Recomp Time?

Options
19 lbs to "goal weight." Opinions?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    IMO you are too far away from goal weight.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You can but I would do it with 5-10 lbs to lose.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    as an add on question to this, I was thinking I might aim for about 5 pounds less than I actually care to weigh before I really get into recomp. That way when I start adding back the calories I won't have to lose back as much... make sense?
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Seems a bit too soon
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    as an add on question to this, I was thinking I might aim for about 5 pounds less than I actually care to weigh before I really get into recomp. That way when I start adding back the calories I won't have to lose back as much... make sense?

No it doesn't.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Imo it depends on your goal. Is it on the high side of a healthy weight range for you? It might not be a good time for recomping because you have quite a bit of fat to burn yet. Is it on the lower side? Maybe a recomp would be good because staying at the higher end of your healthy range is actually a reasonably good weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

+1 but adding, it's never too early to start lifting :smiley:
  • SeanNJ
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Have been; but started stalling hard on a lot of my lifts, and thought I'd change tactics.
  • SeanNJ
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Imo it depends on your goal. Is it on the high side of a healthy weight range for you? It might not be a good time for recomping because you have quite a bit of fat to burn yet. Is it on the lower side? Maybe a recomp would be good because staying at the higher end of your healthy range is actually a reasonably good weight.

No, I still have a ways to go. After reading everything here, I figure I'll stick with the deficit and I'll just have to accept that my lifting progress will be limited for the foreseeable future. No biggie.

Thanks again!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    SeanNJ wrote: »

Have been; but started stalling hard on a lot of my lifts, and thought I'd change tactics.

How much is your calorie deficit? What is your weight? How many grams of carbs, protein and fat are you getting?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You could take a 2 week break at maintenance ..it might help
  • SeanNJ
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    SeanNJ wrote: »

How much is your calorie deficit? What is your weight? How many grams of carbs, protein and fat are you getting?

Deficit is 500 cals per day, so I usually end up eating somewhere between 1900 and 2000, on average.

ATM, I'm 6'1" 209lb. Squat stalled at 210, BP at 125, OP at 85. Deadlift was 250 on Wednesday, so still making progress there.

I've got my macros set to 40/30/30 C/P/F. Having trouble with the protein, to be honest. Even sucking down a whey shake, if I get 1 g/lb, that's a good day. Usually over on fats (I love almonds and avocados), and under or even on carbs.

@rabbitjb : Was thinking about a break, and with the holidays, that might happen whether I plan it or not. :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How's your form, you could drop some weight and check form then work up again :)
  • SeanNJ
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    How's your form, you could drop some weight and check form then work up again :)

Form is good, from what I've been told; but deloads are coming for sure. Repeated failures can be a little demoralizing.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    If you have 19 pounds to lose you could change your deficit - maybe 300 calories? You could also change your protein to 0.8 g/lb and eat a little more carbs (might help with your lifts).

If it has been awhile since you have taken a break - now is the perfect time to do it! http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Personally I would drop calories and get within 5-10lbs of your goal weight and then move to maintenance or just below.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Excellent work @SeanNJ.
    Thanks so much for coming back and updating.

Cheers, h.