Weird Overnight Weight Gain....Help!

Hey Guys,

Back story first, I was 42 lbs heavier about 2.5 years ago, got a trainer, started training with him and lost a whole person and in the best shape of my life at 35yrs old. I am 113 lbs, 18% body fat, etc.....I have maintained that for almost a year now. In May, I left my trainer as I got burned out and started to just train on my own.
I took down the regimen and started swimming and just lightly training as I was also injured.
I was able to still maintain my body fat and my weight.
Until this past weekend, I worked out intensively for 2 days on Saturday and then yesterday. MY weight has jumped to 117lbs with 19.8% body fat!!!!!!!!!!! I started a new boxing class and finally was able to run 3 miles again yesterday without pain. So yeah, I haven't been this sore in a LONG TIME. I could understand if I had not been working out at all and had gained the weight and now it feels like I am starting over, but that's not the case, I never stopped working out.
I've read that this could be temporary as is a few days because my muscles are so sore and swollen, I don't know what else it could be. MY diet hasn't changed a bit either.
Any one have any ideas?

Replies

• leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Please read this and stop worrying! Everything is okay. Also, the body fat indicator on your scale (if that's what you're using) isn't accurate, so don't use that for measuring body fat.

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    leajas1 wrote: »
    Please read this and stop worrying! Everything is okay. Also, the body fat indicator on your scale (if that's what you're using) isn't accurate, so don't use that for measuring body fat.

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm

^^ great link
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Water weight from change up in exercise

Don't panic
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Like the other posters said it means nothing. I have a technical background and I have access to scales at work. Out of curiosity I've weighed myself different times of the day under different conditions and some days my weight has varied by as much as 2 to 5 pounds over the course of a day.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Water weight as already mentioned. Hell my weight fluctuates everyday, sometimes throughout the day. You cannot put on pounds of fat or muscle or lose pounds of fat or muscle in one day. If you ever fluctuate daily, it's always water. If you weight yourself every morning on an empty stomach and the AVERAGE weight fluctuates from week to week, then you're more than likely seeing fat loss or gain. Muscle gains or losses are even slower than that, especially if you've been training for years.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I am rather surprised that over the years you have never seen any scale fluctuation ..with exercise, hormones, sodium, carbs or anything

Nobody has a static weight ...we have a weight range of generally 5lbs or so around a core weight

My maintenance looks like a roller coaster

45w9buklr8o7.jpeg

seriously ...I had been working out minimally for a week and a half and I got back into it last week an scale shot up like three to five pounds and then this morning it was back down three pounds..

• OneWayOnlyCycles
    OneWayOnlyCycles Posts: 67 Member
    I joined this forum and my weight went up 3 pounds! Now it came down 5 pounds! Go figure. It is all temporary water weight.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    The other day I lost 4 lbs in under 2 hours! From all the water I sweat out during my long run, lol. Fluctuations like this are totally normal, as everyone else has pointed out, and this is most likely you retaining water from the change in your exercise routine.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Ugh I did a really tough workout on Tuesday and I have been soooo sore. I'm almost never sore after workouts anymore so it must've been a good workout lol. It's Friday now and I'm still sore. My weight has been up all week!! Logically I know it's water weight like others say but it still bothers me to see it.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    I avoid weighing when I've got DOMS for that very reason!
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    Ugh I did a really tough workout on Tuesday and I have been soooo sore. I'm almost never sore after workouts anymore so it must've been a good workout lol. It's Friday now and I'm still sore. My weight has been up all week!! Logically I know it's water weight like others say but it still bothers me to see it.

It only bothers you because you equate weight with fat. You need to change that thought pattern! :)
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    lol I gained 3lbs since Friday morning which is impossible. Think ill do my weigh in mid week each week in case I traveled over the weekend and had a hard time staying on target with macros.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    If I'm feeling really fat, I check the scale. Otherwise I use a tape measure - I put on an inch all round on holiday (approx 5lb) and its taking some shifting, but I know it will go if I stay motivated.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I am rather surprised that over the years you have never seen any scale fluctuation ..with exercise, hormones, sodium, carbs or anything

Nobody has a static weight ...we have a weight range of generally 5lbs or so around a core weight

My maintenance looks like a roller coaster

45w9buklr8o7.jpeg

As am I.