Looking for Plant Based/Low Cal./High Protein foods/recipes

cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
Looking for Plant Based/Low Cal./High Protein foods/recipes

I know lentils and beans are good sources but they are higher in calories. Without doing protein shakes, are there protein sources that can get close to the protein/kcal of chicken (30 g/ 180 kcal = 4 oz)?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Have you checked out seitan? It's one of the highest protein plant foods there is.
  • Jindeed
    Jindeed Posts: 22 Member
    Seitan comes pretty close depending on how dense you make it. The batch I made recently has 30 grams of protein and 160 calories for 5 ounces (and this was a pretty "light" recipe).
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    just here to agree with the seitan recommendation - super versatile, easy to make, high protein/ low calorie goodness.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Seitan is good. But I usually buy it at the store and it's expensive. Making my own might work.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    cee134 wrote: »
    Seitan is good. But I usually buy it at the store and it's expensive. Making my own might work.

Making your own is pretty cheap (assuming you have access to gluten) and it allows you to totally control the other ingredients/taste.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    you can get vital wheat gluten on amazon, or maybe cheaper in the bulk foods section of a health food store. i thought making seitan would be more difficult than it is, but it turns out it just takes a while.
  • workhardtogethard
    workhardtogethard Posts: 49 Member
    Vital wheat gluten is also at conventional stores like Kroger and Meijer in the flour section.