Calories burned - believe the elliptical or HRM?

Options
bellasera973
bellasera973 Posts: 16 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
In the elliptical at the gym, I put in my weight, choose an incline, and it syncs with my heart rate monitor so it keeps track of my heart rate during my workout... at the end it says I burned 430 cal. BUT my heart rate monitor says I've burned 620. That's quite a difference. Which one am I supposed to believe??

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Does your HRM have your height/weight stats? Your resting HR? I'd probably go with whichever had the most information as I'd think it would be more accurate, but I tend to just use my Fitbit and don't pay attention to anything else.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the lowest. How long were you on the elliptical - both sound pretty high to me unless you were on for over an hour...
  • bellasera973
    Options
    I'd go with the lowest. How long were you on the elliptical - both sound pretty high to me unless you were on for over an hour...

I'm usually on it for 45-55mins at a time.
  • bellasera973
    Options
    MzManiak wrote: »
    Does your HRM have your height/weight stats? Your resting HR? I'd probably go with whichever had the most information as I'd think it would be more accurate, but I tend to just use my Fitbit and don't pay attention to anything else.

That's a good point. My HRM has more stats (my height, weight, and resting HR.)
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Depends on your BMI. Gender, Age, Height, Weight all play a roll. I would run with the one who as the most information about you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    those burn estimate are notoriously not accurate. I would suggest cutting that number in half, or by 75%.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Your HRM, assuming that is not only incorporates the personal information of you (gender, height, weight, age...), but also constantly monitors your heart rate during your entire exercise period, likely has the best calculation of the two options.

All cardio machines are programmed for an average person of some certain average build working at the various intensity levels available by the machine for various lengths of time you maintain those intensity levels. (The HRM's measurements are a bit more reliable because they measure your body's reaction to the increased intensity and duration of intensity.) They traditional computing calories burned as being higher than actual when compared to a typically more reliable HRM, but can compute lower than actual if your body build is larger/greater than the average it was programmed for. Furthermore, the cardio machine's calculations will be "off" every time you remove your hands from the sensors for the duration your hands are not in contact.

If it is a machine that reads the transmission of the nearest HRM, it is not reporting the results from the HRM, but using the heart rate reading for its own pre programmed computations of calories burned.

If one only has the cardio machines' computations and not the benefit of a HRM, those calculations are better than having none, but that is not your situation; you have your HRM. If you don't trust your HRM. you should select a different one. If you wish to be on the "safe" side, record the lower reading and only eat those calories back, rather than the calories of the higher reading.

Beyond the point of your question, remember that all calorie computations, burned and consumed) are estimates only.

Calories burned is an estimate. Seemingly identical persons in age, gender, height and weight at the same incline and resistance will burn a different number of calories due to the differing muscle mass of the individuals. The difference is likely too small to make a difference, and yet the difference exists and calories burned remains an estimate.

Calories consumed is also an estimate. Obviously, food measured by volume has a different caloric content when compared pre-cooking volume to post-cooking volume. But also, the degree of cooking varies (i.e. steak cooked rare vs. steak cooked medium vs. steak cooked well-done). Not every fruit or vegetable has the same water content of their like kind -- not every mango, red delicious apple, artichoke, avocado or head of bibb lettuce has the same water/flesh content of every other mango, red delicious apple, artichoke, avocado or head of bibb lettuce. Once again, the difference likely too small to make a difference and yet the difference exists and we rely on databases that give us an estimate.

Good luck on your journey.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I'm usually on it for 45-55mins at a time.

Take the lower figure, then half it.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    What was your heart rate, speed, during those 45-55 mins,? what range, (Moderate/vigorous/very vigorous)?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    If I had to pick one I'd go with the lower number. Many HRMs have a serious flaw in their algorithm, they directly correlate heart rate to calories expended when such a relationship does not exist and will ascribe a higher expenditure to an unfit person (or someone who just has a higher heart rate) than a fitter person doing the same work.
  • dbrooks82
    dbrooks82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was actually just wondering this very thing. My FitBit is always a higher number, which I've always used cuz like others have stated it has more of my info. However I feel like I'm always getting very high numbers. Its awesome if they are accurate...but I'm worried they are too high and if I "eat them back" I won't make progress.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    dbrooks82 wrote: »
    I was actually just wondering this very thing. My FitBit is always a higher number, which I've always used cuz like others have stated it has more of my info. However I feel like I'm always getting very high numbers. Its awesome if they are accurate...but I'm worried they are too high and if I "eat them back" I won't make progress.

MFP is based off of eating a portion of them back. Not all of them.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If you had a lot of coffee that day, or were stressed or dehydrated, your HR will have been elevated, but not from exercise.
    dbrooks82 wrote: »

The only way to know is to try it. Keep good track of the food you eat (including how many calories) and the exercise you do (including how many calories), and your weight. The CI and CO predict how much weight you should lose and how quickly; the scale tells the truth about that, over time. If your CO estimates are too high, the scale will tell you. Give this method a few weeks because a lot of other things will affect your weight, but the trend will be clear.
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Go with HRM. it is probably better calibrated then the gymn's elyptical. Sometimes an elyptical or treadmill will have a very close reading to your personal HRM but I recommend the HRM reading for being a steady reading.