Moving to a new town, change of environment...helps?

Options
I seem to always gain weight when I move home and live with my mom. I have issues with binging/overeating in general despite being active. I seem to lose weight when I am on my own...although i don't really keep food in the house unless i plan it out to my calories...I just can't portion control well especially when dieting.

anyway...wondering if anyone has experienced changing cities/living situations has helped with their weightless. I think I am depressed here too and stressed more. Hoping that this will get me in the right mindset to be ok with the hunger and control my environment.

Did you find that moving to a new place, having a fresh start helped reset patterns, made dieting easier? I know I will be more active in general as right now I'm just going to the gym and working out hard, but then sit most of the day otherwise. I'm moving to a place where i'll be hiking, walking a bit more in addition to the gym.

Replies

• charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    nobody?
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Since you're moving to a place where you'll be more active, that's a great start. Buy a digital food scale, weigh and log your food and try to stay within your calories for the day. Anytime you start feeling discouraged, go over to the success page on these boards and read up on others transformation.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Moving also can lead to weight gain because of added stress, change of routines, loss of familiar gym, etc, so be aware of both sides and plan ahead like you are. Good luck TO you!
  • trent13az
    trent13az Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I travel quite a bit, working different assignments. I have been in Milwaukee and Chicago all 2016 and have finally gotten laid off so I'm back home in AZ until the next job comes along. I have found that initially going to a new local is great because of the new mental and visual stimulus (along with getting lost and trying to find your way back to your hotel), but your mind is in a different place, more actively thinking about other things. Bad thing is the down time and being alone. I always try to maintain my regime/routine - get up early - 4:30am, go to the gym, go to work (I usually work 50-60hrs/wk), get back to the hotel, make my meals for the next day, eat, TV/computer time, bed by 9 or 10pm. Weekends and after work are the toughest because you may be alone, bored and sometimes depressed from missing family (I have a wife and 3 daughters at home in the PHX area).
    I do eat better and smarter on the road than at home though. I can eat fruits, veggies, eggs and lean meat when, how and as much as I want. When I'm home, I end up being a Dad and I have to "get rid" of left overs so food isn't wasted, which means someone has to eat that last piece of pizza or bowl of spaghetti or whatever that stuff was in that bowl back in the back of the fridge.

Keep your schedule structured and make sure that your down time, alone time and bored time doesn't talk you into doing something you may feel bad about later.

Good luck.
    Chris
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Here I find I am alone even though I have family here. I am really unhappy as there isn't a sense of community here. I pretty much isolate myself and sit on the couch all day at home, combined with eating too often and too much. I'm in the gym every day but a couch potato otherwise. I have a job that doesn't require me to be in an office and I am hoping to change that as well with the move. It was a lot easier to lose weight when I was in college as classes kept my mind engaged in other things as well. Will definitely keep up the gym but hopefully add a lot more to my schedule so I don't dwell on my body and focus on the positive..
    trent13az wrote: »
    I travel quite a bit, working different assignments. I have been in Milwaukee and Chicago all 2016 and have finally gotten laid off so I'm back home in AZ until the next job comes along. I have found that initially going to a new local is great because of the new mental and visual stimulus (along with getting lost and trying to find your way back to your hotel), but your mind is in a different place, more actively thinking about other things. Bad thing is the down time and being alone. I always try to maintain my regime/routine - get up early - 4:30am, go to the gym, go to work (I usually work 50-60hrs/wk), get back to the hotel, make my meals for the next day, eat, TV/computer time, bed by 9 or 10pm. Weekends and after work are the toughest because you may be alone, bored and sometimes depressed from missing family (I have a wife and 3 daughters at home in the PHX area).
    I do eat better and smarter on the road than at home though. I can eat fruits, veggies, eggs and lean meat when, how and as much as I want. When I'm home, I end up being a Dad and I have to "get rid" of left overs so food isn't wasted, which means someone has to eat that last piece of pizza or bowl of spaghetti or whatever that stuff was in that bowl back in the back of the fridge.

Keep your schedule structured and make sure that your down time, alone time and bored time doesn't talk you into doing something you may feel bad about later.

Good luck.
    Chris
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,173 Member
    Options
    I've gained weight each time I moved. It's a combination of eating convenient food, trying to clean out the cupboards, and exercising less during the month of packing and month of getting settled.

But different places and situations have made it easier to keep the weight off or to lose weight.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ive moved a total of 4 times in the past 2 years to care for family, then back to my house, left my husband, he died, moved back to my house....

makes no difference to me where i am.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'll lose a little during the moving process, and then regain when I'm settled. I've "hoped" I could keep the weight off, lol to that, not going to happen without a plan.

But being on holiday, or just overall having more fun/interesting things to do, a more structured day, being more active naturally, makes me lose weight without trying.

This time around, I aimed to emulate the feeling of holiday - take better care of myself, stress down, do something fun every day, manage sleep better, eat better food, eat proper meals. Maintaining weight is suddenly virtually effortless.
  • kiramommy08
    kiramommy08 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just moved about 2 weeks ago and i swear im losing my mind. Eating out two three times a day, not counting or logging calories or any physical activities. Drinking more alcohol. Just picking up old habits it started the moment i knew i was moving back home. No close by free gym like i had access to before. Im really bummed. I also know i DO NOT want to gain all the weight back that ive lost and kept off for over a year (50lbs). Im gonna try and start off slow if not i know im goin to get stressed and overwhelmed.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    As a military brat who moved every two years growing up, I would caution you about of setting yourself up for disappointmentby talking youself into thinking geography is your problem.

Wherever you go, you'll still be you, and your struggles may have much more to do with WHO you are the WHERE you are.
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think I am the only one who did lose weight after a major move to another country...but it's because my household went from 2 to 1. My time was all mine, and I was able to break out of the rut. This is only because I made a conscience effort to eat less (don't like the native cuisine anyway) and move more. I don't want to sound all rainbows and butteries, but I struggled in the begin with questioning myself which led to mild depression and a bit of homesickness.

The one thing I want to address is the sense of community. Be proactive and get yourself plugged into a social group/club that shares your interests.