A visit with the psychic

Options

Replies

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I went once, a woman at my nail salon. I didn't pay her, just gave her a ride home. She was frighteningly accurate, knowing things that there was no way she could have known about me. Totally freaked me out, in a good way. She changed my life. I'll never forget her.
  • kate141987
    kate141987 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    kate141987 wrote: »
    Believer here, iv visited a physic medium once after my mother died and most of what he told me was true, meant something to me and I'd find it hard to believe a stranger could have known or said what he said to me.

It totally depends who is doing the reading, cos there are fakes out there, I would advise going to a reputable establishment such as a spiritualist church and booking a private reading with one of their mediums

:)
    If they were really psychic, it should all be true. If not, then they are just guessing based on how they pose a question to you.
    A common question "you recently lost a relative?" That could mean anything from a parent to a 3rd cousin. And you're like "how did they know that?"

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I should have been more specific, I meant most of what he told me was true to me at that time. Some information I did not understand, he spoke about other people in my family who have passed and are with my mother, I don't know a great deal about my family since my mum was adopted at a young age. So I can't be 100% on that. But everything else I knew to be true
  • G085H173
    G085H173 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I think most of them are fake. I have a friend who does this for a living and I think she's pretty legit, but people like "Ms. Cleo" and whatnot are just charlatans. Most just tell you what you want to hear and charge you an arm and a leg for it.

I went to a psychic when I was about 24. She told me I was going to be married with 3 kids by the time I was in my 30's. I'm 43 and still waiting....

I think it's a disgrace that you "are still waiting"! All the blokes where you are obviously have no taste!!
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better about something what's the harm?
    I know someone who was told by a psychic he'd be in a car accident and was then afraid to leave the house. that's not good.
    But if you go into it knowing it's for entertaining I don't see a problem
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    I know someone who was told by a psychic he'd be in a car accident and was then afraid to leave the house. that's not good.
    Well there are lots of people who truly believe and get hosed by giving up hard earned money. There are lots of stories of how people got their money taken because they believed in a reknowned psychic. Preying on people who may be in a vunerable state at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_csbLD_TK7Y

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• amwoods72
    amwoods72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yep, sorry. Don't buy it. If they were truly psychic wouldn't they be rich? They'd know winning numbers or be able to bet on any game. They are fake and out for your money.
  • synchkat
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Well there are lots of people who truly believe and get hosed by giving up hard earned money. There are lots of stories of how people got their money taken because they believed in a reknowned psychic. Preying on people who may be in a vunerable state at the time.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I said it's ok if you go into it for entertainment purposes. If people are being taken advantage of by a psychic they probably will be by someone else. I know a relative of a televangelist, I have been to his "show" same thing.
    There's lots of people who believe a shake or a new fitness sensation will make them skinny and fit. People will always believe something and get as you say "hosed". whether they're a psychic, so called "coach" anything really...human nature. Some people like to believe in something
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    I had a psychic tell me that I'd meet my future husband by the time I am 35, he's in the medical field & that we'd have 2 children. Well I am 36, still single & going through early menopause but nearly all of the men, that I took any sort of interest in; was in the medical field. So I guess, just believe the opposite; of they tell you! However because I've had a near death experience, when I was 5; I do believe that some might be authentic, especially since many people, don't believe in near death experiences either but I just haven't met 1 or knowingly have yet. Oh supposedly I am going to meet someone, at the end of the Summer. Possibly the man, I was suppose to meet; before my 36th birthday?
  • 44to44
    44to44 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'm a skeptic, generally, but one time I was a bit freaked out by someone's "prediction" --I was at an office Christmas party. The entertainment was a Chinese chef who cooked for us and also gave us predictions. I was standing in the back of the room and he singled me out and said "You in the back there-you have problem between your t*ts and cl*t (don't know if those words would be censored), while motioning to the general area between my chest and hooha. KEEP IN MIND THIS WAS AN OFFICE PARTY --for a pretty conservative law office. I was mortified. "You will need big operation but you be ok". Four or 5 months later, I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst the size of a melon that required major surgery. So he was spot on. Weird.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I said it's ok if you go into it for entertainment purposes. If people are being taken advantage of by a psychic they probably will be by someone else. I know a relative of a televangelist, I have been to his "show" same thing.
    There's lots of people who believe a shake or a new fitness sensation will make them skinny and fit. People will always believe something and get as you say "hosed". whether they're a psychic, so called "coach" anything really...human nature. Some people like to believe in something
    It's a little different though. With televangelists, "coaches", supplement companies, etc. they appeal to masses of people putting in a little money. It would take a lot to have them go broke. So while yes people may get deception, it's usually not on a monetary scale that breaks them.
    A psychic can gain so much trust in a person and flat out knowingly take them of their life savings in a few months like the lady portrayed.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • synchkat
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's a little different though. With televangelists, "coaches", supplement companies, etc. they appeal to masses of people putting in a little money. It would take a lot to have them go broke. So while yes people may get deception, it's usually not on a monetary scale that breaks them.
    A psychic can gain so much trust in a person and flat out knowingly take them of their life savings in a few months like the lady portrayed.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Apparently the televangelist I knew spoke directly to people or so they believed.
    But I digress. There's lots of personal trainers or sports coaches making lots of money off of people who put their complete trust in them. It's why I quite coaching skating, I can't lead people on that with two hours more coaching a week their child will be a star if I don't see potential yet I know many who are happy to do this and take money. I do it for free and correct what so called paid coaches taught.

