Disappointed

Options
2»

Replies

• auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    All the above is good advice

One thing I might say is if you drink a lot of pop (diet or regular) or anything carbonated, you might consider cutting it out. I know if I drink even one pop all the carbonation from it adds a good 2-3 inches to my belly/waist area.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi there, as mentioned, you can't reduce fat from specific areas of your body, but you can tone your muscles so you look a lot better! There was an article recently about it in one of our papers: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jul/25/whats-the-best-way-to-lose-abdominal-fat

I found a few gentle core strength exercises (with a video demonstrating) here: breakingmuscle.com/bodyweight/5-fundamental-core-and-abdominal-exercises-for-beginners

If you're sitting and walking but not doing anything else, you'll need to start gently but you can make a big difference. I'd say a plank was was too hard for an absolute beginner but there are modified versions you can try.

Also, I love yoga and pilates classes - they're really good for core strength and a good teacher will train you in the movements and give you options to go at your own pace.

Your waist measurement is a really important health indicator so it's worth trying to get it down. Good luck and keep at it!
  • catgil554
    catgil554 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »

@catgil554 - this ^ says to hold plank for 3-5 breaths, which may be too long for you if you breath slowly. Just do what you can with the goal of increasing duration over time.

Also, the variation with your elbows may look easier, but for me it is not.

I'll give it a go...thanks
  • catgil554
    Options
    All the above is good advice

One thing I might say is if you drink a lot of pop (diet or regular) or anything carbonated, you might consider cutting it out. I know if I drink even one pop all the carbonation from it adds a good 2-3 inches to my belly/waist area.

I've never been a pop drinker. Just still water or tea with skimmed milk and no sugar. I come from a slim family and I never realised I was overweight...silly as that may seem, I just never saw it. I was too busy getting on with life so it came as a big shock when the doctor told me I was obese. I was cross with the kids for not telling me, cross with myself for not realising and cross with my friends! In my world food has never been important. I hate supermarkets, loath shopping and I've always spent as little time in the kitchen as possible, much prefering to spend time walking in the country or down the seafront. When my last child moved out all I bought was microwave frozen meals. Five mins in the microwave and I was done. That suited me. I guess thats what piled on the lbs.
  • catgil554
    Options
    Hi there, as mentioned, you can't reduce fat from specific areas of your body, but you can tone your muscles so you look a lot better! There was an article recently about it in one of our papers: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jul/25/whats-the-best-way-to-lose-abdominal-fat

I found a few gentle core strength exercises (with a video demonstrating) here: breakingmuscle.com/bodyweight/5-fundamental-core-and-abdominal-exercises-for-beginners

If you're sitting and walking but not doing anything else, you'll need to start gently but you can make a big difference. I'd say a plank was was too hard for an absolute beginner but there are modified versions you can try.

Also, I love yoga and pilates classes - they're really good for core strength and a good teacher will train you in the movements and give you options to go at your own pace.

Your waist measurement is a really important health indicator so it's worth trying to get it down. Good luck and keep at it!

I've bookmarked those pages and will read when I've more time. Yep starting gently sounds good. I'm still very supple because I'm double jointed so bending and stretching comes easily to me!!!
  • melmawazini766
    melmawazini766 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Some people store fat in the abdominal area, others store it in the thigh/ butt area. So I'm guessing you are the first type?
    Alright, here are two things you can do:
    - Do abs exercises
    These are SUPER effective and they require 0 equipment. You can find loads of them on YouTube. My personal favourites workout channels are fitness blender, blogilates and XHIT.
    - Keep going, it takes time. When the abdominal area is the first place for you to see getting fat when you gain weight, it means that it may be the last for you to see changes after losing some weight. So just keep going, enjoy the progress, and hopefully once you reach your goal everything will be fine.

