Active 5"2 women calories for weight loss

Options
I'm a 20 5'2 very active woman who weighs 120 and my goal weight is 110 but I'm struggling with weight loss. School starts back in a week, but I tried to lose weight for about a month on 900-1200 which never worked out. I didn't lose anything and end up binging after a week of dieting and the repeat. I do intense workouts for 2-2.5 hours daily and I now know that my daily calories is clearly not enough. I don't know how many calories I need for fast weight loss but anything under 1200-1300 is too little for me because it has left me starving, keeping me up all night, feeling depressed, weak, tired, and not being able to concentrate. I want to stay on a diet for at least a month or 2 and not feeling hungry or having the urge to binge. I don't want to cut out any food groups or my favorite foods but I also want to lose weight fast but also feel good all day. How many calories do you short active women eat for weight loss? It could help give me an idea of how much I really need and how long did it take for you to lose weight? I really want to lose these 10 pounds I gained during the summer asap. Thank you.

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, I'd eat around 1800 calories. My advice is put your stats into MFP and choose to lose .5# (half a pound) per week since you only want to lose 10#. Put yourself at sedentary activity and eat back half those calories if you're using what MFP gives out for calories burns.

I'm consistent with my activity, so I am set to moderately active and only log purposeful exercise.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    If you had difficulties losing on 900 - 1200 it indicates you are most likely not weighing your food. Get a good scale and weigh all your solids and select the accurate corresponding entry. Measure all your liquids. If you're active you should be able to lose at 1400 calories. I'm 5'2, 39yo, active, and went from 120lb to 110lb on 1400 a day. You may want to invest in an activity tracker to get an idea of what you're burning in a day. They're not 100% accurate but over time you can gauge your calorie intake for the day. I also recommend you figure out your TDEE - Google TDEE calculator - you should be able to find one. Make sure your weightloss goals are realistic - you're not go my to lose 10 lbs in one month in a healthy fashion - it's going to take time to get down to 110lbs - plan on losing a half pound a week. Good luck!
  • BlackPantherChick123
    BlackPantherChick123 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food all the time, I track everything but the problem is, it's so low that it's left me starving and weak. MFP has me set to 1540 which seems ok to me. I use to lose lots of weight in less than a month but that was from starving but I don't want to do that again because I was miserable, especially in college. Now it's a new year and I want to lose weight in a healthy way and be able to enjoy myself and school again without feeling hungry, depressed, or having the urge to binge because of how hungry I feel.
  • tomorrowistoday0000
    tomorrowistoday0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue when I was down to my last 10 lbs. I went from 133 to 111 but back up now. Honestly, I had to trick my body by giving it one heavier meal, once a week. I also changed my workout routine. Before I was running miles at a steady pace but started incorporating hills, speed and weights. So it depends what you mean by intense workout, total calories burned or burst of intensity (to the point of puking). Also, I made my workout harder each week by increasing the intensity without increasing the duration and before I knew it, my scale was going down with no issue. I was also able to eat heavier and maintain. However, that all went downhill for me when I quit working out. :( Now I'm back to square one.
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 1 and weigh 119lbs. 2 months ago I weighed 130lbs. I've not found it too difficult to lose that but now I'm down to my last 4lbs I'm finding it much harder. It's what we call 'vanity pounds' which seem to be harder to lose. I'm eating 1200cals a day and eat half my exercise calories back. I've just upped my workouts from 3 times a week to 4 or 5 so most days I get 1400cals. If you find it hard to stick to, look for patterns of when you feel more hungry. Mine was evenings so I pushed dinner time back later and made sure I kept myself busy between lunch and dinner so I didn't notice the hunger as much. I also have a treat every day. Sometimes it's a small peice of chocolate or a cookie or some ice cream. I'll make sure I eat these treats when I'm not really hungry so I don't overindulge. A high protien diet will also help with making you feel fuller but if I want carbs, which i normally do on workout days I won't beat myself up about having less protien on these days and just eat the carbs. I think it's all about mindset and finding ways/routines that help you succeed. What is 'fast' to you? I'm a pretty impatient person so my weight loss slowing down has really bugged me but I'd rather go slow, do it healthy and stick to it that try to lose it fast and fail miserably.
  • louise5779
    louise5779 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 3 and currently trying to get down to 117 again possibly 112 but haven’t decided yet I think 112 may be a little too far. I’m current sitting at 128 so have about 11 lbs to go.

Last year I got to my target of 117, I was completely focused and weighed everything, log everything, exercised to the max, stuck to a strict 1200 cals and eat back half my exercise cals. It was very hard but I was so focused. It took me 10 weeks of extremely hard living to lose 3.6 lbs and get to that 117 goal.