As I said before its human nature to want to believe the best will happen and many will search until they find it.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Waaallll, I may be a Bible thumper, but these jokers who call themselves preachers and go about claiming to predict the future, supposedly healing people, and saying they "know" things about others are worse than the "psychics." Psychics know that people sometimes see them as mere entertainment and only a few will actually believe them; the preachers, however, claim to speak for G-D Almighty. The preachers, then, are sick, dangerous people.

I do know some about the psychics. That was not what Mother called herself, but she did the same works as today's psychics, and she called herself a witch.

She "knew" things before they happened. For example, she knew that her father was going to die before he did, and that gave her some comfort upon his death, thinking she was special.

She also "knew" some of her children's indiscretions, when there was no way she could have "known." But can't we say that of mothers and fathers who are actually in touch with their children, who know their tendencies, etc. ?

Mother was very clear to me when I told her I was going to marry my first husband. Her response was that it wouldn't happen. We married. Later, when he was killed, she claimed that actually she knew the marriage would not last. She was also very much against my marrying my second husband, saying that it would prove to be a mistake. Well, we are still married 29 years later, with neither the desire nor thought to end it.

Okay. Sometimes, we just "have feelings" about things. That is ordinary. The two of us went looking for someone to do some work on our RV yesterday. The first business: they were nice enough, and we were impressed that they were open about being Christians on their signage. But in the end, neither of us had peace about them doing the work. We went to a second place, and we both walked away from there saying we thought they should do the job. Sometimes, we cannot put into words, or even into coherent thought, what impresses us to do certain things. These psychics similarly pick up clues and act upon them while we sit and nod, wondering how.

If the psychics were real, they would not have to live and operate in the places they do. They would not need money for what they do, because they would know how to get money without lowering themselves to that level.
  • synchkat
    Options
    Waaallll, I may be a Bible thumper, but these jokers who call themselves preachers and go about claiming to predict the future, supposedly healing people, and saying they "know" things about others are worse than the "psychics." Psychics know that people sometimes see them as mere entertainment and only a few will actually believe them; the preachers, however, claim to speak for G-D Almighty. The preachers, then, are sick, dangerous people.

I do know some about the psychics. That was not what Mother called herself, but she did the same works as today's psychics, and she called herself a witch.

She "knew" things before they happened. For example, she knew that her father was going to die before he did, and that gave her some comfort upon his death, thinking she was special.

