New to cycling commute - questions.

Options
VeganMagpie
VeganMagpie Posts: 24 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm after some advice re: cycling to work. I used to cycle everywhere when I lived in Amsterdam but now I'm in Edinburgh and my route is 3.9 miles each way with ~300 ft hills up and down. This probably sounds like nothing to most people but for the unfit me I'm a little apprehensive. I'm getting a new bike (with gears!) through cycle-to-work scheme but I'm a little worried about turning up at work in a state!

Should I maybe do some shorter rides before heading off to work? Should I be aiming for cycling there and back everyday?

Any general advice?

Cheers.

Replies

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Climbing just depends on your gearing. And the gradient you're going to be climbing at. I would rather climb 300 feet at 4%-5% over a longer distance than climb 300 feet at 10%-12% over a shorter distance.

I would go out and ride [the route] before riding to work so you're not out of breath when you get there. As far as riding to and from. I live 9.5 miles away from work and cycling several times a week during the spring and autumn months. Where I live we see 100 plus degree [Fahrenheit] so I don't ride to and from work in the Dog Days of Summer. The biggest hill I have to climb on my way home is 358 feet at 9%-12%.
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Edinburgh is quite a good cycling town and you can use the bus lanes. I used to commute from near the castle to south gyle (about 16 miles) and it is a great way of keeping fit. Just be careful at the junctions as car drivers are not very aware of cyclists. Have great lights front and rear on your helmet (one set fixed and the other blinking) to help the visibility issues, don't ride in the gutter (lots of broken glass) and use the quieter back roads where you can. Wearing bright colours also helps and carrying your change of clothes in a pannier on the right hand side of the bike will help encourage drivers to give you extra clearance.

I would start by riding one way, taking the bus home then reversing it the following day but you should quickly get to being able to ride both ways. The hills can be steep but take your time and you'll be fine.

If you need any cycling gear, I can recommend the Edinburgh cycling cooperative. Their annual clearance sale normally starts in September or October and while their prices are always reasonable, discounts are normally good.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Do the commute on a Saturday or Sunday, once or twice or more, to practice when you're not pressed for time. Then, when you feel more comfortable, try it as a real commute.
  • sutibo
    sutibo Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky that I have showers at my work, so I cycle in cycle gear, arrive in a state, jump in the shower and appear ready for work. I take work clothes in panniers on my bike.

My route is about 6 miles each way and until recently I did it every day. It took me about an hour door to desk (30 minutes cycling, 10 minutes crying and trying to get my breath back, 15 minutes shower, 5 minutes getting a bacon sandwich and tea from the canteen on the way to my desk).

Some tips:
    - If you don't have showers at work then take baby wipes to freshen up before heading into the office.
    - No shame in getting off and walking up hills if you find them too tiring or if you're 'glowing' too much.
    - Low gear and spinning up a hill is better than high gear and mashing - it's less tiring.
    - It's not a race. In Holland people tend to cycle at 10mph in their normal clothes. In the UK people tend to cycle at 20mph in lycra dashing from traffic light to traffic light.
    - watch out for "bike to work week" our office used to do free breakfasts for people who cycled that week.
    - On the cycle to work scheme you can also get bike related gear too - helmets, locks, bright coloured jackets, lights etc.
    - give yourself plenty of time the first few times so you know how long it takes to become presentable for work. (I was lovely and fresh thanks to the shower, but my face was bright red until lunchtime - I tried to schedule meetings for the afternoon)

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    sutibo wrote: »
    I'm lucky that I have showers at my work, so I cycle in cycle gear, arrive in a state, jump in the shower and appear ready for work. I take work clothes in panniers on my bike.

My route is about 6 miles each way and until recently I did it every day. It took me about an hour door to desk (30 minutes cycling, 10 minutes crying and trying to get my breath back, 15 minutes shower, 5 minutes getting a bacon sandwich and tea from the canteen on the way to my desk).

Some tips:
    - If you don't have showers at work then take baby wipes to freshen up before heading into the office.
    - No shame in getting off and walking up hills if you find them too tiring or if you're 'glowing' too much.
    - Low gear and spinning up a hill is better than high gear and mashing - it's less tiring.
    - It's not a race. In Holland people tend to cycle at 10mph in their normal clothes. In the UK people tend to cycle at 20mph in lycra dashing from traffic light to traffic light.
    - watch out for "bike to work week" our office used to do free breakfasts for people who cycled that week.
    - On the cycle to work scheme you can also get bike related gear too - helmets, locks, bright coloured jackets, lights etc.
    - give yourself plenty of time the first few times so you know how long it takes to become presentable for work. (I was lovely and fresh thanks to the shower, but my face was bright red until lunchtime - I tried to schedule meetings for the afternoon)

The bolded is an important factor. I have a little fixed-gear cruiser bike and I mosey along on it - takes me over 20 minutes to do my 4.5 mile commute so I am really, really not exerting myself. It's still way faster than walking though so I don't really feel the need to go any faster. This way, I arrive at work clean and not sweaty and don't have to shower or change anything but my shoes.

I just started biking again to work after not really doing it last year as I needed to repair my bike, and I forgot how much I loved it as an alternative to driving or taking public transit. I was walking to work but it was taking over an hour each way and that was too much, so even cutting that down 1/3 has been great.

If you WANT to use your cycling commute as a real workout then more power to you, as it's certainly a great way to multitask, but for me, my main workouts are running so I just use the bike as a pleasant, stress-free way to get to work in a reasonable time frame. I have no ambition to be a Lycra warrior, lol.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I was also going to say 'cycle really slowly' - I am somewhere in the middle: I wear cycling gear and change in the office, but I don't try very hard on the bike at all so I don't need a shower when I get there. Also watch out for Aldi's cycling promotions (I think they have one on at the moment) - lots of decent cheap cycling gear.
  • VeganMagpie
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice! Feeling a little less anxious now and just have to worry about not getting hit by a car!
  • VeganMagpie
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If you WANT to use your cycling commute as a real workout then more power to you, as it's certainly a great way to multitask, but for me, my main workouts are running so I just use the bike as a pleasant, stress-free way to get to work in a reasonable time frame. I have no ambition to be a Lycra warrior, lol.

I also just want a less stress, more fresh-air, way to commute. Do you run in the mornings? I normally run before work but thinking so much exercise prior to coffee might be a little ambitious!
  • VeganMagpie
    Options
    sutibo wrote: »

Luckily have showers also so won't stink but yeah, the red face is something I suffer from!

Thanks for your comment, it made me smile and realise I a won't be alone in arriving early to feel human again :)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

I also just want a less stress, more fresh-air, way to commute. Do you run in the mornings? I normally run before work but thinking so much exercise prior to coffee might be a little ambitious!

I do run in the mornings. I get up at five, have a coffee and a protein bar, and try to get in 6-8 miles depending on what time I actually get out there, then have a quick shower and bike to work for 8AM. In the winter l get up and go straight to the gym to run and then get ready there, but I generally also have to take the train in winter as I live in a harsh climate with -40, snowy weather and if it's too cold to run it's too cold to cycle. No frostbite on my face, thanks!

Because I only have to bike about 4 miles I don't find it a problem after running, especially with a little break to shower and get ready. I'm definitely ready for a second coffee when I hit my desk though!