6 small meals- show me yours!

Options
I could use some help here.

I'm returning to MFP after a break in which I've gained a substantial amount of weight. Checked things out medically and thought I had early menopause but turns out I have hypothyroidism for which I'm now getting treatment. Anyway, I do cardio 3-4 days per week and this summer added weight training and working out with a personal trainer. It's clear my nutrition is the issue because the scale isn't moving though I've been tracking though I know I need to improve this too including weighing food.

I'm going to overhaul my normal eating and go with 6 small meals per day and see if that revs things up, in addition to tracking and weighing/ measuring.

If you do 6 small meals a day, can you show me a sample of a typical day? I'd really appreciate it!Thanks in advance-

Replies

• melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Friend me, you can look through my diary. Actually, it's public, look at it whenever you want.
  • jbrady574
    jbrady574 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly how's you I'm in UK in liverpool
  • melanova90
    melanova90 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's been hard for me to transition from a couple/few larger meals to five or six smaller ones, so I'm still pretty lazy about "cooking" said meals... Lol

I usually go for a carb and a protein, so I'll do a cup of plain Greek yogurt, half cup of fruit, quarter cup of nuts, and a half tablespoon of honey on top. Or I'll go for two scrambled eggs and toast nearly every morning, with a cup of (mostly black) coffee/tea or orange juice.

I like salad for lunches when it's hot, so I'll do a cup of dark, leafy greens and throw on carrots, cucumber, craisins, walnuts, feta cheese, and a light vinaigrette. If I'm really hungry I'll throw a little chicken in there, too. Other times I'll pack a sandwich on whole grain bread (Eureka's Sweet Baby Grains is my favorite right now, and the smaller bread makes it easier to manage portions), with either tuna or turkey and a slice of cheese, and usually some veggies. I love cottage cheese and fruit, and I'll occasionally splurge on a serving of crackers and cheese >.< if I'm packing a snack I'll do a granola/nut mix and pack a quarter cup of that in a bag. Or I'll pack a sliced apple and a serving of cheddar or brie.

For dinner I do a lot of rice/pasta and protein combos, so stir fry with chicken/tofu and rice (easy in the sauces but heavy on the Thai chili lol), pasta and steamed whatever and baked chicken, sometimes I get lazy and make pasta, sausage, and frozen peas in the same pot!

For after-dinner snacks I like cereal and milk, or I'll splurge and have a dark chocolate brownie or cookie with milk. I like to drink tea and milk with a cookie sometimes, too.

Also, I make sure to drink at least 8 cups of water a day... That really helps curb my hunger for larger meals and I feel better :) and sleeping well at night (7-7 1/2 hours a night usually) helps curb hunger, too, so I find myself overeating less. And lastly, enjoy what you eat! I find if I'm more mindful when I eat, I'll eat less in a single sitting.

Hope this helps you get started :)
  • mjsthing
    mjsthing Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    melanova90 wrote: »
    It's been hard for me to transition from a couple/few larger meals to five or six smaller ones, so I'm still pretty lazy about "cooking" said meals... Lol

I usually go for a carb and a protein, so I'll do a cup of plain Greek yogurt, half cup of fruit, quarter cup of nuts, and a half tablespoon of honey on top. Or I'll go for two scrambled eggs and toast nearly every morning, with a cup of (mostly black) coffee/tea or orange juice.

I like salad for lunches when it's hot, so I'll do a cup of dark, leafy greens and throw on carrots, cucumber, craisins, walnuts, feta cheese, and a light vinaigrette. If I'm really hungry I'll throw a little chicken in there, too. Other times I'll pack a sandwich on whole grain bread (Eureka's Sweet Baby Grains is my favorite right now, and the smaller bread makes it easier to manage portions), with either tuna or turkey and a slice of cheese, and usually some veggies. I love cottage cheese and fruit, and I'll occasionally splurge on a serving of crackers and cheese >.< if I'm packing a snack I'll do a granola/nut mix and pack a quarter cup of that in a bag. Or I'll pack a sliced apple and a serving of cheddar or brie.

For dinner I do a lot of rice/pasta and protein combos, so stir fry with chicken/tofu and rice (easy in the sauces but heavy on the Thai chili lol), pasta and steamed whatever and baked chicken, sometimes I get lazy and make pasta, sausage, and frozen peas in the same pot!

For after-dinner snacks I like cereal and milk, or I'll splurge and have a dark chocolate brownie or cookie with milk. I like to drink tea and milk with a cookie sometimes, too.

Also, I make sure to drink at least 8 cups of water a day... That really helps curb my hunger for larger meals and I feel better :) and sleeping well at night (7-7 1/2 hours a night usually) helps curb hunger, too, so I find myself overeating less. And lastly, enjoy what you eat! I find if I'm more mindful when I eat, I'll eat less in a single sitting.

Hope this helps you get started :)

Extremely good selection of small, tasty, healthy meals.... And now you're making mefeel hungry!