kids. Not by much, as I got older though it was more noticable. My mom has never liked cooking so we ate out a lot. She grew up in a household where you didn't waste food because you didn't know how long it would be before the next meal. As a result of this when she got on her own and didn't have to worry about not having enough food she over ate.

The lowest weight I've ever been was 167 after giving birth to my son almost 5 years ago but I was still overweight.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    Literally when I turned 30. I was about 108 in high school, then 120's in my twenties. I got up to 175 three years ago, down to 142 by doing all the wrong things, then gained 60 pounds, getting me up to 200 pounds. Hence, MFP in April of this year. I feel lucky I haven't struggled my entire life but at the same time a bit unlucky as its hard to teach an old dog new tricks and I am now, at the age of 39 learning how to eat healthier and exercise healthier. It's a life changing process! Interesting, frustrating and rewarding!

This is a great thread. So many folks on here are so brave!
  • TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on my legs at age 12 and became immobile for about 12 weeks. That plus puberty made for a high-fat body composition, although not necessarily overweight. So stupid adolescent me went on a starvation diet to get it off. BAD decision. I think I missed out on 2 or 3 inches of height growth as a result.

Anyway, I was on the slim side in high school and normal in college. Then the weight crept up until and through my pregnancies. Went up with baby #1, then down, then up with baby #2, now on my way down again. I have been losing really slowly, which on the one hand I'm ok with, on the other hand I want to be back in a normal weight already. I hope to be normal weight in about 13 weeks.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I started right after first grade back in primary school... Now I wish I had known so much more about how easy it is to maintain your weight, how every aspect of your body is in your hands, but of course as a young child I couldn't have known all that. My family and relatives have always had weird beliefs regarding weight and getting fat, so I just lived with those beliefs and thought I couldn't be anything but an overweight child and then adult.
  • nickelHD
    nickelHD Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Late teens my weight started slowly creeping up. I was very thin in high school and had an awful diet. But back then I could eat anything and I was still very thin. My 2nd year of college I started slowing down my activity a bit from about 15-20 hours a week of dance/track/basketball to just a few hours a week of organized physical activity. But the more noticeable weight gains were after starting my first real job (at a desk in an office) and then again with kids. It slowly crept up so I didn't even realize I was 42 pounds over my wedding day weight. Now, at 41 years old, I am eating healthier and staying more active. I have lost 15 pounds but even better than that... I feel so much better.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I got "chubby" after an unremarkable first 7 years of life in the third grade. I remember being called chubby by family and having a protruding/rounded abdomen as well as chubby arms/legs. By fourth grade, I grew out of it thanks to a growth spurt. Never had a weight problem as an older child or teenager (or even young adult) beyond that. From the 7th or 8th grade through undergrad, my weight was set and flexed ~5 lbs around a rather skinny for me 123 pounds "set point" @ 5'7" tall.

I started gaining weight when I started sitting in a classroom and/or lab for 8-16 hours a day plus had a desk bound work study job. By August 1998 I was up to 136 pounds from that 123 I'd been since I'd started paying attention to what my weight was. 136 pounds was fine, no problem. July 2000 I was clocking in at 150. Okay, I was feeling a tad overweight. By June 2002 I was 160. Still alright, but not really happy as now mostly a size 12 versus 10-12. By December 2003 I was 168. Ugh. Lost down to 138 on the first diet written by someone (Atkins NDR) I ever tried that winter. Was 142 in July 2006 when I quit tobacco. By February 2007 I was 186 thanks to quitting tobacco, mostly.

I've been as low as 165 in 2009 and again in 2012 and as high as 238 in July 2015 thanks to riding the low carb yo-yo for eight years while trying to get back to 142. I started watching portion sizes last July at 238. I started counting calories last November at 212. Was down to 195 when I fell off the counting and logging truck in April and regained almost everything I'd lost since I'd started counting in half the time it took to lose it. Restarted at the end of June at almost 211 pounds.
  • Gerbsxyng412
    Gerbsxyng412 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Age 12.

Puberty plus moving to the US and having to eat the oh so healthy cafeteria food (if food it could be called). I about doubled my weight. Managed to lose parts of it when I changed school and had the possibility of taking my own lunch with me and had to go to school under my own power (bike/foot/roller blades). Gained some of it back when I moved back to Switzerland and got seriously depressed. Lost again when I started university and joined the fencing team. Gained again (up to my highest of 110kg) when an injury made all physical activity grind to halt from one day to the next (from 12-16 hours fencing + figure skating practice a week to 0). Kept on eating as if I were still practicing sports. Got depressed. Ate even more because I was depressed and fat. Got even fatter. Ate even more.

