Accountability partner and motivation

Options
Hello all! Starting over again... 42 yo dad looking to lose weight to be healthier for my family. Looking for other guys in the same situation to help encourage and support each other. After 40 it is just not as easy as it used to be to lose the weight. Tips appreciated.

Replies

• montaguek
    montaguek Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Log everything, buy a scale for home and work. For men multiply weight x 11 for maintence calories. Eat less than that number everyday and you will lose. Example l have lost about 80 pounds current weight 300 x 11= 3300 x 7= 23100 calories per week to maintain 300 pounds. If I eat the recommended minimum amount for males 1800 x 7=12600. 23100-12600=10,500 deficit which equals a 3pound weight loss per week with no exercise. Eat healthy foods, foods that fill you up protein, vegetables, lean meats, avocados,fruit and anything you like just don't eat over your calorie limit. No cheating because the scale won't lie and it stinks to not lose when that is the plan. There is no motivation like clothes fitting better or down sizing. I donate my clothes when they are to big so I cannot grow back into them. From 5x to 3x so far. Donated around 3000 dollars of dress shirts and pants. It felt good to get rid of the tents. I do move a lot I try not to watch television. I have started to bike and walk but it makes me hungry and it has been harder to stay on track some weeks. I may lose inches but not weight. Mentally it helps to see the scale go down but losing inches is good also. I have around another 100 to 120 to go. If I stick to the plan it will work and it will also work for you. Try to stay away from eating out until you have mastered portion control or take a scale with you. If some situations are too much of a pain plan a different activity. Take care of yourself and put you first, your health is more important than going to a party or somewhere where food triggers are too much and you fall off the plan. Slow and steady wins the race, healthy is a lifestyle and a new way of living. It takes time and effort and it is totally worth it.
  • montaguek
    Options
    I forgot I am 43 so in the same age bracket. It may be a little harder but not much if you are honest with yourself and have accountability and support.
  • montaguek
    Options
    I forgot to mention. I can't usually means I won't. So stop making excuses and just do it. No half measures like -I will try my best. Your just setting yourself up for failure. Daily effort and small changes add up and anyone can do it as long as they believe that they can. People are there own worst enemy especially when it comes to negative self talk and destroying motivation based on irrational thinking. Last thing just because you have increased emotional distress does not make it okay to eat unhealthy-use postive coping skills to deal with the emotions/stress. Break the cycle and treat yourself well no matter what happens. Make it happen.
  • sutibo
    sutibo Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't have all that advice that montaguek does, but I've sent you a friend request.
  • bstewart1973
    bstewart1973 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm back at logging and my doctor is assisting by helping to monitor my weight loss as well. I have bad genes and all of this extra weight is not helping. You are right, it is slow and steady. I didn't put it all on overnight and it won't come off overnight.
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.