She also "knew" some of her children's indiscretions, when there was no way she could have "known." But can't we say that of mothers and fathers who are actually in touch with their children, who know their tendencies, etc. ?

Mother was very clear to me when I told her I was going to marry my first husband. Her response was that it wouldn't happen. We married. Later, when he was killed, she claimed that actually she knew the marriage would not last. She was also very much against my marrying my second husband, saying that it would prove to be a mistake. Well, we are still married 29 years later, with neither the desire nor thought to end it.

Okay. Sometimes, we just "have feelings" about things. That is ordinary. The two of us went looking for someone to do some work on our RV yesterday. The first business: they were nice enough, and we were impressed that they were open about being Christians on their signage. But in the end, neither of us had peace about them doing the work. We went to a second place, and we both walked away from there saying we thought they should do the job. Sometimes, we cannot put into words, or even into coherent thought, what impresses us to do certain things. These psychics similarly pick up clues and act upon them while we sit and nod, wondering how.

If the psychics were real, they would not have to live and operate in the places they do. They would not need money for what they do, because they would know how to get money without lowering themselves to that level.

I'm apparently related to a "Mother" she lived in a cave in the UK and predicted that one day people would fly, among other things. Clearly she was right because we do fly...in planes but legend says she knew that too. :)

The fact I'm related to her is true so my Grandma claimed
  • kate141987
    Options
    Iv been kinda brought up to believe in spirits, afterlife and spiritual awakening and phycics.

I do believe I have experienced things and witnessed things that are proof enough for me. I think we all have phycic capabilities but some people are more evolved than others it comes more naturally to them and they chose to follow that path and giving phycic readings are only one part of a much larger thing.

But there are some people who are deluded and arnt practising mediumship at all, they are conning other people and themselves. I cannot stand anyone who rips someone off be it a fake phycic or anything else.

I would like to tune more into my phycic abilities but I know it takes a lot of dedication and work and most importantly faith and belief in it. But it's difficult when your busy with day to day life.

I will probably visit another medium at some point but I wouldn't continuously go because you have to live your life you can't rely on getting 'messages' and trying to find out about the future. But I do think there is a time and place for it
  • kate141987
    Options

I'm apparently related to a "Mother" she lived in a cave in the UK and predicted that one day people would fly, among other things. Clearly she was right because we do fly...in planes but legend says she knew that too. :)

The fact I'm related to her is true so my Grandma claimed

That is really interesting :smile:
  • kate141987
    Options
    kate141987 wrote: »
    Iv been kinda brought up to believe in spirits, afterlife and spiritual awakening and phycics.

I do believe I have experienced things and witnessed things that are proof enough for me. I think we all have phycic capabilities but some people are more evolved than others it comes more naturally to them and they chose to follow that path and giving phycic readings are only one part of a much larger thing.

But there are some people who are deluded and arnt practising mediumship at all, they are conning other people and themselves. I cannot stand anyone who rips someone off be it a fake phycic or anything else.

I would like to tune more into my phycic abilities but I know it takes a lot of dedication and work and most importantly faith and belief in it. But it's difficult when your busy with day to day life.

I will probably visit another medium at some point but I wouldn't continuously go because you have to live your life you can't rely on getting 'messages' and trying to find out about the future. But I do think there is a time and place for it
    Scottish pants, is weed legal over there in the highlands?! You okay?

I'm fine thanks for askin lol went off on one there but I'm completely sober, can you imagine what I'd be like stoned? Anyway I wouldn't smoke weed, it dulls the senses and that would get in the way of my phycic awakening.

I can't even spell phycic but there you go
  • Dove0804
    Dove0804 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Nope- completely fake- entertainment purposes only, but humans will believe anything and everything. I believe some people believe they are psychic. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing if someone is truly helped by it, but a lot of times I'm disgusted with the exploitation- i.e. making money by pretending to talk to dead pets, etc. I guess it could be used as a form of therapy for those who believe, but there's a very thin line of morality there.

