Difficulty Sleeping

Options
Hi there. I've been a member of this site for years but have only recently picked it back up again.

I recently moved into a new apartment. Since then (about 6 weeks) I have been having trouble sleeping. I can get to sleep but sleep lightly and wake regularly. A lot of tossing and turning. Obviously I blamed the move, even tossed the mattress and bought a new one. But nothing changed. I can't figure it out as I usually sleep well.

A thought occurred to me though. At the same time I moved, I joined a new gym and have started working out hard with a trainer. Harder than I've ever worked out in my life. I would expect exercise would make me sleep better, not worse but it's the only other thing in my life that's changed (other than the new apartment).

Is this possible that starting to work out could disrupt sleep? Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    I have heard it is possible that working out can disturb sleep. Personally, working out almost ensures that I'm going to get a really deep solid night's sleep.

But maybe, in your case, you might consider doing something like trying a cup of chamomile tea late in the evening as well as creating a relaxed atmosphere in the 30 minutes or so before going to sleep. Turn off the computer, turn down the lights, read a relaxing book ... things like that.

Oh, and a new apartment might also contribute to the restlessness.
  • JessUK98
    JessUK98 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Are you undereating and/or overtraining? I read (I think it was in the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women but not 100% sure) that overtraining or not eating enough can sometimes cause sleepless nights.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Are you working out in the late afternoon or evening? Some people are energized by working out, so you might try changing your workout time to earlier in the day.
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm under-eating and/or overtraining. I'm getting around 1700 cals per day, mostly low carb (am looking to change this and get more carbs in) and working out 3 times per week for an hour at a time. It's fairly intense though - a mix of Hiit and circuit training. I find it very challenging but can get through it. All different times of the day and night, to be honest. Go when I get time. Maybe I need to keep a diary?!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I take a magnesium powder which helps me. Otherwise I'm the insomniacs insomniacs, sooooo tired but rarely sleep. When sleeping, rarely stay that way....
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It might be nothing to do with the exercise; I just can't find anything wrong with the new place that could be causing it. Am not someone who struggles to sleep in hotels etc. I quit smoking a few years back and struggled with sleeping then. That's a common side effect. This feels exactly the same as when I quit smoking. Weird!
  • kchartinc
    kchartinc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Is it possible with the new setup that light is getting through your windows? If you don't already have one, get a good light blocking curtain. Also, if you're on your phone/computer a lot, I've found that eliminating the blue light works wonders. I have this app called Twilight (free) that gradually dims and turns my screen a reddish hue as it gets darker out. You should try it!