Getting back into running

Options
Jleigh225
Jleigh225 Posts: 49 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
When I was in my teens I really enjoyed running outside and used to do 2-3 miles 5 days a week. Fast forward to a desk job and it's gotten a little harder to stick with it. I really want to get back but every time I start trying I get shin splints almost immediately, even with supportive running shoes I was personally fitted for and even if I follow couch25K plans that are for beginners. Has anyone truly gone from the couch to running again without injury? How were you able to do it? Do you have a workout routine or website with tips on how to get running again without injury?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Start even slower than C25K. Start with walking for half an hour, then add in short running intervals.
  • walpy27
    walpy27 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I used to get them awful within maybe 2 minutes of jogging.. I haven't had them in quite a while now though. Honestly just keep pushing through, and keep at it. It'll get better.

Stretch your calves before and after.. also dips with your heals on a curb or stair helps. I've heard picking a towel off the ground with your toes - but I never tried that.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 948 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    C25K was my path to running and I did not experience the issue you are having. Maybe you are running too fast for this stage. Start slow. There is plenty of time to increase your pace later.
  • cbro70
    cbro70 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have done it. I used to run a lot when I was in the Army but after I got out in 05 I got fat and lazy. I tried to get started last year but didn't stick with to long. Now since Feb I run 4 miles 3 times a week and the other days a lite jog or walk. There are a few things that might help you as they helped me get started and motivated. First check out this book "Ready to Run: Unlocking Your Potential to Run Naturally" by Kelly Starrett. It has a lot of great info on how to avoid all types of pains and injuries. Second book is called the ultimate treadmill workout, it will show you how to make those boring treadmill runs fun and help burn more calories. I wish you all the luck in getting back to running.
  • FarewellBlues
    FarewellBlues Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes! What TavistockToad said. Even though I've been fairly fit most of my life (owing to cycling, Taekwondo, swimming), I was terrible at running and I hated it. But I really wanted to improve both my endurance base for Taekwondo and more of the explosive power through sprinting. So I just started by walking (sometimes a LOT, I really like getting outside so I was doing 5-10 miles/day), and I did that for two weeks or so, then I'd add in jogging 30 seconds every few minutes, decrease the rest intervals after about a week, etc. After 8 weeks or so I could run a 7:30 mile, and could do 5 miles or so at more like a 10:00 pace. After 6 months I've improved those times considerably and I really look forward to runs; they're almost meditative.

Besides easing slowly back into it, the best advice I have is to run slower, and take shorter strides. Run slower because outside you'll always go faster than you think you're going: I'd get frustrated that I couldn't complete a mile at what felt like a good pace, but when I'd hop on a treadmill because of bad weather or whatever, I'd realize that "good pace" was more like a 6.5 min mile. Too fast for me! Also keeping your strides shorter and your feet underneath you rather than reaching way out decreases the strain on your shins and ankles. Watch videos of sprinters versus marathon runners -- aim more for the marathon runner form, at least at the beginning, until you feel like doing sprints or other speed work.

Good luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any problems and didn't start running until I was 45 after many years of being sedentary. I did suffer shin splints in my teens but it was from gymnastics, not running. I was doing too much on unpadded flooring in bare feet. The only time it got better was in the off-season.

What are you running on? I've heard that running on a treadmill can cause shin splints if you aren't raising the incline a bit. You should do that anyway, to better simulate running on the road. If you're running outside, are you running on concrete? Try running on a softer surface, even asphalt is better.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I restarted with Personal Running Trainer 4 weeks to a mile. Amazon has it. Like C25K, only shorter and slower and gets you to where 8 weeks to 5K starts.

Shins splints haven't been a problem for me once I realized that short strides were the answer. Your foot should not extend much past you in front. Shorten your steps, increase you cadence and see how that works.
  • Haleymfp
    Haleymfp Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just started running the other day. I actually found a monthly 'walking to running' plan on Pinterest. It's been working good for me. Nothing to intense and work your way up
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Run slower because outside you'll always go faster than you think you're going:
    You will want a GPS watch (Garmin) if you stick with running.

SueInAz wrote: »
    I've heard that running on a treadmill can cause shin splints if you aren't raising the incline a bit. You should do that anyway, to better simulate running on the road.
    I’ve been running on a TM for years, always at a zero incline. No trouble going back and forth from inside to outside.

