Support for New or Slow Joggers/Runners

Options
I see many people express anxiety over how slow they jog/run compared to other people. In a world where many people run in the gym next to lots of other people running, it's easy to get caught up in the game of comparing yourself to the others. Some people will wonder if they're really *running* or if they're only jogging. Unfortunately, sometimes experienced and/or faster runners will sometimes discourage new/slower runners by suggesting they're not really running. This is unfortunate. It doesn't matter how fast you're going. As long as you're getting out there and pushing yourself a little beyond your normal comfort zone, you should be proud. It takes time to build up a healthy/strong cardio-respiratory system. Eventually you'll realize that you can run a little faster or a little longer (or both!) and slowly but surely you'll see progress.

A good "test" is the talking test. "Passing the talk test means that you should be able to speak in complete sentences while you’re running at a moderate training level. If you can only offer one-word grunts in response to another runner’s questions, then you’re going too fast for how hard you should be running during the first few months of your running program." (On the other end, if you can speak entire songs/essays worth without having to catch your breath, then you're could probably push yourself a little harder!!)
quote from: http://jogging-running-guide-tips.blogspot.com/2008/03/talk-test-know-your-running-progress.html

Finally - this is a passage from "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Running, 3rd Edition" - discussing Running vs. Jogging. I think it says what needs to be said on the topic perfectly:
The debates about who’s a jogger and who’s a runner are endless and fierce, but they’re also pointless. Usually, the distinction is made in a condescending way, with running taken to be superior to jogging. Some runners like to puff themselves up by noting others’ speed and saying, “Oh, he’s just jogging.” Well, we’re all slower than someone else.

(cut out a bunch of discussion about perceived differences between running and jogging)

Okay, so what is the difference? There isn’t any. Jogging, running—call it what you want. You’ll know when you’re doing more than walking. Why have I spent all this time making this point? Because it’s easy for beginning runners to feel that what they’re doing isn’t important. Often, the people who make them feel that way the most are veteran runners, who forget what it’s like to take those first tentative steps. Their attitude can cause a lot of beginners to feel that there’s some standard they have to measure up to. There isn’t; the only one that matters is your own satisfaction.

Replies

• 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I am definitely a SLOW runner (like 5.5 on the treadmill is comfy for me) and I'm getting ready for my third Iron Girl at the end of August. UGH, I HATE the running portion of it! Good reminder not to compare myself to the speed racers out there.:smile:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I am definitely a SLOW runner (like 5.5 on the treadmill is comfy for me) and I'm getting ready for my third Iron Girl at the end of August. UGH, I HATE the running portion of it! Good reminder not to compare myself to the speed racers out there.:smile:

You can consider yourself speedy :) I run at about 5.0-5.3 TOPS.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting! I recently was on vacation at the Jersey Shore (Yes, Normal People do go there) & wasn't able to rent a bicycle OR go to the outdoor yoga class because it was raining during class time. So - I took my 54 yr old body & FORCED it to run for 3 days in a row. I was shocked I was able to do it without too much pain for 50 minutes. But - because of 54 yr old KNEES, I needed to make sure to keep a very slow pace. I had to really scold myself though when elderly people were passing me on the boardwalk.... Dang! It was just my EGO, but still.... :frown:
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I'm super slow and I know it. In 5 minutes, I can only get around the track maybe 1.5 times. I've never been concerned about it (well, "never" as in the past 5 weeks since I started c25k), because I know I'll eventually get faster. The main thing is that I'm out there trying. Speed will come later. My favorite running quote is "no matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch". So as long as I'm shuffling along, I'm doing fine. Thanks again!
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    You guys make me feel like a turtle lol. My best is 13 minutes at 3.5mph on the treadmill. My neighbor and I call it the wog. It's slow but when I try to up it to 4mph I simply can't keep up.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    ^^ LOL, you and me both. Until last night, I had never run on a treadmill, so had no idea how fast I was going. Let's just say it's not very fast :laugh: . BUT, I can do more of it before I have to take a breather than I used to. And I can go further before I collapse in exhaustion. So I'm improving.

