Scales going down but don't see any difference

Options
Hello

I seem to be the opposite to most people the scales are moving 25.6lb in 9 weeks but I don't see any change in my shape. A couple of people I know say they can see a difference but I'm not sure if they are just being polite. My husband says he can't see any difference either.

I do have a total of 105lb to loose so maybe I am just wishing to see changes but in fact will take a lot longer.

Has anyone else experienced this.

BTW I have no intentions of giving up or anything I am just curious.

Replies

• TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You and your husband see yourself everyday. Take progress pictures. It'll help when you can see instant comparisons rather than the gradual day-to-day changes.

I lost about 60 lbs before I really noticed just by looking in the mirror, but looking at pictures I saw a HUGE difference.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I agree with @TheCrawlingChaos. It's worth taking your measurements also, you'll probably be surprised by the change. Keep up the great work - it's really positive that you're asking the question as opposed to automatically becoming disheartened and giving up, well done! :)
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I agree to take pictures!

I don't see a difference in the mirror but my progress pictures show a decent change!!
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Take pictures. I didn't see my first 20 -25. photos kept me going.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I didn't see a big difference until I lost about 30lbs. Others said they did, but I didn't. Photos and keep going. Also use your clothes to judge. At 30lbs off my clothes no longer felt like they were squeezing me to death and I had to go down a size.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot of weight to lose, the first 50lbs or so will usually having looking like a smaller version of yourself. Meaning the proportions are the same, you're just smaller.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you have a lot of weight to lose, the first 50lbs or so will usually having looking like a smaller version of yourself. Meaning the proportions are the same, you're just smaller.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This.

I've lost almost 30lbs (so damn close). And I look the same. I know I'm smaller as I've dropped a pant size and I take measurements, but I look like I did 30lbs ago. Hang in there. It will happen.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    a. It can be hard to see a change when you see yourself everyday. Someone who has not seen you in a while is more likely to see it.

b. Your image of yourself may not be realistic. Try taking pictures and look at them. I don't know what it is - but our eyes play tricks on what we see in the mirror. To a certain extent, I never saw myself as being much overweight, until I saw pictures. And I think the same trick makes it hard to see the positive change as well.

c. How is your posture? This may not be relevant but mine was awful. When I started working on it, I saw a difference in how I looked (in terms of size) and started getting more comments. That is perhaps somewhat mental. Good posture looks more confident and confidence tends to generate positive feedback.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements? Are your clothes even a tiny bit looser? Our perception of ourselves in t h e mirror is inaccurate and the last to change. We usually don't see ourselves as fa t as we are to begin with and we don't see the changes as the weight comes off. Self perception is not a reliable method to measure progress so we need to find other ways to track.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely take pictures. Eventually you will notice a difference in the way your clothes fit as well. Keep it up and one day you'll be pleasantly surprised :smile:
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Same here. I need to lose at least 100 and I'm down 26lbs as of this morning. Aside from a slight difference in my clothes so far my loss isn't noticeable. No one in my life has said anything yet, aside from my mom who I know is just being supportive. I took pics at the 20 pound mark, in the same dress I was wearing when I started losing, in the same mirror, at the same angles. I had to look very hard to see a difference. It was a little discouraging to say the least. I'm hoping the 40 pound pics will be more exciting. :)
  • Cohalligan
    Cohalligan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The mental image comparison that really helped me be patient and wait was that of a paper towel roll. Think of a roll of paper towel. Now, imagine each sheet is a pound of fat. Losing one pound of fat won't make much difference in the beginning because it doesn't even go around the roll once, but at the end of the roll it might go around it 3-4 times. The more times the paper towel goes around the roll the more you will notice it's loss once you've gotten rid of it.

So, right now you are probably pulling the top layers of paper towel off the roll, but later when you have less to use you will see the difference faster.