Disappointed

Can someone please advise me on how I can lose inches off my waist. I'm an older lady, 5'4 and I started my weight loss journey July 2015. I was 197lbs last year and now I'm 155lbs. My goal is 140lbs. I've lost all the weight from my backside, legs, thighs and gone down 2 cup sizes, but my waist has remained exactly the same at 33inches:( I feel so self conscious because everytime I accidently look in a mirror all I see is slim legs and bum then a massive spare tyre. I feel out of proportion and weird. My family keep saying how well I've done and are very encouraging but I'm secretly feeling depressed and hating the way I look. Can someone please give me some tips on how I can flatten my stomach. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• walpy27
    walpy27 Posts: 34 Member
    Core strength training? But I've heard (many times) that's generally the last area people lose, I don't know from experience... yet :)
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    I have tge same issue and sadly there isn't a way to spot reduce.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    You can't spot reduce. Continue eating in a deficit and doing a good strength/resistance training program, and the fat will come off from all over.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Have you measured yourself? Take a tape and measure chest, waist, hips, thigh and calf. Take the same measurements in a month and see how you've done.
    Personally, I find in any given month I lose either weight or inches. It's completely unscientific, but that's just what it is.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Rather than losing more you may want to look at recomposition. I'm told that strength training helps with this, and I've seen it in the past to a modest extent.
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Same problem here! :( my personal trainer has assured me that it will come off but it will be the last thing to go. The first places I put on weight way back when, was my tummy, then my arms, then my face, then my legs and bum. I have lost the weight in the reverse order eg-my bum and legs went first, then my face slimmed down. My arms have started looking leaner recently so I guess my waist is next-fingers crossed!! I have started doing lots of core exercises so when it does come off I'm hoping it will reveal the abs I've been working on :) don't give up!! And feel free to add me if you want to share 'belly progress'! X
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    You can't spot reduce, keep lifting and doing cardio.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    My first impulse was to say 'continue to lose weight and it will come off' but after losing 40 pounds I'm surprised you didn't lose any of those 33 inches.

I've been unhappy about my stomach lately due to my very large fibroids, but pictures and measurements show that it is actually smaller than previous benchmarks.

I see your age is 58 - are you post-menopause?
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    It will get smaller. Keep at it. I'd suggest some planks and other core exercises to tone up the muscles under there as well.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Tighten stomach muscles by doing planks, and continue to lose fat to reach your goal. Part of having a belly that sticks out can be weak stomach muscles that don't hold your middle in well; excess fat on top of the muscle is the other part. It's been a problem for me too, especially after my hysterectomy. Once I started doing planks regularly I got my belly to look much better.
  • catgil554
    catgil554 Posts: 12 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Tighten stomach muscles by doing planks, and continue to lose fat to reach your goal. Part of having a belly that sticks out can be weak stomach muscles that don't hold your middle in well; excess fat on top of the muscle is the other part. It's been a problem for me too, especially after my hysterectomy. Once I started doing planks regularly I got my belly to look much better.

Thanks for that. Makes sense! Tell me what are planks?

• catgil554
    pdm3547 wrote: »
    Have you measured yourself? Take a tape and measure chest, waist, hips, thigh and calf. Take the same measurements in a month and see how you've done.
    Personally, I find in any given month I lose either weight or inches. It's completely unscientific, but that's just what it is.

Unfortunately I measured myself in July 2015 and my waist was 33ins exactly the same today. I've lost inches from everywhere else. I think I look an odd shape now and I've actually bought a cardigan a size larger so I can cover it up:(
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    We all have our trouble areas! Our bodies are genetically predisposed to store fat in specific places. My me, it's the hips and thighs, for you, the stomach. My husband is built like you, long thin legs, round belly. All you can do is continue to lower your body fat percentage and your middle will eventually shrink.

I'd highly suggest weight lifting to help with that. Not only will it help you lower your body fat percentage but you can build some muscle in your legs which will help you look better proportioned.
  • catgil554
    edited August 2016
    nickisa28 wrote: »
    Same problem here! :( my personal trainer has assured me that it will come off but it will be the last thing to go. The first places I put on weight way back when, was my tummy, then my arms, then my face, then my legs and bum. I have lost the weight in the reverse order eg-my bum and legs went first, then my face slimmed down. My arms have started looking leaner recently so I guess my waist is next-fingers crossed!! I have started doing lots of core exercises so when it does come off I'm hoping it will reveal the abs I've been working on :) don't give up!! And feel free to add me if you want to share 'belly progress'! X

What are core exercises? The only exercise I do is walking. I work in an office so I'm sat most of the day. Are there any exercises I can do at home?

Edit.... sorry I don't know how to add people!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    I agree with the trainer - it will be the last thing to go. Keep it up!
  • Bee_Le
    Bee_Le Posts: 48 Member
    You're doing great. Just keep it up. Stubborn stomach is always the last to go >_< Only a few pounds left to go!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
  • Older ladies have interesting relationships with belly fat because of hormone and menopause fun. Keep at your deficit but it's just going to be the last thing to go.

http://www.startribune.com/mayo-clinic-study-finds-explanation-for-postmenopausal-belly-fat/205701571/
  • catgil554
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My first impulse was to say 'continue to lose weight and it will come off' but after losing 40 pounds I'm surprised you didn't lose any of those 33 inches.

I've been unhappy about my stomach lately due to my very large fibroids, but pictures and measurements show that it is actually smaller than previous benchmarks.

I see your age is 58 - are you post-menopause?

I will continue to try and lose another stone as my doctor tell me I'm still overweight. I'm 5'4 so the top weight I should be is 10st. I use HRT patches for my symptoms so hot flushes are not too bad. It's the sleepless nights, laying in bed overthinking things that depresses me the most. I feel like a zombie most days:(
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »

@catgil554 - this ^ says to hold plank for 3-5 breaths, which may be too long for you if you breath slowly. Just do what you can with the goal of increasing duration over time.

Also, the variation with your elbows may look easier, but for me it is not.