Spinning is a pain in my a**

Options
Anyone else have this issue? lol I'm such a gym phobe I'm afraid to ask the instructor if i'm sitting wrong. My friend has an extremely small butt and I have a fairly large one... She has no trouble but I seriously almost walked out of class the other day because it was so painful! lol

Replies

• Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You get used to it. Invest in some cycling shorts if you're going to keep at it!
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Absolutely ask your instructor for assistance. They can make sure your bike is correctly adjusted. They should do this for you when they notice you're a new student. Also try investing in a pair of padded cycling shorts. They really help (do NOT wear undies with the shorts!)

Regardless, your bum will toughen up with time, if you can stick with it.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Make sure you have some decent, padded, cycling shorts and that the back of the saddle/seat is hitting you on your two "sit" bones. If not then adjust the seat forward or backward until it is. Even with all that, it's gonna be a pain in the a**, literally, for the first week or two. I can't walk normally during my first week of cycling after time off.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You and almost everyone else when they start cycling or spinning.

As the others have mentioned....the coach should spend a few minutes with you making sure the bike is properly fit to you. (ie proper seat height, handlebar height and adjust the seat fore/aft) A pair of cycling shorts won't hurt either, the chamois may make it feel like you're wearing a diaper at first but your sit bones will thank you.
  • Haley0888
    Haley0888 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Ill have to look into those shorts. This was only my second time cycling so maybe I also just need to get used to it.
  • Haley0888
    Haley0888 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Absolutely ask your instructor for assistance. They can make sure your bike is correctly adjusted. They should do this for you when they notice you're a new student. Also try investing in a pair of padded cycling shorts. They really help (do NOT wear undies with the shorts!)

Regardless, your bum will toughen up with time, if you can stick with it.

The instructor was really nice and showed me how to set up my bike so I think i'm sitting on it correctly... I guess it will just take some getting used to! :smile:
  • wildtxn
    wildtxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    everyone has different sit bones as well where you make contact with the seat. I don't know if your spin class has alternate size seats, but any bike shop could easily tell you your sizing. Your instructor helping you adjust to make sure you are positioned correctly is the other part. Pain should go away soon as long as you stick with it.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    as others have said padded bike shorts-the women's version-my best ones even have some thicker padding arto relieve pressure on sensitive areas-not just one big padded area-and yes, as noted, don't ewear anything under them.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I put a wide gel filled seat on my spin bike and wear gel padded bike shorts when riding. They help immensely in preventing a PITA during my 30 min spin bike rides.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    Haley0888 wrote: »
    Thanks! Ill have to look into those shorts. This was only my second time cycling so maybe I also just need to get used to it.

My instructor said it would take three sessions to get 'calluses' enough as to where it wouldn't feel like you just gave birth. She was right.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I could barely walk after the first 3 or so classes, my whole undercarriage felt bruised. But after a couple of weeks i got used to it and it stopped hurting.
  • lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You could also get a sheepskin bicycle seat cover. I don't do spinning but I do cycle outside and I love the padding from my sheepskin seat cover. I ordered it from villageshop.com (the only place online I could find a black one), and it was only $22.94 including shipping. It is shaped for a touring seat (wider than a racing seat), and would fit an exercycle.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'd give it a few more classes before you decide whether to try the padded shorts. It takes some time to get used to, but I found after my first few classes, it didn't hurt anymore.