New to running ,advise please

Options
Hiya

Due to me losing weight and finally getting fitter I am now able to jog/run. I went for my first jog last Friday which I really enjoyed even tho I did find it rather awkward having the feeling everyone is looking at me job because of my size.

I found my self being able to jog at a good steady rate for about 4-5 mins .i want to build up my distance and length I can jog for. I did jog for about 45 mins .

Has anyone any advise that could help

Thanks

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Most folks will recommend C25K for a beginner because it's structured and incorporates proper rest days and increases intensity at a reasonable rate.

With that being said, if you decide to go at it on your own, make sure you only increase distance only by 10% per week. Much more than that and you will be increasing overuse injury risks.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Have you found the Couch to 5K plan yet? If not, I'd suggest looking it up. Starting to run can be daunting and fraught with chances for injury if not approached cautiously. The C25K plan is set up to get you running a 5K in about 9 weeks in a way that will minimize your chance of injury. The caveat is that you have to follow it exactly. No extra days of running because it seems easy or you're excited and keeping a slow, conversational pace rather than sprinting because "running means running fast" (it doesn't!) Avoid anything high impact on the days between running. If you still want to do something on the days between runs lift weights or pick a low impact activity like biking or swimming or even walking.

You say you can already run for 4-5 minutes. That's great but don't be fooled that you can simply pick up on the C25K program from that point. Your body needs time to adapt to the pounding that running gives your feet and leg joints. One day isn't a problem but after a few days in a row you'd be sidelined with some sort of pain. Trust me, I see it in here all of the time. The most common reason people get injured when they first start running is that they try to do too much too soon. Don't be a statistic! :lol:

At some point after the first couple of weeks, when you'll be walking more than running and it's not as important, go to a dedicated running store and get fitted for a pair of proper running shoes. If you've done that already, kudos! If you haven't, that old pair of trainers that were gathering dust in your closet are not a good substitute for running shoes that complement your running style and foot form. I learned that one the hard way myself. The right shoes instantly fixed the knee ache I'd been having and there were no more black toenails after that either.

Most of all, have fun!
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Don't even worry about anyone who might be watching. Trust me, most people are probably thinking, "Good for him." and anyone who is being critical will be blown away by the progress you'll soon be making. When I started running, the most important decision I made was about my running shoes. If you haven't already, you should get fitted. Or you can do what I did. Go into a shoe store, and try on every pair of running shoes they have on and choose the ones that feel most like slippers. Haha, Ok, I know it sounds funny, but seriouly, the shoes I ended up starting with had so much cushion to them that I felt like I was walking on clouds. (Adidas Energy Boost 2) I needed cushy because when I started running I was 205 lbs. I'm 155 now. :smile: Starting with the right shoes will help prevent unnecessary aches and pains in your feet, knees, shins, calves, ankles, back...and possibly other places I can't think of right now. I know that wasn't your question but I could not run a decent distance in the wrong shoes, and in the past I never realized that my back pain could be fixed by something as simple as a new pair of shoes.

Congratulations on your weight loss, and welcome!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    I will tell you there is absolutely no substitute for good moisture wicking underwear and a good pair of running socks.

On that note, avoid cotton shirts like the plague. Invest in some good quality moisture-wicking technical fabric shirts and a supply of Body Glide. It won't be so important at the start but if you decide to run longer distances after you're ready for 5Ks you'll learn the hard way what "chafing" really means.
  • chunckymark
    chunckymark Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just want to say thank you all so much, I have bought my self some Nike free 5.0 trainers which are comfy but il deffanaitly go and buy some decent shoes. Thanks all so much
  • beetle_stomper
    beetle_stomper Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    http://www.active.com/running/articles/running-shoe-guide-for-dummies

And to beat the horse a little more, TAKE IT SLOW. I've literally crippled myself by not following this advice. Sometimes it's frustrating, you may want to go harder and farther than you know is entirely good for you, but that's how you end up with a torn hip flexor and a knee the size of a cantaloupe (personally).
  • AnaBcycle
    AnaBcycle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would strongly suggest joining a run group. Jeff Galloway has several programs in different areas. Also Google run groups and your city, state. It's a great way to set attainable goals, stay motivated, meet new people and hopefully limit your injuries. Happy running
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Now that I have been running for a while my new philosophy is "He who finishes without injury wins." Find good stretches before and after. Keeping the hamstring flexible is critical.

Pay attention to your pains. A little muscle burn is fine, but don't overstrain your ligaments! As my physiotherapist argued, I can slow down now and recover in three days, or muscle through and cost me six months in recovery.

That being said, running is therapeutic good for mind and body, provides a free endorphin boost, lets me eat more, lowers my heart rate and blood pressure, and has made me much more body aware.
  • Danielle23J
    Danielle23J Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello!!!!! It is salient to pace yourself and practice proper breathing technique. I definitely concur with the posters. Take your time and worry less about what others think.
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    The best sure fire way to maximize your results is to use a Heart Rate monitor, which will tell you if you need to work harder or if you need to slow down. I strongly recommend looking into hr training.
  • taiannalynn
    taiannalynn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR and I like to record my runs and save the results. It's entirely satisfying to see my distance improve week after week.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    and if for some reason couch to 5k isn't for you there are many walk run programs out there.
  • gorple76
    gorple76 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Loads of good advice already but wanted to add my but! The thing that has kept me running for the past 18months, injury free (having started as very overweight and unfit) is getting out regularly. The first run after a break is always the hardest so don't have a break! I try to run at least 3 times a week, and on trails where possible, even if runs are short. I think this has helped me develop steadily and safely. I've increased very gradually, and kept within a zone of comfort where I only ever try to better myself and not worry about the pace or distance of other runners. I'm up to 18 miles now on my long runs which amazes me but I've got here from going steadily and consistently.
  • pylofm
    pylofm Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    1st thing I would do is change your id.... I run anywhere from 30 to 110kms per week depending.... and I would say this..... forget gps watches and all the gizmo's..... go run, if your need to walk...walk! then run some more.... but regardless of the weather..... go run..... enjoy the outside..... forget about times, splits, elevation and all the other nonesense.... Do what you can where you are with what you have.... Good luck and keep being awesome!

The best running shoes/gear are those that fit you and you are happy running in/with.... and trust me these attribute have very little to do with what the expensive shoe companies would have you know.... buy shoes on sale. :-)

And as for what other people think.... who cares?....
    "let them look, let them stare, just imagine them in their underwear :-)"

• meghanlila
    meghanlila Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sneakers are so important! make sure to go to a place where they will *kitten* your gait and guide you to the right shoes (and then go bargain hunting for them on the internet). They will save your joints from a world of pain! Also, break up running with muscle building exercises like squats and lunges to keep everything balanced.