Slowly with a few good holidays and a neck injury through a car accident I put the weight back on and reached my heaviest ever of 135lbs. After months of putting it off because of how tough it felt last time I decided to shift the weight again. This time I’ve done it different, I bought a Fitbit charge HR.

I’ve lost 7.2lbs in my first 3 weeks and I know it’s only 3 weeks but never had results as good as this before. I eat to the Fitbit TDEE and find it so much easier. I don’t feel hungry at all and eating about 1400 cals per day with a 1000 cal defiect. I still weight and log everything but don’t have to try and calculate exercise burn and eat back amounts. I used MFP to log the food but I only eat as much as the fitbit app tells me too. I really don’t feel hungry or like I’m starving, I don’t crave or want for anything and I’m exercising way less too.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I guess it's hard for me to stay on a diet because I have nothing much to keep me busy. I wish school could hurry and start back so I'll be busy and I alway lose lots of weight during schoo because I'm unaware of how long it has been. I tried to use a calendar to mark off my days of dieting but to me, that seem to slow the day down. I just want to stay on a diet without messing up. I want to stay on a diet at least until my birthday because that's a day I plan on taking it easy which is in 2.5 weeks. I hope to reach 110 soon because I hate dieting so much.
  • Vibrant_Gainz
    Vibrant_Gainz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1'' and 120 lb right now, which is more than I usually weigh. (I tend to sit @ 107-110lb when I'm being good) I've always found that 1400 cal/day is the ideal intake for me when trying to slim down. Keeps me full enough that I don't get grumpy/hungry/depressed/etc., while still losing. Cut your workouts down to 60-90 min, and keep them intense w/ lots of strength exercises. Too long of workouts will just rev up your metabolism and leave you starving/binging which is the opposite of what you want to do. It will be slower than starving yourself (that's a good thing haha), but I promise you'll feel A LOT better and after a couple of months you'll see the difference!!
  • heartofplastic
    heartofplastic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm 5'1 and 104 lbs trying to lose another 6 pounds or so. I have my goal set at 1200 calories per day and I try to eat small meals or snack every 2 hours. And if I go to the gym I'll do an hour of cardio. I am able to stay under my limit 6 out of 7 days and I give myself one day a week to enjoy food without restricting! What I try to do is buy foods that are a low calorie option. Even for small things like ketchup and butter I get the lowest calorie brand. For breakfast I'll have a medium egg (not large) with a low calorie English muffin (they have ones that are only 100 calories instead of the standard 120). And of course weigh things that are not packaged so you don't underestimate. Small things like that make a difference at the end of the day! Feel free to add me so you can look at my diary for any food ideas :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Rather than "fast" weight loss how about sustainable weight loss? You've already been floundering around trying to do things in an unhealthy way because you think it'll be quicker and had no results. Wouldn't it be better to take a few months to lose that weight and then be able to keep it off once you reach your goal?
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    The reason why I want it off fast is because I hate diets even though recently I been trying to fit in my favorite foods into my daily calories but it seems impossible because a lot of my favorite foods are so high in calories that I cut them out until a special occasion which sucks.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The reason why I want it off fast is because I hate diets even though recently I been trying to fit in my favorite foods into my daily calories but it seems impossible because a lot of my favorite foods are so high in calories that I cut them out until a special occasion which sucks.

Then. Don't. Diet.

With the healthy weight you are now and your activity level, if you aren't happy with your body then perhaps consider eating at maintenance and focusing on strength training for Recomp.

At the most you should have your goal set to lose no more than 0.5 lb/week and if you are doing 2 hrs/day of strenuous activity (which is unnecessary) them you would have plenty of exercise calories to eat.

I'm the same height and weight as you, but my exercise is mostly walking. My TDEE is 2200 which means yours should be at least that or higher with your exercise. You should be able to eat 2000 cals/day and still lose. That's plenty of cals to fit in your favorite foods, even some calorie dense ones.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I could try that. It's very hard to break habits.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    working out for up to 2 1/2 hrs a day you need to eat more than you do ! I do 90 mins a day even at maintenance and maintain on 2200 (I'm same height and 47), when I was in losing phase I lost 1/2lb a week eating 1700-1800 calories.

Actually I am just seeing that you are at an ideal weight for your height so perhaps a recomp would be a better idea. Also there really is no need to spend so much time working out. I have to say even at maintenance I question why I do 90 mins a day but I do find it very enjoyable and alot of walking is counted in that 90 mins so I figure its healthy and good for me.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    Working out for so long for me has been habit. I done it for years and I find it enjoyable mostly and also hard to break.