Almond milk Rice milk soy milk?

Options
Anybody tried rice milk or almond milk or soy milk? How does it taste in oatmeal or hot drinks like instant coffee? I have tries soy milk in hot tea before but that was a few years ago now

Replies

• meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Love almond milk! I use it in my protein shakes, overnight oats and even with cereal. It's not bad in coffee but know it isn't going give your coffee a creamy flavor. To me it tastes like skim milk in coffee; therefore, I still use half n half but limit myself to 2 tbsp a day. I don't eat soy products and I haven't tried rice milk so I can't comment on those.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Love almond milk! I use it in my protein shakes, overnight oats and even with cereal. It's not bad in coffee but know it isn't going give your coffee a creamy flavor. To me it tastes like skim milk in coffee; therefore, I still use half n half but limit myself to 2 tbsp a day. I don't eat soy products and I haven't tried rice milk so I can't comment on those.

This is all true for me too. Every detail lol.

It's kinda not great in coffee unfortunately.
  • justlosingtheweight
    justlosingtheweight Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Thanks :D yeah I was reading about non dairy in coffee isn't great I might just switch to black coffee, because I have to have my coffee milky but I can deal with black but I don't like just adding a splash of milk I don't know why lol :) do you just soak the oats in the milk in the fridge over night or can you heat it up? Thank you
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Thanks :D yeah I was reading about non dairy in coffee isn't great I might just switch to black coffee, because I have to have my coffee milky but I can deal with black but I don't like just adding a splash of milk I don't know why lol :) do you just soak the oats in the milk in the fridge over night or can you heat it up? Thank you

I'm the same. I'd rather just have the coffee black. I recently got a LITTLE used to some almond milk and zero calorie flavor drops in my coffee though. Just once in awhile.

I actually am anti-oatmeal as it doesn't work in my diet but I'm sure I'd like almond milk in my oats if I ate them. I never made overnight oats sorry.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk to cook my oatmeal and that's pretty much it.
  • meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I just soak my oats in it overnight and eat it cold. I'm not a big fan of warm oats...it reminds me of something totally disgusting. Lol
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I love soya milk in my porridge, hot or cold, it makes it lovely and creamy. It doesn't go well in tea or coffee so I have mine black, but have done for years anyway.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I vote cashew milk!
    Oh..hmm..not an option..hmm..well, in that case, almond milk isn't too bad either. I tend to use it in cereal and oatmeals, generally.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I keep almond milk around for cereal. Yes, it's a slightly different taste, but at 30 cals/cup, I'm OK with it.

I'll sometimes add chocolate syrup to it if I want to just drink a glass with a meal but that's about it.

I use half and half in my coffee - usually a tablespoon per cup and I do 2 cups. 40 cals isn't so bad :)

~Lyssa
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My breakfast is usually a cup of unsweetened soy milk plus a half cup coconut milk, flavored with sugar-free chocolate powder (I have a hearty snack mid-morning).

I like soy, coconut, and almond milk as beverages -- rice milk with some cinnamon and stevia makes a nice horchata. They vary in calories, to save on calories look for the unsweetened variety.

I use soy only because it may be good for my prostate cancer due to the phytoestrogen, which is why it's fallen out of favor. Before being diagnosed, I used almond milk instead. For someone who doesn't have a health reason to consume a lot of soy, I'd steer him/her to one of the other options.

I use cream in my coffee, by the way -- had a flat white with coconut milk a week ago and it wasn't bad. I think the slight coconut taste goes better with coffee.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I like the almond cashew or the almond coconut blends. I mostly use it in cereal or drink it with a sweet.

Plain almond milk and soy milk are gross, not too interested in rice.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Almond milk for sure. I'm not a big fan of soy and my doctor actually recommends against it too. We love almond.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    ive drank soy milk since i was a teenager and i love it

i also love almond milk too

but now i use cashew milk its sooo sooo good
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    ive drank soy milk since i was a teenager and i love it

i also love almond milk too

but now i use cashew milk its sooo sooo good

Cashew milk is amazing! My favorite too...
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I will have to try the cashew milk- I usually just buy the almond milk which is what i use- but ITA that i use half andhalf in my coffee- MUST have my coffee creamy- teehee
  • strawberryswirl01
    strawberryswirl01 Posts: 31 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I use soya milk. The only problem I have with it that putting anything powdery in it e.g. Hot chocolate, it's hard to mix and can be a bit lumpy. I love it with tea though, as it gives it a creamier taste. I thought I hated tea but it turns out it was cows milk that I hate.
    I found rice milk watery & lumpy.
    I'm not a fan of almond milk because it reminds me of marzipan and I don't like marzipan.

I don't like any type of milk by itself, I always need it in something.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What about oat milk, has anyone tried it?
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I like cashew milk the best. It tastes way better in coffee and tea than almond milk. Almond milk is disgusting in coffee.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What about oat milk, has anyone tried it?

I have tried one brand of commercial oat milk and I was not a fan -- too watery for me. I have made oat milk at home (soak steel cut oats for one hour, blend with maple syrup and vanilla extract) and I liked that much more.