food swap

Options
Hi all. Im following a meal plan but on 2 of the meals they include salmon and sardines which i dont like. Does anyone know what i can replace them with? They must contain the same amount of macros. Tia

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why trying to follow others' meal plans is no good.

Make your own meal plan and fill it with foods you like that also fit your goals.
  • katieushx
    katieushx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt have a clue where to start thats why im following a meal plan. Im happy with everything else on there apart from the salmon and sardines
  • kommodevaran
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm curious. What do you mean by not have a clue? I'm sure most people at least have an idea of what normal/ordinary meals look like. How have you eaten up intil now? From you were little?

All you need to do, is use your food diary and hit the calorie goal MFP has set for you. You don't even have to eat meals, you can graze all day if that's your thing.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    So don't make those meals and substitute something else from another day, instead.

Then, use the plan as a template from which to go it alone. Ultimately, your aim is to learn to eat so you stay at a healthy weight for the rest of your life and that means eating foods that you enjoy and which fit in with your day t day life.
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    katieushx wrote: »
    Hi all. Im following a meal plan but on 2 of the meals they include salmon and sardines which i dont like. Does anyone know what i can replace them with? They must contain the same amount of macros. Tia

Turkey, Chicken, or Beef
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Is it all fish you don't like, or just those 2. You could just try different types of fish like cod, haddock, or tuna or pilchards.

Make your own meal plan and fill it with foods you like that also fit your goals.

Why can't people just give a helpful answer to the OP's question or not comment at all. There's always someone that has to have a go at what you're doing :s
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Bingo.

For salmon and sardines it sounds like they are going for oily/fatty fish--among other things, omega-3s. Are there any fish you like?

If you don't want to get into the details so much, it's mainly protein, so eat protein (meat, egg, dairy are the easiest sources that will have similar macros, depending -- full fat dairy and eggs will have more fat, many sources of dairy will have more carbs -- log one and then another to compare).
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing they include salmon and sardines to get your recommended (minimum) two portions of fish a week (at least one of which should be oily). You could have FRESH tuna (not tinned - for some reason the canning process removes the beneficial oils from tuna but not other fish) or go for canned mackerel - use the steamed type.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Probably just pick another fish, and increase or decrease the portion to get close to the calories, protein, and fat contained in the sardines and salmon. They tend to have a stronger taste and high fat content, but there are others that are much more mild-tasting (flounder, cod, maybe trout, etc.).
    If you don't like fish, maybe turkey or chicken breast, and add something like avocado or walnuts to round out the fat macros?
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    Is it all fish you don't like, or just those 2. You could just try different types of fish like cod, haddock, or tuna or pilchards.

Why can't people just give a helpful answer to the OP's question or not comment at all. There's always someone that has to have a go at what you're doing :s

Because that is what IS helpful. Because if we suggest replacements, and the poster misses the whole picture, he/she won't have learned anything, and next week come back asking for swaps for cantaloupes, and after that swaps for quinoa, after that, beets, etc., etc.
  • katieushx
    Options
    Not a huge fan of seafood. Cod, tuna and prawns is about it.

• katieushx
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies :)
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Tuna
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

we won't be here for all of eternity to offer swaps for food choices. I would never follow someones meal plan. Im going to make one that suits my tastebuds in order to not have the problem OP has.