New to running...swollen ankles

Options
I ran on Saturday...a mile in 15 minutes. My first mile ever. And I woke up yesterday and the tops of my feet were kind of swollen and slightly bruised. And today my ankles are swollen...any ideas on what the heck happened? What did I do wrong? My shoes are pretty new...

Replies

• beetle_stomper
    beetle_stomper Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    New shoes are always a pain, but I think it's mostly the fact that you're new to running. Don't go too hard too fast, it's a high-impact exercise and it'll take your body some time to adjust. I recommend using the next 2-3 days to recuperate. If you're trying to tone as well, get in some lifting and let your ankles/legs heal up. I've literally crippled myself in the past by trying to keep going, even though my body was screaming "It HURTS!"

If you're really determined to get in the cardio, try biking, rowing, or elliptical.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    How tight are you tying your shoes?
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Soak in a warm Epsom salt bath. Only run every other day. Did you have high sodium day or or day before? Are you flat footed or high arched or regular? When you bought running shoes, did you buy based on the shape of your foot?
  • japapanek
    japapanek Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have GOOD running shoes. Soend the money.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if you are properly fitted for running shoes, there should be no need to break them in.
    make sure your shoes aren't too tight and the top of your socks.
    try tying your shoes differently