New to MFP from Milwaukee/Chicago area...

Options
Hello everyone!

I've only been using MFP for the past 2 days but I feel like this is going to be one of the more useful tools I've tried.

I have struggled with my weight for a very long time. I can remember being in grade school and having a sleepover at my friend's house. She had bunk beds and she told me that I had to sleep on the bottom and she would sleep on the top bunk because I was fat and she was skinny. That is the very first time I remember feeling self concious. The sad part is I have never been extremely obese. But I have also never been in the shape that I have always wanted to be.

I've done the fad diets... slim fast... only oranges... the sacred heart soup diet... juice cleanse... etc... Obviously none of it REALLY worked.

Then I read a book called Body for Life and realized that I needed to make the concious decision to make a life change. I had quit smoking a few times in the past but this time I was able to just stop without the normal struggle. it was then that I knew I was ready to make an honest change.

I started a Couch to 5K program last week and before that I had been jogging every morning for several weeks. I'm finally starting to feel a change MENTALLY. So I'm hoping I'm there... starting my journey for REAL this time.

Replies

• mandalyn23
    mandalyn23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and good luck on your journey! One thing I have learned so far that I would like to share is to not get discouraged. It is not about the scale it is about your energy, being healthy, and taking care of your body. Over time the scale will catch up...but don't let it dictate how you feel ... Just push through :)

I hope you love MFP as much as I have!
  • lena0919
    lena0919 Posts: 12
    Options
    Welcome! I am still getting the hang as well, but I know that MFP is what is helping me each day! Hope its the same for you. Sending you a friend request.
  • Carflea
    Carflea Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'll have to read that book. Welcome!
  • hadl0032
    hadl0032 Posts: 117
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! All I have to say is that you are going to love it! I haven't met one person thus far who hasn't.
    Best of luck to you on your journey! I am from the Twin Cities, feel free to add me if you like!

GOOD LUCK! =)
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm from the southwest burbs of Chicago!