hula hoop!

Options
after 15 agonizing minutes on the elliptical (most days I do 30 but today I just couldn't... it was so Boring) I looked over and saw my hula hoop... I can not explain how quickly this brought me to smiles. I found myself walking around my living room and letting my kittens marvel at the fast spinning hoop around my hips. I started doing spins and all those things I loved doing as a younger kid. After 10 minutes of this I realized I was actually a little short on breath and my midsection was starting to hurt a little. For some reason I never would have though of my hula hoop as the fun thing to do and possibly tone up but after some further reading online it is apparently a viable exercise for those of us that just can't stand the traumatizing minutes on the elliptical or treadmill.

Replies

• rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    i love the hula hoop! Its a great alternative.
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    i do the hula hoop on the wi, its def a good workout.x
  • fit4justme
    fit4justme Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine started to hula hoop about a year ago and her midsection is to die for! She just goes on youtube and searches hula hoop workouts and learns them. Who would have thought something we grew up loving to do would make such a come back, huh.
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I know a ladyt that is over 60....who lost weight through buying meals on tv....whichever weight loss prgram it was....her before and after picture was on tv......AND she ALSO hulla hooped everyday to lose weight! she looks great! Everyone asks her how she keeps in shape...and she tells them about her hulla hoop!! Im going to have to buy one....and watch tv while I do it! That is awesome! Totally forgot about that! Great reminder for me!
  • ai965
    ai965 Posts: 118
    Options
    I love my weighted hula hoop! I added the exercise to MFP not to long ago, if you want to log it. Did you use a normal plastic hoop or a 3-5 lb one? I've just started using mine again (pretty light, only 3 pounds), and I do about 30 mins in a day and have to wait a week afterwards for my abs to heal before I use it again. Great to hear there are more out there discovering the wonderful uses of the hoop!
  • hufflypuff
    hufflypuff Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I was considering buying a weighted hula hoop if I keep wanting to hula hoop but for now I have a hula hoop that is like 8 years old. It has water for balance instead of beads. I would say its maybe 2 lbs. I could never hula hoop with those light ones with beads in them.
  • whitehandlady
    whitehandlady Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    wow!~ okay thanks for this bc that's all i need...a truly fun exercise that i can do in or outdoors...like you i was thinking of things i loved doing when i was young and exercise was still fun to me...lol...so i bought an old style shwinn big seater bike and i love it!...but hoola hooping is a great rainy day, cold day, or way to hot day alternative...thanks!
  • Ali5581
    Ali5581 Posts: 13
    Options
    ooh I have 13 hoops......lots of different sizes and a pair of twin hoops for doing arm "tricks" I used to take hoop dancing classes which were so much fun and now that the summer is finally here I should really dust those hoops off and take them to the park to play with :D so much fun and a great workout.......and for the really adventurous you could try fire hooping!!!
  • megruder
    megruder Posts: 216
    Options
    I just read about this in Shape magazine.

http://www.hoopnotica.com/
  • pickenslmc
    pickenslmc Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have been using a weighted hoop (4 pounds) for about 3 weeks. Right now I do about 10 minutes a day. I already can see a difference in my waist-but I hope it starts to help my lower belly too. It is fun. I have a few toy hula hoops that I use I just want to play around.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Tee hee I hoop dance. :) I've been doing it for 9 months now (I think) I love it! :) I also do fire and LED. :) (The link to my vids is on my profile)
  • emilyjean94
    Options
    Does anyone know how much hooping actually burns? I know I work up a sweat when I hoop but I just get scared its not burning enough!
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how much hooping actually burns? I know I work up a sweat when I hoop but I just get scared its not burning enough!

IT's a lot more than the elliptical... I can't remember what my HRM told me last time, so I'll have to recheck
  • SweetTeaBlossom
    Options
    I read hula hooping can burn 80 -100 calories every 10 minutes. I've been looking for one and they've either been sold out or the quality is really poor.
  • luv2shop2011
    luv2shop2011 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That is a great idea I just saw these 50% off at Target. Maybe I will go back tomorrow and pick one up. WOO HOO for fun exercize.
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options

Experts say it burns almost 500 calories an hour.
    hoopnotica.com, hoopcity.ca, hooping.org. Gorgeous hoops at etsy.com. Check out the "spreaditround" shop.
  • jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump im going ot have to look into this it looks like fun