Thanks for the post, Trent!
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Good post! I don't think anyone should get looked down on for how fast they are running! No matter how fast or how slow, they are doing a lot better for their health than someone sitting on a couch or sitting at a computer! Speed comes with time and effort!
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    WONDERFUL post! I have so little use for elitist condescension in any sport or physical endeavor. [I think this sort of thing is also prevalent in certain cycling communities.] Everybody is unique, and no one who is out there busting their tails should ever worry or compare themselves to anyone. Take no guff. Be proud of who you are and what you are doing. If anyone DOES want to compare guts and intestinal fortitude, I personally think it takes more bravery to get out there and do it in the beginning than it does for many of the so called higher performers. Just sayin.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Great info, thanks. I have been running since January and decided very early on that I wasn't going to get stressed about speed.
    I run outside so I didn't know how fast/slow I'm going, though now I use Runkeeper that gives me a better idea. Except that when I try to convert pace in km to speed in miles, it just makes my brain hurt. So, I've decided to just pick a pace that works for me and try to increase it gradually.
    At the moment though, I think it is more important to increase my distance/endurance in order to train for a 12k in August.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bump. I just started the C25K with my hubby and need all the support I can get.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Great thread topic!

I like to jog outside, but the first few times I was a little self-conscious about my snail-y pace.
    But then I remembered that snail-y is better than nothing. If you don't do anything, you won't improve anything!

Though I jog on the slow side still, I have since run a 4-miler and two 10K All-trail runs! During that first week of
    Couch to 5K, I would have never imagined that I would get hooked. Couch to 5K is really the 'gateway drug' to running! :laugh:

I am really just competing against myself, so I don't worry about so much about the others anymore...
  • greatdaneaddict
    greatdaneaddict Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Super slow runner (JOGGER) here and am totally ok with it. I can only run a mile in about 12 minutes. Better than sitting on the couch being inactive! I am proud of myself for every step I take during each run. I do run outdoors, so I bet I could run slightly faster on a treadmill, but don't have access to one, so I hit the pavement and do what I can!
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am slow but I am really slow outside in the heat. :ohwell: Thanks for the info!

Jen
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC POST!!

I am slower than all the people who posted their times and you know what? I'm ok with that. Six months ago I couldn't jog to the end of the block. Today I jogged (wogged really) for almost 50 min.

That's progress in my book! :)
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    Great post!! Sometimes I get down on myself about not going fast enough, but everything everyone said here is so true, what we're doing for ourselves is more than the person sitting on the couch!

I really enjoy running, for the summer and fall I'm running outside and it's so much harder than when I was inside on the treadmill. But it's a good challenge for me, even if I am slower than I was on the TM.
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are is that the longer it takes you to get there...then the longer you are working out!! I am also slower (12.0 - 13.0 min mile). I finally got over the speed aspect...I've done some runs and had a great time, while all the time knowing that I would eventually improve. I have enjoyed seeing the folks that do these runs of all ages, body type, etc...So because I am having fun while improving myself, I am not worried about my speed anymore. In addition, I have met some awesome people to work out with, including my daughter...I want her to also know it doesn't matter! Just do it!

Thanks for posting...great info!
  • Jenna1971
    Jenna1971 Posts: 28
    Options
    Awesome topic! I am one of those slow runners! After being unactive for much of my life, I decided to take up running. I am about 4 months into this - and I actually like it.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Today was the first time ever in my life that I ran half a mile without stopping. It took me a full 8 minutes, but I was more concerned with how far I could go rather than how fast. I know I'm extra slow, and I don't care. Speed will come later; I'm just proud that I could go as far as I did, no matter how long it took to get there.
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you all!! I am 5ft 2.7" so I have little legs to begin with!! I am humping around extra weight at the moment and I feel that the fact I am doing it at all is more important. Once I have lost more weight and got my fitness up to a level I am happy with, then I probably will want to work on speed just because I'd like to probably complete 5k in x amount of minutes or something but we will see! For now I'm happy doing what I'm doing and so should everyone else out there doing it!!