Did I not go over my carbs? Does fiber not count?

Options
According to my nutrition profile after dinner I went over my carbs by 33 grams but I've now consumed a total of 59 grams of fiber. Do those carbs from fiber not count? Does this mean I can eat 26 more carbs? How about the calories? Because carbs have calories but if certain ones don't count does that mean those calories didn't count? Sorry for all the questions. And if anyone is wondering why my fiber is so high, well I don't do it on purpose. I'm a vegetarian so I kinda have a thing for rice and beans lol. And veggies.

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a low carb vegetarian diet?

And all calories count
  • Relaxingmind
    Relaxingmind Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    Are you eating a low carb vegetarian diet?

And all calories count

Not a low carb diet but not trying to go overboard with them either.
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    fiber carbs don't count if you're counting carbs.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Everything organic has calories. Some calories are more digestible than others. Wood is organic and has calories; but if you eat wood pulp you won't absorb them because you're not a termite (they have special bacteria in their gut). In fact, there are several breads on the market that use wood pulp for fiber. Soluble fibers like those found in oatmeal and beans will deliver more calories into your system than non-soluble fibers. That's why some people (myself included) don't count non-soluble fiber toward carbs or calories. With something like beans, you have both soluble and non-soluble fiber in the food so at least part of the calories in the soluble fiber count toward your total calories.

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/10/16/garden/wood-pulp-as-fiber-in-bread.html
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-do-food-manufacturers/
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    According to my nutrition profile after dinner I went over my carbs by 33 grams but I've now consumed a total of 59 grams of fiber. Do those carbs from fiber not count? Does this mean I can eat 26 more carbs? How about the calories? Because carbs have calories but if certain ones don't count does that mean those calories didn't count? Sorry for all the questions. And if anyone is wondering why my fiber is so high, well I don't do it on purpose. I'm a vegetarian so I kinda have a thing for rice and beans lol. And veggies.

As to whether or not fiber counts towards carbs: that depends on why you're tracking carbs to begin with.

I firmly, firmly believe you should not set any diet rules unless you have a "why" behind them - what benefit are you hoping to gain by setting a limit on carbs? It has to be some real-world goal.

Once you have an answer to that, the next question to ask yourself - does eating fiber make it harder to achieve that real-world goal? If yes, then count fiber toward your carbs. If no, then don't. I'm not sure what you're hoping to gain by carb reduction so I couldn't answer that question.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Fiber is indigestible. It contributes no calories to you.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    If you're counting carbs, you have to decide if you're going to count "net carbs" which are carbs minus grams of fiber.
    I do count carbs, for medical reasons, but my dr told me net carbs can be sneaky and can add extra sugar alcohol to my diet that I don't want.
    If you want more food, eat up and don't worry about the net carbs.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Fibre is technically a carb but does not behave as one in the body because we cannot digest it, so it is not usually counted towards a total carb intake. That's a bit of a simplification but broadly true. It would be a carb if you were a horse, as horses can digest it, but not if you are a human.