Preworkout giving me anxiety!

Options
I've tried a couple really good pre workouts and haven't been using the full scoop but I get shaky and super anxious once it kicks in. It's hard to concentrate and I feel an empty knot in my stomach. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Stop taking a supplement that you actually have no need for?

Get adequate protein through your diet

Check packaging for known stimulants like caffeine

There is no need for a pre workout
  • RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous poster. No need for pre workouts. Eat well and if you need some "pick me up" then have a coffee (I do that in the weekends, get a double ristretto before my squats) and works pretty well for me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Stop taking it then!

Why do you think you need a pre-workout anyway?

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    They are completely unnecessary. Quit taking it.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Stop taking them, you don't need them. If you need to 'wake up' some just have some coffee or tea before your workout, Not directly before, but maybe an hour or 30 minutes before.
  • pmastro724
    pmastro724 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yep - completely unnecessary. I too thought I needed a jolt. I bought that Cellucor C4 fruit punch. My tongue and mouth felt slightly numb. I tried it again the next day - same thing happened...that was the last of my pre workout drink. Its crap.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Have a half cup of coffee :-)
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    stef0692 wrote: »
    I get shaky and super anxious once it kicks in.

I'm certain it's the caffeine content (or maybe another stimulant). Same thing happens to me when I have a cup of coffee, that's why I don't take pre-workouts.
  • meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've been leary about taking many supplements but I recently started using Amino Energy by Optimum Nutrition and really like it. I was noticing that I was losing steam halfway through my workouts, so I just started drinking it during my workout...only about 1.5 - 2 scoops. It's just enough to give me a boost and no anxiousness whatsoever.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I've been leary about taking many supplements but I recently started using Amino Energy by Optimum Nutrition and really like it. I was noticing that I was losing steam halfway through my workouts, so I just started drinking it during my workout...only about 1.5 - 2 scoops. It's just enough to give me a boost and no anxiousness whatsoever.

I second Amino Energy.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you need waking up, have a cup of tea or coffee. If you need something else i.e. energy to get you through the workout, have a banana, apple, small amount of dried fruit/nuts.

If you can't get through your workout, you need to reduce the time/difficulty until you are fitter - pushing too far beyond what you can do is counter-productive. You need to know you've worked out, not be needing oxygen! ;)
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have tried several pre workout drinks, for at least a month each, and have also gone without any pre workout drink for months. I could find no benefit to them at all.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Caffeine will do that....I stopped drinking it because of my Anxeity
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    don't take it.
    either try another supplement, or coffee, or just eat something like peanut butter and toast. frequently, i workout with nothing on board
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I use a pre workout every day i go to the gym. Its mental for me. If I don't use it my workout is very short of anything steller...but to each their own. Once I started on the slope I have never gotten out of it, but im okay with it "as is" .

That said not sure what PWO you are using so hard to suggest an alternate. Tell me what you tried. Some are very stim heavy. some not so much and of course depenidng on whats in them can have different affect on different people.. If your only half scooping and getting kitters you likely picked on too strong or your very stim sensitive. ..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    stef0692 wrote: »
    I've tried a couple really good pre workouts and haven't been using the full scoop but I get shaky and super anxious once it kicks in. It's hard to concentrate and I feel an empty knot in my stomach. Any suggestions?
    Quit taking it? Why are you taking it anyway?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Also just as an FYI PWO are not all "completely crap" many do have some decent useful ingredients for stamina, pump, and recovery in them. Necessary...No. Useful...to some Yes. Often they will show "proprietary blend" and that should alarm you somewhat since to me you have no real idea of how much of any one item is in there which could be a way to "protect" their formulation or simply be due to lack of quality control to guarantee that each ingredient is accurate on each container ...even than you have to shake it up pre scooping. Is it a waste of money..you pay for convenience. You could buy most of the ingredients in bulk and build you own PWO (I have done this before). It is time consuming but can be worthwhile as you'll know what is in each dose and it is a lot less expensive over the long. You can tweak the components to your liking.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    They can be useful... there's no need to blanket all of them as crap. But if the OP is having adverse side effects, then yeah, stop taking it obviously.