The "good" ones are the people who are good at reading others. "Psychics" draw their information from anything and everything- the way someone responds to a question, what they're wearing, their mannerisms, etc. Questions start off very broad or ambiguous, or are things that are applicable to a lot of people (the death of a loved one or pet is a typical one). They feed off of the responses- a lot of people continue to give more information about how the reading applies to them without realizing it. From there it gets easier and easier to tell people what they want to hear.

You hear it time and time again (even several times in this thread)- "they told me things they could NOT have known!!!" but I guarantee they used a combination of being good at reading people, feeding off of responses, starting with general statements/things applicable to a lot of people, etc like I already mentioned. Sometimes, they just get lucky. When they are wrong, many are good at quickly changing the subject or backtracking "oh no, I didn't mean that I meant..."

People find confirmation in their beliefs where they can and reject what doesn't fit. It's human nature. We do that with everything.

I signed up to get e-mails every day that contain various words of wisdom. I love reading them, and most days they eerily are applicable to whatever thing I'm going through that day/week/whatever. They are beautifully worded and often really hit home. The thing is, they are purposefully worded to place intimacy where there is none. If I sit there and think about it, I realize that each message is incredibly ambiguous and could apply to pretty much everyone and for a myriad of situations. I just know what is going on with ME and my mind automatically finds a way to apply them to MY life.

The stuff about predicting the future? They never have to wait around to see if they're right. They have their money and never have to prove themselves. If they're lucky, then they've hooked a believer, but otherwise they can say whatever they want with no consequences.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    So, I sat down with a palm reader once, at a renaissance fair, on a lark.
    She took both my hands and she said that one hand (the right, I believe) represents your character or identity, or something like that. And the other side represented your potential, which could be defined as your possible future. She qualified that a bit though. She said the lines can change as we evolve and grow. So, while you might not have some characteristic or potential when you are 18 years old, you might when you are 25 years....
    Anyway, she started by feeling the texture and musculature of my hand, as much as look at my lines. And she did not keep any mystery about what she was doing or thought. She said, for instance: "You have heavy calluses. You do physical labor obviously." That was true.
    She then started telling me other things, and I began to respond, and she stopped me. She said: "Don't confirm anything I say, or tell me anything. I want to tell you."
    Well, she told me that I was sensitive and intuitive, and that I would never be rich (Dang!), and that I had the potential to have two kids (I was young at the time -- 19 years old), and that I would travel a lot when I was young but not so much when I got old, among other things.
    It was rather depressing, really. I felt my future closing in about me, and none of it was terribly exciting.
    Now, all of those things were rather easy and general for somebody in her line of work to say. No way to check. Everyone thinks they are sensitive, or plagued by self-doubt, or whatever.
    Okay.
    But, then, she began to get really somewhat agitated, and serious, and she wagged a finger and lectured me sternly.
    "Do not ever get behind the wheel after a few drinks. And, watch how you take your medications very carefully. Only take them as prescribed -- ever! Don't mix alcohol and any medications...." She went on in this vein, until, finally, she ended with: "Because you have a poison line -- that's this line right here -- that is much like the poison lines that many alcoholics have!"
    Finally, she had said something that was not general, and not open to interpretation ("You're an introvert." Yeah, that's me! I hate talking in front of groups) and not something you could say to everyone.
    And you know what?
    She was right. My great-grandfather was an alcoholic. My grandfather was an alcoholic. My mother was an alcoholic. And, I am an alcoholic. But, she would have had no way of knowing that from any outward signs I displayed that day because I had been thru drug/alcohol treatment a little over a year before and had been sober ever since.
    Now, if my feet were held to the fire, I would have to say: Yeah, yeah. Hocus-pocus! There is no evidence these things are real, and we would have some evidence by now if they were real. I'm not stupid or gullible.
    But, if I had to give you advice, I'd say, go find that woman! She was spooky!