Flabby Saggy Swingy Arms

Options
Okay, I need help. What are the best and easiest exercises for working these triceps? I need something I can do at home - with dumb bells if necessary. I can see definition in my biceps and shoulders, but my triceps still look gross. I just want to tone them up so they don't swing around and look like this. Thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well, losing flab (not loose skin) is done by lowering body fat, which comes from a deficit and time. If anything, I would start with an at home structured program. There are two programs in the link below. Many of the moves are compound and will work both bi's and tri's (ideal for balance).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have been consuming 1100-1300 calories a day. I walk 4-5 miles a day, and I do body weight exercises 20 minutes each day through my Sworkit app. I have lost 20 lbs in the past 2 months, with 17 of that being fat. I have noticed that my arms have slimmed down, and parts of them are toning up. I am going to check out these programs. I definitely need to do something. Thank you so much!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    How much do you weigh?

You will probably want to up calories since your weight loss is really aggressive, which is really not going to help with your goals. At this point, you should to working to hold onto as much muscle as possible. This will help you become more lean. I would increase calories to at least 1700, increase protein to around .6-.8g per lb of weight.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    push ups and/or weighted tricep kickbacks (google will show you lots of examples/technique tips). There are lots of yoga poses that work your arms pretty hard, as well. Lots of free yoga routines on Youtube.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I mean all you can really do is add muscle once you are done eating in a caloric deficit. Until then it is something you'll have to deal with.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of loose skin and flab on my upper arms, but I have seen improvements over the last few weeks, but it has taken a lot of work and lifting heavier weights which is building some muscle to fill the loose skin. The biggest changes seem to have been after adding compound lifts and (assisted because I'm not that strong) pull ups and dips. I also do press ups and tricep dips (really feel those) to target that area along with single handed rows (which I will hopefully be replacing with barbel rows this week), tricep kickbacks and some isolation exercises on the cable machine.
  • jagodfrey08
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    How much do you weigh?

You will probably want to up calories since your weight loss is really aggressive, which is really not going to help with your goals. At this point, you should to working to hold onto as much muscle as possible. This will help you become more lean. I would increase calories to at least 1700, increase protein to around .6-.8g per lb of weight.

I'm still 36 lbs from my goal. My BMR is 1572. So, I'm taking in the 1100-1300 a day. I take in at least o2 grams of protein a day, and many times Im over 100g of protein. I'm only 5'3", but I have a bigger frame (not petite). I was extremely out of shape when I started my journey. My nutritionist has helped me track my weight loss. Apparently, 17 of the 20 lbs I have lost is fat. The rest has been water.
  • jagodfrey08
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    I have a lot of loose skin and flab on my upper arms, but I have seen improvements over the last few weeks, but it has taken a lot of work and lifting heavier weights which is building some muscle to fill the loose skin. The biggest changes seem to have been after adding compound lifts and (assisted because I'm not that strong) pull ups and dips. I also do press ups and tricep dips (really feel those) to target that area along with single handed rows (which I will hopefully be replacing with barbel rows this week), tricep kickbacks and some isolation exercises on the cable machine.

Thanks for this! I will start doing those as well as my typical routine.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    How much do you weigh?

I'm still 36 lbs from my goal. My BMR is 1572. So, I'm taking in the 1100-1300 a day. I take in at least o2 grams of protein a day, and many times Im over 100g of protein. I'm only 5'3", but I have a bigger frame (not petite). I was extremely out of shape when I started my journey. My nutritionist has helped me track my weight loss. Apparently, 17 of the 20 lbs I have lost is fat. The rest has been water.

Out of curiosity, how are you measuring fat vs water loss?

So as you become more lean, you should slow down weight loss to help increase the ability to retain muscle; this is especially true if you want to be lean (low body fat). Protein is actually really good. So the bigger thing would transition to a structured program (if you want to add some additional tricep/bicep exercise at the end you can). This will maximize results.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

Personally I would try and eat more if I was you. I'm 5'1", 197lb and eat 2000-2500 calories a day, although I have to admit I'd probably be classed as very active (I go by my Fitbit and walk 25000 steps a day). I lost the first 85lb quite quickly, averaging 2.5lb/week, but have deliberately cut back on cardio and increased strength over the last month, which has slowed the loss to about 0.5-1lb/week but given better results as far as inches goes. The quick weight loss is part of the problem as far as the excess skin on my upper arms is concerned, can't help but think once I got myself out of the morbidly obese category, slower is probably better for how I'll end up looking.

• jagodfrey08
    Options
    I'm following my physician/nutritionist's advice as far as my diet goes. I am looking for exercises I can incorporate into my routine.
  • jagodfrey08
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how are you measuring fat vs water loss?

So as you become more lean, you should slow down weight loss to help increase the ability to retain muscle; this is especially true if you want to be lean (low body fat). Protein is actually really good. So the bigger thing would transition to a structured program (if you want to add some additional tricep/bicep exercise at the end you can). This will maximize results.

My doctor has a scale that measures all of that, and she gives me the numbers.

I am still quite overweight and am not near my final goal. So, I am still losing pretty steady at about 1-2 lbs a week.

I appreciate the insight regarding the exercise info.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If you just want exercise, a structured plan would be ideal, but you can add dips, tricep kick-backs, tricep cable extensions, cable pull downs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I collected some home triceps exercises and posted them here:

http://pin.it/byvzO84
    I thought you'd like this Board on Pinterest...
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Dips are my all time favorite tricep exercise. They hurt like the dickens, but they work.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I am looking for exercises I can incorporate into my routine.

I would follow a standard, full-body strength program, without modifying it to target your flabby areas extra, which won't give you the results you want.
    It's best to follow a pro-designed program, not a self-designed plan. If you can get access to a gym, NROL4W is a popular program. Otherwise you can start with Nerd Fitness's program, or Fitness Blender.
    For best results, the weight should feel heavy by 10 reps, if not sooner. :+1:
  • fitgamercatlady
    fitgamercatlady Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm here to offer encouragement (as I don't have any idea how to lose the "flab"). There is a woman at my office who had very flabby arms. They hung several inches from her arms. It's been a little over a year and she has the body of a model. Her arms are not just "normal" looking, but they're toned. She lost a lot of body fat too, but it took time. As long as you're motivated and patient, you can achieve your goal! :# I believe in you!
  • jagodfrey08
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, everyone! I will incorporate more of those into my routine. No gym until we move to a new area. Thankfully, dips and such can be done at home....and yes...dips suck. Lol Thanks for the tips!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    You probably know this already, but many women seem not to, so I'll mention it just in case.

I've (frequently!) talked to some woman who'd hold her upper arm out straight/relaxed from the shoulder, often with the arm bent, wiggle it around, point at and pinch the wobble on that back of her arm, and lament her "arm fat". But if I ask her to flex/contract her arm muscles, there's much less - often relatively little or no - wobble.

Bottom line: A surprising number of women mis-identify slack/relaxed triceps, and think those are fat. The part that's still squishy/wobbly when the triceps are contracted is fat (or skin). Only fat loss helps the fat. Strengthening should improve the appearance of the muscle.
  • jagodfrey08
    Options
    That's kinda what I have going on, AnnPT77. When my arms are flexed, there is no wobble or jiggle. When they are held straight out, it's a huge swoop. It looks so gross to me. It has gotten smaller, but I want to work on those triceps for sure. My arms have always been pretty weak, too. So, I will keep plugging along on my weight loss and work on toning the muscles under the fat.