Walk 1 mile vs. run 1 mile. Burn the same amount of calories PER MILE ?

Options
Debbie_Ferr
Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Is there still a debate?

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/calories-burned-running-vs-walking

Per Runners World 8.8.16

.....................................WALK*...........RUN**

Cals/Mile.....................88.90...........112.50
Cals/Minute...................4.78.............11.26
After-burn/Mile...........21.70............46.10
New Total /Mile.........110.60..........158.60

Cals/Minute....................5.95............15.86

*one mile walk in 18:36; ** one mile run in 10:00

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    That link is broken, but I'm very sceptical of a claim of EPOC at 40% of net, anything I've seen that's been research attributed would put EPOC at 4-6% of net.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Is there still a debate?

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/calories-burned-running-vs-walking

Per Runners World 8.8.16

.....................................WALK*...........RUN**

Cals/Mile.....................88.90...........112.50
    Cals/Minute...................4.78.............11.26
    After-burn/Mile...........21.70............46.10
    New Total /Mile.........110.60..........158.60

Cals/Minute....................5.95............15.86

*one mile walk in 18:36; ** one mile run in 10:00

Sorry are you saying they do or they don't. What part of this debate are "you" discussing. By the numbers there you have shown that they don't burn the same. With running burning almost 50 calories a mile more.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Your body leaves the ground when you are running, a push against gravity. So there should be no debate, running burns more per mile than walking.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Your chart shows different burns, as anyone would expect and it makes sense....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    On top of the EPOC not being that high, what size person was used here as 11.25 cal/min at such a slow running pace seems inflated as well. At 250lbs it may be close.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Wasn't aware that there was a debate. It's pretty un-debatable. Running clearly burns more calories. You're increasing your heart rate, which increases your calories burned. It's kind of a no-brainer.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    MandaB9780 wrote: »
    Wasn't aware that there was a debate. It's pretty un-debatable.

Unless, of course, the OP is *looking* for a debate--gods know we're good for that around here...
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »

Unless, of course, the OP is *looking* for a debate--gods know we're good for that around here...

I totally disagree! Wanna fight about it?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    MandaB9780 wrote: »
    Wasn't aware that there was a debate. It's pretty un-debatable.

To be fair, it comes up quite frequently on the boards here. There *are* a lot of people who believe that you burn the same amount for walking a mile and running a mile, since the mile walk takes longer. Even Runner's World wrote an article on the "debate". This is the third one from them I've seen on the topic.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I thought the formula for calories burned was:
    For running: Weight in pounds times .62 times distance in miles. 185# * .62 = 114 cals. per mile running
    For walking: Weight in pounds times .30 times distance in miles. 185# * .30 = 55 cals. per mile walking.

Seems the debate is more the amount of calories burned in each/either/any activity. I'm beginning to think that the world may never know and only give us guesses. Maybe best guesses maybe just guesses. But guesses none-the-less.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Is there still a debate?

Not that I know of. Why? What have you heard?
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I thought the formula for calories burned was:
    For running: Weight in pounds times .62 times distance in miles. 185# * .62 = 114 cals. per mile running
    For walking: Weight in pounds times .30 times distance in miles. 185# * .30 = 55 cals. per mile walking.

Seems the debate is more the amount of calories burned in each/either/any activity. I'm beginning to think that the world may never know and only give us guesses. Maybe best guesses maybe just guesses. But guesses none-the-less.

These are the formulas I've always seen, too. I thought they were pretty heavily researched.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have seen what I consider many silly fitness/nutritional debates but this is the first I have heard of this one. Again a no brainer.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    running burns more calories than walking because your body has to use more energy to do it
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

I totally disagree! Wanna fight about it?

Oh, it's on now... :smiley:
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have never walked a mile. I always sprint. What i do know is that once you are running faster than an 9 min mile you do not burn more calories which seems dumb to me but does seem to be the case. So running a 9min mile and a 7 min mile for me both burn about 130cal.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    unless we talk walking uphill
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I think it is kind of pointless to compare calories burned for walking versus running from a distance/mileage perspective when they obviously take very different amounts of time. Of course everyone knows that per minute and per hour, running burns more. It looks like the same is also true per mile, but to a lesser degree since walking a mile takes about twice as long. So I'm not sure how helpful it is to consider how many calories you burn in 9 minutes of running vs. 18 minutes of walking, or whatever the case may be.