Gaining weight after one night of indulgence?

Options
kaylyantle
kaylyantle Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been using mfp now for about 2 weeks and have been under my calorie goal anywhere from 50-1000 calories every day (depending on exercise) and I've lost 5 pounds and have been really enjoying myself but last night I went out to supper and I didn't eat that bad but I was 500 calories over my goal for that day (with no exercise) I did drink a lot of water yesterday but today when I weighted I had gained 2 pounds! I definitely didn't eat enough to gain that, am I retaining water weight or is this being skewed in some way??

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Totally normal (although sometimes people see a drop in weight after an indulgence). It can be a combination of a higher carb intake (stored in muscles which requires water so it is often referred to as "water weight") and/or higher sodium in take (also water weight). Bottomline, it is mostly water weight and will drop off in a couple of days.
  • Marss86
    Marss86 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    After a couple days of your normal dieting again, it will come right off.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    2lbs is a very normal range up or down depending on your level of hydration and how full your body is. Just keep going. 1lb of weight is supposed to be 3500 extra calories. So your tiny binge won't have done too much harm.
    Make sure you are eating enough fibre. Constipation will make the scales shoot up!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Give it a few days back eating at your allowance again and you'll find its just water weight from the extra calories.
  • Kelley0519
    Kelley0519 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I had 1 day of indulging and the scale said I gained 5 lbs the next day...just drink plenty of water and it should get back to normal!
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Water weight or simply the weight of the undigested food. Breads and cheese are especially evil culprits for myself until I have a bm. As long as you maintain good habits, an indulgence here and there won't undo your hard work. :-)
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    My guess is the spices and preservatives used in the food you ate at the restaurant contributed to your fluid retention. Next time, you might want to tell the waiter "no spices" on whatever you're ordering. In the meantime, you can flush out the retained fluid by drinking water with LOTS of lemon juice (I use 3 parts water, 1 part lemon juice). Should be flushed out in the next day or two.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    My guess is the spices and preservatives used in the food you ate at the restaurant contributed to your fluid retention. Next time, you might want to tell the waiter "no spices" on whatever you're ordering. In the meantime, you can flush out the retained fluid by drinking water with LOTS of lemon juice (I use 3 parts water, 1 part lemon juice). Should be flushed out in the next day or two.

Spices?

I use spices everyday. Who wants to eat bland food when indulging?
    It's not really a big deal, it's simply water weight.
  • sheenasamdog681
    sheenasamdog681 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So annoying as you need that break but don't worry it will as the others have said go in a couple of days. I find its best not to jump on the scales after a night out. Keep going life's to short not to have fun, Sheena UK
  • heartofplastic
    heartofplastic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Haha don't worry, my poop weighs 2 lbs so I don't even weigh myself after I've indulged
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Spices?

I use spices everyday. Who wants to eat bland food when indulging?
    It's not really a big deal, it's simply water weight.

I go into restaurants all the time and tell the chef not to add any spices to my order. I love bland Indian food. <roll eyes>
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Spices are just herbs, and all the ones I use have 0 calories. It could however be added salt in the food. They tend to load up on salt to flavor their food. Give it a couple days. Water retention is normal, and you will fluctuate often on your journey.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm the "unlucky" one. It can take me up to 10 days sometimes for my weight to normalize after an indulgence. So, don't get too discouraged if it takes a little longer than a couple of days. But if you resume your normal eating, the water weight will come off. :)
  • Nappingcat97
    Nappingcat97 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Everyone's been there! I like the "hasn't been processed out" statement. Eloquently put, and true. For me, when this happens I always trace it to heavier salt intake. Eating out always means a lot of salt, and that means water. Scales are good, but not the most reliable. Think of them as advisors. And just keep in mind that to really gain 2 pounds in a day, or a week, you have to eat 7000 EXTRA calories. Maybe you did...but if you did, I doubt you'd have been surpri
    sed by the scale!
  • kaylyantle
    kaylyantle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guy! This really out my mind at ease :) I was worried that my one day of having a little extra might have just ruined my whole last week :P
  • Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Haha don't worry, my poop weighs 2 lbs so I don't even weigh myself after I've indulged

Too much information!!!!

:D:D:D
  • MiMi_5151
    MiMi_5151 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ditto regarding the high salt content in your restaurant meal. Take a look at most restaurants' nutrition information (if available) and you will see a days' worth of sodium (or more) in most items!
  • kprimaverab
    kprimaverab Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal once per week. It's really nothing to worry about. Your body probably held onto water from an excess of sodium.