Lose belly fat without losing more weight

Options
So my belly is still pretty big but I'm at the weight I want. So how do I lose more fr the belly without lisingote weight. Or is it not possible for a 59 year old lady

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If you still have body fat to lose, you can aim for building muscle over a period of time, and lose more fat. Your other options are things like liposuction. Post-menopausal hormones might have a part in where you tend to carry body fat.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Start weight training...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Good advice above. This may be helpful to you also:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    recomp
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    It is possible for a 59yo woman but, before I would advise a recomp, may I ask your height and weight?

I have found a recomp at an older age is even slower going than a pre menopausal woman. (Not that I ever tried a recomp pre menopause)

You may find you will get better results dropping another few pounds while following a weight training routine, maintaining for a couple of months (optional), then clean bulking back up to the weight you are at now.

Whatever way you choose to go, make sure your protien is quite high. Older people need a higher protien intake to help in muscle retention than those half their age.

I am asking about height and weight because I tried a recomp for a few months, found it exhausting, and with little in the way of visible results. I did gain strength.

I am now back lifting in recomp, but in September I think I am going to bulk so I will have a better chance of actually gaining muscle as well as strength.

Cheers, h.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It is possible for a 59yo woman but, before I would advise a recomp, may I ask your height and weight?

I have found a recomp at an older age is even slower going than a pre menopausal woman. (Not that I ever tried a recomp pre menopause)

You may find you will get better results dropping another few pounds while following a weight training routine, maintaining for a couple of months (optional), then clean bulking back up to the weight you are at now.

Whatever way you choose to go, make sure your protien is quite high. Older people need a higher protien intake to help in muscle retention than those half their age.

I am asking about height and weight because I tried a recomp for a few months, found it exhausting, and with little in the way of visible results. I did gain strength.

I am now back lifting in recomp, but in September I think I am going to bulk so I will have a better chance of actually gaining muscle as well as strength.

Cheers, h.

Actually it's gong to be slow whether recomp or cut/bulk.
    An older woman only has the capability to gain muscle very slowly so bulking will most likely result in a very poor ratio of fat and muscle added.

Even for this elderly man a bulk is pointless - I would just get fat!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Appologies for a slight detour @chuckyjean.

Thanks for that @sijomial. I really apreciate your input.

I do realise the time line is six of one, half a dozen of the other. I unfortunately also know not to even expect a half pound muscle gain a month.
    I just found trying to recomp on a maintenance TDEE very exhausting and decided to try a clean bulk as I am going to have to up my calories to make any reasonable progress.
    I also realise I am particularly light, small boned, and 62, with absolutely no health problems, so I want to try as hard as I can, while I can.
    If there is any success you can be sure I will do an ecstatic post :)

It was the energy aspect (from personal experience) I was addressing when I gave the option of losing a bit more while starting to lift then bulking back up to around goal weight.

Cheers, and thanks again for the feedback, h.
  • chuckyjean
    chuckyjean Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I list 30 pounds and am at 142 at 5'6"
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    chuckyjean wrote: »
    So my belly is still pretty big but I'm at the weight I want. So how do I lose more fr the belly without lisingote weight. Or is it not possible for a 59 year old lady

Sometimes we need to be realistic with what is possible and not our vision. It's possible for you no matter the age to lose fat, although what you think you should weigh doesn't sounds reasonable. You're going to then have put on muscle after losing overall weight and body fat. Either way it's going to be a lot of work. You can do just about anything as long as it in realm of reality.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    An older woman only has the capability to gain muscle very slowly so bulking will most likely result in a very poor ratio of fat and muscle added.

Even for this elderly man a bulk is pointless - I would just get fat!

Most people get fat when they bulk, not just old folks.

This 65 yr old man has bulked and cut twice (unintentionally on the bulk side) in the past 3 yrs and while I got fat going up, I also got lean and more muscular going back down when the cut was combined w/strength training. Current weight 173#, BF% about 20% and deadlift PR 275#.

So, in general, I disagree that bulking is pointless for the elderly. Each person has to assess his/her needs and ability individually regardless of age.