41 year old who wants to not die too soon

Options
Hello. I'm Brian. I'm a 41 year old tipping the scales at 294 lbs (6'2") My highest was 310. Im at that age where I know I have to lose weight or it's going to be an early trip to the graveyard for me (do you know what I mean?) Although right now I'm focusing on just getting into the 280's, my first milestone goal is to get under 250. A weight I haven't been since probably my early 30's. I'm lifting light, doing cardio and watching calories with MFP. Never tried the social side of this so if you friend or follow I will do the same. Thanks for looking!

Replies

• Brianh8091
    Brianh8091 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh, ultimate goal is to get back into the teens...219, 218...but for right now, just wanna stay consistent
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    hey Brian. Just keep in mind ultimate motivation has to come from within. Best of luck - You can do it. :)

• 4thDegreeKnight
    4thDegreeKnight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Right there with you bud. I'm 41 and up to two years ago even if I was heavy I could shred weight no time flat if I wanted to and took that fact for granted. Now at 41, losing weight is tough as hell and very slow. It's taken me a month to lose what I would normally do in a week and a half.

But same thing, I want to be around to see my daughter's get married and don't want to be tired anymore. So here I am.

One suggestion I would give though, if I may, is go get a baseline from a doctor - Cholesterol, make sure your heart is OK, and check your thyroid and Testosterone. At 40, some of this goes out of whack and makes it twice as hard to lose weight without intervention. Ironically, poor sleeping and needing a CPAP was holding me back for a while.

You can do this man, one step at a time, pace yourself, give your body rest, and don't be a flash in the pan. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • lisahebert186
    lisahebert186 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I'll be 37 and I want to lose my weight and get lean and toned before I hit 40. I know this is a lifestyle change and I welcome anyone who want to support and motivate me along the journey, as I'll do the same for them. I have found it helps to have people who are going through the same thing. They understand and can relate.
  • philbanet
    philbanet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I hear you! 4th is correct. Slow and steady wins this race. You can do it!