• SueInAz
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    Run slower because outside you'll always go faster than you think you're going:
    You will want a GPS watch (Garmin) if you stick with running.

SueInAz wrote: »
    I've heard that running on a treadmill can cause shin splints if you aren't raising the incline a bit. You should do that anyway, to better simulate running on the road.
    I’ve been running on a TM for years, always at a zero incline. No trouble going back and forth from inside to outside.

That's probably because you're going back and forth. I don't have issues, either, but I run on the treadmill only occasionally. The issue is for the people who run on the treadmill exclusively. They decide to hit the road to run a race or something and have a very tough time. The mechanics are simply different. On a treadmill you're moving your legs to keep up with a moving belt going in the opposite direction. On the road, you're propelling yourself forward on an unmoving surface. Adding the incline helps to simulate the resistance of pushing off the road as well as helping to prevent shin splints caused by the different mechanics of running on the treadmill.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Jleigh225 wrote: »
    Has anyone truly gone from the couch to running again without injury? How were you able to do it? Do you have a workout routine or website with tips on how to get running again without injury?

I did. I would run mostly flat areas with little to no hills. If there were hills they were minor.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Start even slower than C25K. Start with walking for half an hour, then add in short running intervals.

^^^^ This

I was in my early 50s (after being sedentary for many years) when I started running again. I walked (a lot) and then started with 1 min "running" (more like a slow shuffle) followed by 9 min walking (repeated 3 or more times), then after a couple of weeks 2min running followed by 8 min walking etc etc until I could run 10 minutes continuously with a 1 min walking break.

I've since gone on to running half-marathons and Olympic distance duathlons.

The key is to start slow and be consistent. Most running injuries are trying to do too much, too soon, too fast.

Be patient with yourself, Rome wasn't built in a day.

• VeganAddict83
    VeganAddict83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What helped me was to learn proper running form. We aren't supposed to land on our heels when we run, we are supposed to land mid-foot. Check out some YouTube videos that show the correct way to run and you can avoid shin splints, knee, hip, and back pain. Good luck! :)
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Jleigh225 wrote: »
    ... every time I start trying I get shin splints almost immediately...

I've just started running a couple of weeks back, and find if I run on paved/hard surfaces I also get shin splints. However, running on grass in the park I have no issue whatsoever - even where the grass is short and fairly hard underfoot. Have you tried different surfaces?

• SueInAz
    Options
    What helped me was to learn proper running form. We aren't supposed to land on our heels when we run, we are supposed to land mid-foot. Check out some YouTube videos that show the correct way to run and you can avoid shin splints, knee, hip, and back pain. Good luck! :)
    Not true. Where your foot hits the ground in relation to your center of gravity is much more important than which part of your foot hits the ground first. It's all in what is comfortable to you as long as you are wearing the right shoes and have the right form. A cadence of around 180 steps per minute can help to ensure you aren't over-striding and help to prevent injury.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

As someone that is learning the hard way that my running form was horrid, this is really important as you continue. They say that your cadence should be 180 steps per minute to help alleviate heel striking, which usually means you are over-striding. The heel-strike itself isn't horrible unless it causes pain (it does in my case with distances of 5+). I'm basically side-lined from a knee injury and am just learning this now from a physical therapist.

• gorple76
    gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Run short quick strides (180 as people say). Hit the trails - hills are your friend, the variation in terrain stops you impacting the same way each time your feet land and the softer ground is ... Well, softer. You will feel slower and won't get as far at first, but once you are up to better distances, you'll feel like you're flying along when you return to smoother terrain.
  • lilheidi76
    lilheidi76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had shin splits it took me ages to recover, the Physio thought I might of actually had little hair line fractures. I got them from jumping in to quickly and pushing to hard when I first started running and not building up slowly. The treadmill for me at the time did contribute. I had to rest for an extended period and instead focused on exercise that was gentle on my shins.
    After the period of rest I restarted but really took the time to build myself up. I often walked longer to start with that what most of the apps say to make sure I was warmed up before I slowly added short intervals but didn't push to hard just gently built myself up again and have since had no trouble.
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    I just finished a 9 week c25k - never made it through before, usually due to shin splints. I think what helped this time the most was taking it slowly - I mean, it was barely a run in the beginning. And I second the short strides that were mentioned above, as well.
  • marisatimmins
    marisatimmins Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for good running shoes? I had terrible knee and shin splint issues and when I went to a running store and was fitted for shoes, it all went away.