Fitbit and overall calories

Options
2»

Replies

• callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »
    I had that happen once. I live close to railroad tracks and had my fitbit charging on a tv tray, so it vibrates a lot when a train goes by. It sometimes feels like a small earthquake when trains go by.

I wear my fitbit to bed to track sleep and I usually have about 300 steps logged by morning. I guess I move a lot in my sleep. So I know my fitbit isn't accurate for the step count. I got up and walked 1/4 mile this morning, plus the little bit of walking around my house, and it says 3300 steps already. I know that isn't accurate.

tbf the steps do actually seem to be ore accurate for me now once ive started tracking them, like the walk home from the bus stop has been consistently around the 1500 mark
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    My Fitbit gives me a 3500-5000 calorie burn daily. I'm pretty active but I don't trust it on days where it sometimes goes to 5k+

what do you consume in calories to make up for that loss :D
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I ignore everything my fitbit tells me to do. Look at what happens on the scale and set a sane TDEE goal. This is the only accurate way to do it.
  • SweetySusie
    SweetySusie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    fitbit page actually explains this : https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1381

"Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the rate at which you burn calories at rest just to maintain vital body functions like breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity. Your BMR usually accounts for at least half of the calories you burn in a day and is estimated based on the physical data you entered when you set up your account: gender, age, height, and weight.

The calorie burn estimate that Fitbit provides takes into account your BMR, the activity recorded by your tracker, and any activities you log manually.

Your tracker's calorie count will reset each night at midnight and begin counting immediately thereafter. BMR is the reason your tracker starts the day with calories already burned—you've still burned calories even if you haven't gotten out of bed yet."

Point being, use more then 1 way to track if your really depending on burn #. fitbit is tracking BMR not just calories used in exercise.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    fitbit page actually explains this : https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1381

"Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the rate at which you burn calories at rest just to maintain vital body functions like breathing, heartbeat, and brain activity. Your BMR usually accounts for at least half of the calories you burn in a day and is estimated based on the physical data you entered when you set up your account: gender, age, height, and weight.

The calorie burn estimate that Fitbit provides takes into account your BMR, the activity recorded by your tracker, and any activities you log manually.

Your tracker's calorie count will reset each night at midnight and begin counting immediately thereafter. BMR is the reason your tracker starts the day with calories already burned—you've still burned calories even if you haven't gotten out of bed yet."

Point being, use more then 1 way to track if your really depending on burn #. fitbit is tracking BMR not just calories used in exercise.

Yeah but surely your exercise and activity level throughout the aday is added to the BMR to give you your TDEE?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Yeah but surely your exercise and activity level throughout the aday is added to the BMR to give you your TDEE?

That is correct.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    So my total cals burned Aug 1 -7 was 21,600 so an average of 3085 per day yet I've been eating at over 3500 calories yet i'm still not gaining?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    So my total cals burned Aug 1 -7 was 21,600 so an average of 3085 per day yet I've been eating at over 3500 calories yet i'm still not gaining?

Fitbit does under estimate the calorie burn for some people. You will have to go by your own data over a period of time to find your true TDEE.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options

Fitbit does under estimate the calorie burn for some people. You will have to go by your own data over a period of time to find your true TDEE.

own data? or own experience more like?