Battered Cod with dill sauce

Options
hufflypuff
hufflypuff Posts: 185 Member
I recently purchased a cook book from barns & nobles called Pillsbury: Fast & healthy. This book does an amazing job of talking about nutrition from front to back. Each recipe has its ingredients listed, how to make the food, random factoid or idea and tells the nutritional values of the foods. So far I have tried 2 recipes. Turkey Burgers and fish fillets. I could try to explain how amazing the battered cod was and how easy it was but instead I will just share the recipe that takes about 20 minutes start to finish.

1 egg
1/2 cup italian dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1lb cod (or other mild white fish I just found cod to be a good choice)

beat egg in one bowl. Put crumbs in other bowl. bread the fish and fry 5 minutes per side.

The recipe calls for fat free tartar sauce... I tried this and wanted to gag. My suggestion for a sauce would be 2 table spoons Kraft mayo with olive oil mixed with some dill weed.

Replies

• LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    battered cod???

isn't that cod abuse?

not to mention "beating" eggs...I used to be a strict vegetarian

maybe this can explain why :laugh:

but seriously, glad you are enjoying the cookbook!!! best wishes in ALL your endeavors:flowerforyou:
  • momlet2
    momlet2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm anxious to try this! I went to the recipe section to type all this in and get the nutrition info for the recipe - how many servings does this make? Sounds yummy - and I like your tartar sauce alternative!
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    This sounds pretty good thanks for the post
  • hufflypuff
    Options
    rabbitslave- Well that being said I gave up greasy hamburgers up years ago for boca burgers. And for a nice veg recipe I would suggest a morning star chicken patty cooked in the microwave for 80 seconds covered in a moist paper towel then chopped up and thrown in a who grain tortilla with a little bbq sauce and some spinach. :)

Momlet2- the recipe calls for 1 lb of cod and makes 4 servings with the following nutritionals

cal- 220
    fat- 7g
    sat fat- 1.5g
    cholesterol- 115 mg
    carbs- 14g
    sodium- 470 mg
    vit A- 4%
    Calcium- 4%
    Iron- 6%
  • momlet2
    momlet2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sounds great - thanks!! I'm anxious to try it out!
  • hufflypuff
    Options
    I bought the cook book last week and have had it 3 times since I bought the book! Very worth it if you like fish. And if you are not a real fish lover the Italian bread crumbs do a good job of taking away the fishy taste. Let me know how you like it when you try it. I will continue to post other recipes that I find particularly yummy.