Running to alleviate back pain?

Options
a_marie52
a_marie52 Posts: 11 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm about 45 pounds overweight and have a lot of back pain due to severe fallen arches. I do a lot of yoga which helps some but it doesn't shed the pounds. I want to start running to build leg, hip, and torso muscles and tI lose the weight around my waist. I'm wondering if it's better to do short sprints or try to build distance? Any suggestions? Is running even a good idea in this case? I do have special orthotics and supportive shoes.

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest biking instead -try a spin class or go outside for a good long or quick ride. Running to eliminate pain from fallen arches is counter-productive. Try another exercise until some of the weight comes off.
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Ya I agree with the first answer. Low impact exercise has a lessened chance of causing you more pain. Swimming is good too! Good luck!
  • japapanek
    japapanek Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have found alternating run with walk as my body can handle it best. It even strengthened my legs to support my bad knees.

Go to a running store and tell them your goals and pains. They can help you find the best shoes for you as they watch you walk. The shoes are worth the price.

I have also read that alternateing run with walk is more like a fitness circuit and better for you.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    What about hiking?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Before I'd consider running I'd suggest walking and some strength training (which could be body weight exercises) to strengthen your core, hips & glutes.

Once you can walk comfortably for half an hour or so you could start adding short, slow running intervals (eg 1 min run, 9 min walk - repeat 3 or more times) and gradually shift to 2 min run, 8 min walk etc until you can run 10 min continuously with a 1 min walk between intervals at which point you can decide whether you want to run longer continuously or not) Once you've built up your aerobic base (important for cardiovascular health) you may want to start doing some speed work but unless you planned on racing you could probably skip that.

On non-running days you may find some short HIIT workouts beneficial (tons of them on youtube) but don't be surprised if you have to keep them really short at first, if you're really dong HIIT a brief workout can be challenging and exhausting.
  • girllizzard
    girllizzard Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The suggestions above, especially from BrianSharpe sound good. I'd also suggest a very basic yoga class or DVD or other exercise class or tape meant for a sore back. That might speed things along.