Training obliques?

Options
Ever since I have been weightlifting, I never trained my obliques, I do the regular abs exercises like decline crunch, but never the obliques. Is it really necessary to train them, when i google it, I get conflicting responses, you have one half that says to avoid them because it can make you look fat and then there is another group that says it's a must. What do you guys or girls think?

Replies

• BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I train them 2x a week
  • keishanoel1
    keishanoel1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just personal preference, I never train them with anything weighted. I feel like mine bulk. I do do side planks though, I feel like that makes my side look more toned and pulled in instead of built out.

www.farmwifefitness.com
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I never train them. The only direct about work I do is the ab roller.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I do landmine 180s, mostly cause I don't think the indirect work ever trains rotational/anti-rotational movement. I think things like weighted side bends can definitely build them and make for a wider waistline.
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I work mine once a week with either torso rotation machine, side planks or hyper extension bench on my side.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    and there was me doing my oblique training faithfully yet feeling bulkier in that area, seeing above responses explains why!! :/
    my problem is with side planks or any kind of planks I hurt my hips (have hip issues)...

Any other ways to work the obliques anyone??
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Normally once or twice a week using a cable machine (wood choppers for example) and single dumbbell side bends .
    Helps me with core stability when cycling, also helps support/protect my damaged lower back.
    I work them for function not aesthetics.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I feel the core should be trained in all 3 planes of motion.