Happily losing now but it's going to take another 1-2 years to no longer be overweight. I'll get there eventually. :smile:
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    30. It was like someone just pulled the "high metabolism plug". I know now that it was because I was being lazy and eating tons, but that's what it felt like. I'm still struggling to keep my weight stable (as soon as I relax it comes back on), but it's a lifetime process.
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    age 14. my Grandfather was in hospital a lot and died that summer. Me, tagging along, hung out in lounge and snacked on the "nutritious" but super high calorie snacks available. Plus a lack of enough exercise. And a family that thought my weight was "OK." I'm 6'3 after all. I was in the overweight BMI, but made excuses for myself.

Went to college at 218 lb. dropped a good 10 lb over the first year. Who would have guessed...walking everywhere, making smart choices at the mess hall. studying instead of going to drunken parties. {sigh, could have had more fun}

Been around 205-208 the past 15 years now. I'm really good at maintaining that. But just sick of being 20 lb overweight. No, its not "muscle." After almost 2 months, I'm at 194.5 this morning. Going to start strength training once the pool closes end of this month.

• lilcharmer214
    lilcharmer214 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Around age 30. I've been pretty slender my whole life but around 29-30, I started getting into the 130s and starting getting a small tummy. I also got married around that time and put on "comfort weight". At 35, I had a baby and got to my highest weight of 140 after the fact.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    When i was 10. Looking back at pictures, I was never over weight, I wasnt skinny though. My mom made sure I knew I wasn't skinny because everyone else in our family was skinny. That started my life long battle relationship with food and my distorted body image.

Why oh why do parents do this to their children!!?? :(

Good question! I remember my mom's boyfriend calling me Miss Piggy at dinners, and I wasn't even fat then. It doesn't help build a healthy food relationship!
  • 87sid
    87sid Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Third grade. We moved to a new neighborhood and there weren't many kids. In my old neighborhood we played outside from the time we got home from school until dark. But at the new house I just sat in my mom's room and watched tv all night. I would say my eating habits were somewhat normal, it was the lack of activity that I've always struggled with. But then i was bored/depressed so food became a comfort/fun activity. Then I lost the weight probably from 17-18. Got pregnant at 19 and have been fat ever since.
  • Hyperbum
    Hyperbum Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was skin and bones before I hit puberty then I got heavier than most girls in school. I don't remember a particular weight but I was heavy and everyone saw it with some even commenting on it. When I got pregnant with my first son I ironically slimmed down (probably due to 9 months of tossing my cookies) and could fit in my smallest shorts when I left the hospital after having him. I had two more boys and stayed within a normal bmi during and after pregnancy. Then I had baby #3 my daughter. I was like a ballon that kept filling and never burst. I remember the doctor telling me to watch my food choices. I developed cravings for things I never liked (ice cream, fries and chocolate). I still like those things now. I continued to gain weight after having her and then when I went back for another degree in college and ate my way through. Now I'm losing and happy to say I've gotten back into a normal BMI. Loads to go until I'm happy with he mirror but I'm now conscious that I have to work for it.
  • lalgandiyo
    lalgandiyo Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    About 9-10 years old, when I just stopped being active because sports was wearing me out and I couldn't focus at school. The school meals were unhealthy back then, when there wasn't free and reduced lunch meals. I started worrying about in 8th grade and ever since I have lost 100 lbs combined. Now I am on the the way to a six-pack.
  • mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Around 20 I noticed that my body felt different in the shower, when I mentioned it to my gf she said "yeah, you are getting fluffy!" It didn't stop but that was when I first noticed it.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Probably 2-3rd grade. I remember looking at what my friends put as their weight on our softball trading cards and adding a few lbs, bc no way was I telling my real weight. Mom put me and my brother on a kids weight loss program in 6th grade, but it wasn't really till senior year of HS that I dropped my weight with diet and running.

In college I reinvented myself as a sporty girl and other than a 3 yr period in graduate school of stress induced bum-sitting and crummy eating I've stayed the same 135-7, excepting 4 pregnancies where I gained 50-60 lbs (and lost it within a year post partum). Now I'm actually lighter than college me!
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    5. I look fine in photos at ages up to 3, but at 5, I was a chubby chipmunk. I was also aware that I was larger than the other kids at that age and had picked up on snippets of adult conversation about my weight becoming an issue. I went on my first self-monitored, calorie-counting diet at 10 or 11. I started that on my own; no one put me up to it. I was reading food labels and writing down the calories in a little notebook.