3day military diet.

Options
I have read and watched a lot of reviews about military diet.
Just curious if it's really effective. Because I would like to try it.
Anyone here who tried and doing this diet?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You'll basically lose a bunch of water weight that will return after you return to eating normally. Just eat in a calorie deficit and ignore the fad diets.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It sound like a version of intermittent fasting. If you are interested in having a few very low calorie days follow by higher calorie days there are groups here that can help you find an IF plan. As for the claims the military diet makes that you can lose 10 lbs in a week; its pure hogwash (For most people...maybe if you have a huge amount to lose you could do it, but going off your profile pic that is not you). Even if you could lose 10lbs in a week you shouldn't want to because it would mean losing muscle not fat and it would be really *kitten* bad for your body. Also, it isn't used by the military if that matters to you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Any VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet) is effective. A better question is "Is it a good idea?" The Military Diet is a silly fad diet with no connection to the military.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,592 Member
    Options
    You're just reducing calories. You can do that on any diet, but the issue is can you sustain it? If not, you'll easily regain weight. This is NOT a diet I would recommend to anyone looking to just lose a few vanity pounds.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    tweetee29 wrote: »

It's like any diet: it will work if you eat at a calorie deficit, but if you eat at maintenance or a surplus, it won't work at all.

Find something that is sustainable long term, such as cutting back on the foods you love now. Don't do it if you can't stick with it for life.
  • luveydov
    luveydov Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am on a medically supervised VLCD. I started at 270 pounds. I only lost 4 pounds the first week, half of which was water. So if your aim is to lose a bunch of weight in one week you should reconsider and follow the advise of the folks that have recommended a more sustainable plan.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

This fad diet has been around for decades....with lots of name changes (Cleveland Clinic, Kaiser, etc). If this were effective, they wouldn't need to ever change the name.

It's 3 days of strange food combinations that result in very low calories. ANY 3 day run of very low calories would have you drop a couple pounds of water weight.....but this is not effective weight loss.

Eat fewer calories everyday (this is NOT the same as very low calories). Sustain that over several weeks/months. Log food here, so that you know it meets your nutritional needs......protien, fat, fiber. That's effective weight loss.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

It's a fad diet. You lose a couple of pounds of water weight, which quickly returns.

FWIW, this is nothing that anyone in the military uses, AFAIK. Did the "military thing" for 6 years, and never heard of it.
  • LaMartian
    LaMartian Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    All my years in the military, never heard about any bullsh** called the "military diet"
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Any diet that gives you a calorie deficit and you can sustain, is effective.
    Does this diet give you a calorie deficit? Yes, probably.
    Can you sustain it? No, certainly not.

I'm curious why you are tempted to starve yourself?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    It's a useless 3 day diet. Been there, done that.

No way one could lose actual fat that fast.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    A VLCD with zero nutritional value that looks like a toddler made the menu. Come on. I think someone made it up as a joke and is laughing at those who fall for such nonsense. Just eat at a normal calorie deficit and get some movement in. Quick fixes don't work.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

Thanks for your understanding,

kgeyser
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.