Iced coffee recipe?!!

fatoomalrowaiei
fatoomalrowaiei Posts: 95 Member
I love coffee and i love starbucks but hey whipped cream and caramel is a no no ... Help?!

Replies

• spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    I've never had Starbucks so I don't know what I'm comparing it too. But I make a cup of French Vanilla flavoured coffee (Tassimo), add a tsp of sugar, skim milk and chill it. When it's cold I take it out and toss it in a larger cup/glass with some ice cubes and away I go! Now, maybe this seems rich to me because I normally drink my coffee black, but I love it.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    edited August 2016
    I like my regular coffee... just over ice. Basically, I make strong Folgers with a sweet 'n low and some sugar free vanilla creamer. I pour it over a glass of ice- and that's it. Comes in at about 70 calories.

Use whatever creamer you like (but count the calories!) Or- they do make sugar free flavored syrups and also flavored coffees if you aren't into the fake sweeteners.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited August 2016
    I did a little experiment with making iced coffee at home the other day. I didn't calculate the calories, but I would assume it was about 200. I did 1.5 cups chilled black coffee, 1/4 cup whole milk (can be replaced with almond milk or whatever lower cal substitute), 1/2 scoop (100 cals) chocolate protein powder (or you could use chocolate milk mix, but I prefer protein powder), and mix with blender. I swirled a little bit of hershey's syrup into the empty cup (unnecessary if you want to cut some calories), pour in crushed ice, and then poured the liquid concoction in. It had a bit of a thickness, not much, and was foamy. It was pretty tasty.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    I made some cold brew coffee last summer. I lost the recipe unfortunately. :( But I found I needed so much less add-ins because it is smoother and a little sweeter.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Cold brew iced coffee is super easy to make and tastes great: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-the-best-iced-coffee-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-192560. You might want to experiment with different types of beans. Don't just chill already brewed coffee; it's not the same and tastes crappy.

If I'm feeling indulgent, I'll make this vanilla hazelnut almond milk which is just delicious: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/06/24/coffee-shop-worthy-caramel-vanilla-bean-hazelnut-milk/
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    You know starbucks has low calorie versions of their drinks right? Sugar free syrups (so also very low calorie) and drinks without whipped cream. Some of their ice coffees are less than 100 calories. Look up their nutritional info guide.

As for making your own, sorry can't help. I've tried so many times in the past and everything I have made has tasted awful! haha
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Left over coffee, half a cup of unsweet soy milk, and a few drops of stevia extract. About 50 calories. Oh and pour over a big glass of ice.
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    Wolfena wrote: »
    I like my regular coffee... just over ice. Basically, I make strong Folgers with a sweet 'n low and some sugar free vanilla creamer. I pour it over a glass of ice- and that's it. Comes in at about 70 calories.

Use whatever creamer you like (but count the calories!) Or- they do make sugar free flavored syrups and also flavored coffees if you aren't into the fake sweeteners.

Ummm sounds good ill try that , thank you
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    You know starbucks has low calorie versions of their drinks right? Sugar free syrups (so also very low calorie) and drinks without whipped cream. Some of their ice coffees are less than 100 calories. Look up their nutritional info guide.

As for making your own, sorry can't help. I've tried so many times in the past and everything I have made has tasted awful! haha

Really low calorie in starbucks!! Thank youuu ill ask them when i go next time
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    dklibert wrote: »
    I made some cold brew coffee last summer. I lost the recipe unfortunately. :( But I found I needed so much less add-ins because it is smoother and a little sweeter.

Thanks for the tip!!!
  • AnarchistKitchen
    AnarchistKitchen Posts: 139 Member
    I've been really getting into those syrups that they have at starbucks but buying them (probably different brand) from world market. World market has a crazy selection of syrups. I'm surprised by their sugar free selection. Since the sugar free is sucralose they taste way better than aspartame to me. Depending on what size you buy a 2 TB serving can be as low as 35 cents!!! And cold brewed coffee can be pennies too! Get some cheap milk, cream or almond milk (40 calories per cup /$2.99 carton).

My husband is a coffee fanatic. He insists that even the cheapest coffee beans will taste like a million dollars when ground freshly before using. He even bought a higher quality espresso machine from the thrift store which he uses ever day that he's not drinking cold brewed coffee. I know you're talking iced coffee but it's worth mentioning that buying a really nice milk frother will pay itself back quickly. We got a breville for $100 from william sonoma but it's perfect since his thrift store espresso machine has a broken frother. And that you just push a button and it does it for you.

ei1gdisqszyo.jpg

https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2015/09/28/cold-brewed-coffee-cheap-iced-mocha-vegan-optional/
  • OneWayOnlyCycles
    OneWayOnlyCycles Posts: 67 Member
    I had to switch from my frequent visits to Starbucks. I'm in withdrawal..........now I am making my own green tea and finding that 3 to 4 cups a day really controls my appetite! I wonder if the caffeine in Starbucks was making my hunger worse?! Could that be true? Anyone had experiences like this?

Anyhow, try green tea. Plain or with some low cal sweetener.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Not a coffee drinker, but many recipes on this site are really good.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/skinny-pumpkin-spiced-latte/

• Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    The biggest piece of advice I can give that isn't covered above: Make 1/2 a pot of coffee. Cool. Pour into ice-cube tray. Freeze. Use coffee-cubes instead of ice-cubes in your iced coffee, whichever recipe you decide to try.

Mmmm. . . Non-diluted iced coffee.
  • lnvm
    lnvm Posts: 1 Member
    To the suggestion above, add a 1/4 cup of 1% or skim chocolate milk. It's good and not too sweet!
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Left over coffee, half a cup of unsweet soy milk, and a few drops of stevia extract. About 50 calories. Oh and pour over a big glass of ice.

You can do this, but also pour some coffee into an ice tray and use that for your ice cubes. It will prevent a watery drink!
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    The biggest piece of advice I can give that isn't covered above: Make 1/2 a pot of coffee. Cool. Pour into ice-cube tray. Freeze. Use coffee-cubes instead of ice-cubes in your iced coffee, whichever recipe you decide to try.

Mmmm. . . Non-diluted iced coffee.
    Wow thankss !!!! Then i just add milk and sweetner?!!!
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Not a coffee drinker, but many recipes on this site are really good.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/skinny-pumpkin-spiced-latte/

Thank you!!! ill check them out
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    I had to switch from my frequent visits to Starbucks. I'm in withdrawal..........now I am making my own green tea and finding that 3 to 4 cups a day really controls my appetite! I wonder if the caffeine in Starbucks was making my hunger worse?! Could that be true? Anyone had experiences like this?

Anyhow, try green tea. Plain or with some low cal sweetener.

Im facing the opposite , green tea makes me hungry but drinking coffee makes me feel full kinda for 4 hours