anyone work in healthcare?

Options
squishycow7
squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
I made a huge mistake at work about a month ago...just found out about it today - anyone familiar with HIPAA? What happened was:

The two patients had the same name.
The patient I saw should have been "created" in the system as a new patient, but I logged them under the other/existing account.
The middle initial/birthdays are different (how I didn't notice this, I don't know, I don't even remember the patient).
The correct insurance was billed, but the copay (which was not collected at the visit) was billed to the patient's address.
It's not the address of the patient who was seen, it's the address of the one with the same name.

How screwed am I? What kind of fine is staring at my employer? Am I going to be fired?!

I am FREAKING OUT.

Replies

• hardenedheartx
    hardenedheartx Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A coworker of mine did the same thing, and she wasn't fired. She did get talked to though. As long as you own up to your mistake and don't make excuses you will, hopefully, be fine.
  • hardenedheartx
    hardenedheartx Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A coworker of mine did the same thing, and she wasn't fired. She did get talked to though. As long as you own up to your mistake and don't make excuses you will, hopefully, be fine.
  • kkmark
    kkmark Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am in Healthcare. But on Technical side

I can understand don't worry this happens i guess talk to ur Manager/Boss and then you can talk to the Patient and try to talk to him

My guess they will understand

Hope this helps
  • CBaumgardner7
    CBaumgardner7 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse. First of all, I would tell your boss of the incident. To be honest, they probally will be upset and most of the time, blame you. But, it should be a easy fix unless the patient is upset and then wants to go the sueing route which is most unlikely esp. in this instance. I would explain first to your boss and then see where it may lead to. It really is an honest mistake and anyone could have done what you've done. Don't beat yourself up on it.
  • campb2ti
    campb2ti Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I work in a pharmacy and when we have a HIPPA violation the owner wrote up EVERYONE that was working that day. As far as I know the owner has not been fined.
  • deb_rn
    deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    No one received the wrong treatment, meds or surgery. It was not deliberate incorrect billing. I cannot imagine that a fine would be involved. It is a lesson learned.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    It sounds like an easy and honest mistake to make. As long as the insurance was billed correctly, it shouldn't be a huge problem. Good luck getting all that straight. I know at the hospital near my college they will ask you your name and birthday every time someone comes in the room. I'm guessing something like that happened to start that policy.
  • shai29
    shai29 Posts: 13
    Options
    Yes! I am familiar with HiPPA. It was an innocent mistake. Depending on how close you are with your boss it may not be anything serious. If you never got in trouble before the most you will probably get is a verbal warning. I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I was called in the office and received a verbal warning on my mistake. I believe I got the verbal warning only because she knew I was a great worker. So she didn't try to get me fired or write me up. She suggested I take my time from now on and review my work. I hope everything goes well for you and this was some help. GOOD LUCK!
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    blahhh. thank you guys

I only found out about because my boss called me up about it...

she's a very nice person but just hearing the phrase "this is not okay" made me tear up. I know I'm hard on myself in NON-serious mess-ups, so this one is really really getting to me.

I'm very thorough 99% of the time,but this is a HUGE mistake. Can't believe it.

But it is being reported, since the billing fines need to be fixed n all.... she's definitely not just going to brush it off and scold me.
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I used to be an insurance biller and this happens alot. Its just a careless mistake, but you do have to be careful when dealing w/ people's personal medical information. The reason your boss was prob stern w/ you is because of the backlash that your hospital and facility can receive from the patient and from the executive level if this mistake is reported.
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I work in health insurance so I get to hear HIPPA and PHI all day long. I doubt there will be much of a fine if at all but probably a talking too and maybe even some "Privacy Training". I had a work friend who sent some HIPPA to the wrong client (hundreds of members PHI) and it was made into a really big deal, conference calls with legal and the clients, apology letters, additional training for her, etc. It wasn't pleasant but she wasn't written up or fired or anything, mistakes happen. Hope it goes well, sorry it happened, it's the worst feeling to screw up but you're human so don't let it get to you too much.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    People make mistakes! hopefully they dont make a big deal about it at your work (((hug)))
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    This is an inadvertant disclosure which is not finable. Your employer does need to report it because knowing about a disclosure and not reporting it is can have fines, etc assessed. I believe any course of action regarding you would likely be some re-training, etc. Read your employee handbook and company privacy policies to see what my qualify for disciplinary action when privacy policies are not followed. I think you would have to show a pattern of inadvertant disclosures or a willful intention to disclose.

Hope everything turns out OK.
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Please promise you will learn from this and then put it behind you. Thinking about it too often can lead to distraction and keep your mind from the daily tasks at hand. I have been there, done that, and hopefully learned. You seem to be handling the situation with grace just as you probably most of life's challenges.