Hope I helped:)
  • catgil554
    Options
    Some people store fat in the abdominal area, others store it in the thigh/ butt area. So I'm guessing you are the first type?
    Alright, here are two things you can do:
    - Do abs exercises
    These are SUPER effective and they require 0 equipment. You can find loads of them on YouTube. My personal favourites workout channels are fitness blender, blogilates and XHIT.
    - Keep going, it takes time. When the abdominal area is the first place for you to see getting fat when you gain weight, it means that it may be the last for you to see changes after losing some weight. So just keep going, enjoy the progress, and hopefully once you reach your goal everything will be fine.

Hope I helped:)

Thank you. I needed encouragement x
  • sky_northern
    sky_northern Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    catgil554 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My first impulse was to say 'continue to lose weight and it will come off' but after losing 40 pounds I'm surprised you didn't lose any of those 33 inches.

I've been unhappy about my stomach lately due to my very large fibroids, but pictures and measurements show that it is actually smaller than previous benchmarks.

I see your age is 58 - are you post-menopause?

I will continue to try and lose another stone as my doctor tell me I'm still overweight. I'm 5'4 so the top weight I should be is 10st. I use HRT patches for my symptoms so hot flushes are not too bad. It's the sleepless nights, laying in bed overthinking things that depresses me the most. I feel like a zombie most days:(

The lack of sleep is not good, and will actually work against your weight loss efforts. Can you talk to your doctor about you insomnia? There may be something that can help. (I have a friend that swears by melatonin, but I don't have sleep issues so don't know anything so talk to your doctor about options.)
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep comes with the beautiful menopause....I hate it. Not sure if you have it where you are at, but see if you can find a sleep aid by the name of Midnight. It's all natural and contains melatonin, chamomile, Lavender, and one other I can't remember off the top of my head. I could take two unisom and still be awake, but these put me out and I sleep really well.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Can someone please advise me on how I can lose inches off my waist. I'm an older lady, 5'4 and I started my weight loss journey July 2015. I was 197lbs last year and now I'm 155lbs. My goal is 140lbs. I've lost all the weight from my backside, legs, thighs and gone down 2 cup sizes, but my waist has remained exactly the same at 33inches:( I feel so self conscious because everytime I accidently look in a mirror all I see is slim legs and bum then a massive spare tyre. I feel out of proportion and weird. My family keep saying how well I've done and are very encouraging but I'm secretly feeling depressed and hating the way I look. Can someone please give me some tips on how I can flatten my stomach. Thanks for reading!

Your post really caught my eye. I am 5'4", 61 years old, started my weight loss in April 2016. I began at 182 lbs, am at 158 lbs now and my goal is 145 lbs. So we are very similar. I have lost inches all over - but not one iota in my bust!! I started at 38D and I'm still a 38D - albeit my bras are fitting much better and my boobs look perkier...but I guess my point is that I felt much better reading your post as it made me realize my frustrations are not unique. I think everyone has this one stubborn spot that either refuses to budge or has a mind of its own and takes its sweet old time shrinking...keep plugging away, and I will too :)
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Can someone please advise me on how I can lose inches off my waist. I'm an older lady, 5'4 and I started my weight loss journey July 2015. I was 197lbs last year and now I'm 155lbs. My goal is 140lbs. I've lost all the weight from my backside, legs, thighs and gone down 2 cup sizes, but my waist has remained exactly the same at 33inches:( I feel so self conscious because everytime I accidently look in a mirror all I see is slim legs and bum then a massive spare tyre. I feel out of proportion and weird. My family keep saying how well I've done and are very encouraging but I'm secretly feeling depressed and hating the way I look. Can someone please give me some tips on how I can flatten my stomach. Thanks for reading!

You're doing better than me. Are you sure there's no problem wit your abdominal muscles or general core strength? (There is for me, which means I can have a BMI of 22 and still be built like a deflated weeble)
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Older ladies have interesting relationships with belly fat because of hormone and menopause fun. Keep at your deficit but it's just going to be the last thing to go.

http://www.startribune.com/mayo-clinic-study-finds-explanation-for-postmenopausal-belly-fat/205701571/

The waist she had when she was 50? I'm not even there yet and mine has gone AWOL. My mum was done by 40, mind, so I know I have potentially months rather than years to go.

Yea, my legs are skinnier thsn ever!